“Great Location, a very good stay”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #391 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is my 4th time to this hotel. The location is unbeatable for access to Central London restaurants, theaters, shopping, and nightlife.

During Check-In we had problems. Around 5 days before, I had submitted a Your24 request for a 9am check-in, which was confirmed, however I was upgraded about 4 hours later to a suite. This was my own fault - I forgot to resubmit the Your24 request. As such, we arrived around 9am and could not check in but was assured the suite was good, so we waited. And waited. And waited. The staff were great, but when we were unable to check in at 3:20pm (after going to the gym, walking around London a bit tired, etc), we became frustrated. The check-in agent went behind reception to speak to the manager - and came back with good news that we were upgraded (again) to a WOW Suite on the 7th floor, which was available immediately. This was a nice recovery and the manager, Andrew (who I recognized from my last stay) came out, apologized and mentioned it was the same suite I stayed in last time.

Indeed it was - this is very large room with 2 bathrooms, a bath, 2-3 person shower, large amenities, large sofa, separate bedroom. It's a great room with interesting features and a fantastic view of Wardour St & Leicester Sq.

The rest of the stay was uneventful and enjoyable. Ice was delivered to the room promptly. The gym was as good as I had remembered it (and complimentary). As reported, the 'bouncers' outside the hotel will block the entrance and ask if you are a guest each time you come back, but that didn't bother us. The bed is (still) great and we had a wonderful 2 nights here. My only other comment was that the room was not cleaned very well - I had spilled a few (dry) pieces of my falling-apart backpack on the sofa - this was not cleaned or vacuumed on Day 2, and overall the room just didn't look spotless like it should. This, and the check-in mixup, resulted in 4/5 - otherwise I would have given them a 5 for this trip. Great value, W - we will be back!

Room Tip: High Floors
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SamW_DC
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear SamW_DC,

It’s good to receive such a great response. I am very pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square.

However, I was sorry to hear your note about the lapse in service for cleanliness. I have since shared your feedback with the relevant heads of department to ensure standards are met at all times and I thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Your kind words on my team are greatly appreciated and I will certainly share this with all of them as they too will appreciate this immensely.

I look forward to your return to W London – Leicester Square.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

The W is great, if a little psychedelic looking on the outside with its fantastic colour changing walls that cover the whole hotel. This looks fabulous and also blocks out the noise from the street below when you are in your room. Once you are in the main hotel, it feels like walking around inside something that Apple designed, with lots of white and black decor, neon lighting and shiny surfaces. The corridors to lead you to the rooms are dark as night - felt a bit like you were in Abercrombie & Fitch as you could barely see anything but it felt luxurious! The bed in our room was ENORMOUS and deliciously firm and was such a feature with gorgeously fat, stiff pillows, cushions and duvet. The lighting in the room had loads of different settings to create different moods which are fun to play around with!

However, as the room was designed as an all-in-once living space, with the bathroom sink in the middle of the room, and the shower in separate sections, this presented 2 problems. First of all, as the shower was so minimalist there was no shower tray, so every time you took a shower, the water happily flooded the floor and headed threateningly towards the carpet. Thus, we had to surrender the W dressing gowns to mop up the flood each time. This only happened in one of the rooms we stayed in. On another visit, it was absolutely fine. The second problem is a little more delicate, as there is very little privacy to be had if you are in the toilet cubicle. The glass and metal doors are echoey and you can hear pretty much everything from the outside as essentially you are sitting in a frosted glass echo box! Also I just don't think separating the toilet from the sink is a good idea, why not keep it minimal but in the same place? The door also was super creaky when opened and closed and would wake the other person if you took a late night trip to the loo, but that could just be a case of needing a little WD40 on the hinges.

One other issue was the time we stayed on maybe the 5th floor, we seemed to be much nearer to the in-hotel bar and I had trouble sleeping as I could still hear the music late into the night. But the higher up the hotel you stay (7th floor was lovely and quiet)

The staff throughout were especially helpful, especially when I had been given a delicate orchid in a vase as a valentines gift by my boyfriend. On checkout day I wanted to go out and shop before I came to collect my things before my train, so they happily took care of the orchid and kept it with my belongings and even searched for a bag that would protect it on the way home which I really appreciated.

The whole experience was lovely, and great to leave behind the chaos of leicester square behind.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go as high as you can up the floors to avoid noise from the hotel bar on the w...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Kristina J,

Thank you for sharing such a great review. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. However, I was sorry to hear about your experience in the past. I appreciate your point about the décor, this is rather unique as our intention behind this concept is to both maximise space and keep our guests comfortable.

It’s also great to hear that you appreciated our friendly team. I will happily pass these compliment‘s on to them as they have been working very hard to make every guest feel special.

I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I have stayed at the W in Piccadilly twice and was equally impressed with both visits, immaculate rooms, the whole hotel has a very cool, modern vibe about it but with a relaxed atmosphere. Had dinner at The Spice Market which was amazing, staff so friendly and attentive. Cocktails although pricey, you get what you pay for - probably the best I've had in London. Rather fond of this hotel, especially its fabulous glittering décor!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear LF220788,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It is good to see a guest detailing their flawless guest experience. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square including your dinner in Spice Market and your time in our W Lounge. Your kind words on my team are greatly appreciated and I will certainly be sharing these with all of them.

I hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed for two nights in June last year, and while it's very pricey it is very special inside. The lobby is very cool and modern in style, and the rooms are no different. While the rooms are a little on the small side, they offer a stylish stay in a fantastic location with plenty of dining and entertainment options in the vicinity.
I would definitely stay again, though would have to save up a bit first before going back!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Steve W,

Thank you for sharing your review. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in June last year. It’s also wonderful to know you appreciated the design of our rooms and Welcome area including our excellent location. With regards to your point about the price, we do believe that our rates are competitive, however your feedback is important to us and we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences.

I look forward to welcoming you back to W London – Leicester Square in the not to distance future.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I am a Londoner and always looking for great Brunch spots. Leicester Square would usually be the last place I'd look but then I found the W Does Brunch on Sundays... a super chilled out vibe for Sunday mornings eating fab food, drinking cocktails and listening to some great tunes spun by one of London's most gorgeous female DJ's. Our brunch went until it got dark outside - we just couldn't leave. The staff are friendly and helpful - it's seems like they all really love their job. Even if you don't stay in this hotel, or if you are a local, check out this place on Sundays at 12.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank OMMTraveller
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear OMMTraveller,

Thank you for sharing such a great feedback about your recent visit to W London – Leicester Square. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed W Does Brunch including your time in our W Lounge. I am very happy to hear that we managed to exceed your expectations. I would also like to also thank you for your kind words on my team, I will certainly share this with all of them including our Chef at Spice Market.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 9 January 2014

There is no better location, but it also means a lot of people and a lot of noise particularly at night.
It's a unique hotel with super service, the rooms are weird in size and layout. It's on the expensive side of things. I would return only if there is no other option in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julio G
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Julio G,

Thank you for sharing your review. I am very pleased to hear that overall you had a great time during your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to London!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

First - this is in a great location - very walkable to Soho, Piccadilly, South Bank, etc. That's really the only positive thing I have to say. You'd be best to find another hotel is the same West Bank - Leicester Square area.

You would think this hotel was built 20 or so years ago given the shape of the room. The furniture in the room was beat up, with scratches and missing edges and overall worn down-ness. There was a layer of dust on EVERYTHING - from the bathroom, to the bedroom, the phone, the desk, ick ick. It was exhausting cleaning the room so we can stay there.

The service was fine. We requested a Suite Upgrade as an SPG Platinum using my "Suite Upgrade" nights - and got a mildly larger room - "Cool Corner." But its not a suite -- and that is partially the hotel's fault and mostly Starwood's fault. There were additional issues with this - but I'll be handling those directly with Starwood.

By the way, that big post in the room is actually not cool, its totally in the way.

The room had a lot of cubbie space -- but very little hanging space. And everything was filled with W stuff - robes are nice, but please, I need to hang some clothing. They offered to bring a rack into the room - where would you put it? We ended up traveling out of the suitcase.

The bathroom was disgusting -- get some work done! The ceilings are peeling, the shower needs to be re-grouted, and as I said, layer of dust on everything. Example: the silver edges of the toilet paper holder - total layer of dust. That means they aren't cleaning time and time again.

Not worth our SPG points - very disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Andrew_and_Kate

Dear Andrew_and_Kate,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectation. I can assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously and we always look for ways to improve our guests’ experiences

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss all the points you have highlighted in detail on a one to one basis. Please feel free to contact me via email Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com at your convenience.

Once again, thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.