“Great hotel in a great location.”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #395 of 1,089 Hotels in London
“Great hotel in a great location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife for valentines. We are both late 20's and design minded. Check in was painfully slow as the guy waited to log in! However was given a free cupcake and 2 drinks vouchers for the bar so all was forgiven. Also he noted that I had accidently booked a twin room so quickly changed it to a king on the 7th floor.
Very modern design which we liked. Fir those wanting a traditional style hotel stay at the savoy or ritz. If you want upto date design stay here.
Room was spacious for london. Loved the modular design of storage areas and mirrored walls every where. Apparently the light was very bad for doing makeup, not a concern of mine really...
After a show we took 4 friends back to get some cocktails. The lounge bar was packed full with no chance of a table so we went upto our room. Cocktails were very well crafted and typical london prices (£12 ish for a cocktail).
The following morning we decided on room service breakfast which was pricey but tasty.
My one reason for not awarding a full 5 stars is down to one thing. WIFI. I still find it mind blowing that when you pay £250 for a standard room there is an extortionate rate of £15+ for 24hr wifi access. Much much cheaper chain hotels offer it for free, yet Starwood hotels dont. Very easy to accidently buy the wifi as we did. Starwood change your money grabbing policies and have many more happier guests.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin V
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Martin V,

Thank you for sharing such a great review. I am pleased to hear you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us at W London Leicester Square during Valentine’s Day. I was sorry to hear about the delays you experienced on arrival. Generally, one is able to login quite quickly. It is possible that this could have been due to recent updates which were carried out on our internal systems earlier in the day.

Your point on Wi-Fi is important to us as we are always looking ways to improve guest services. However, I am not sure if you were made aware of the free Wi-Fi available in the W Lounge.

Once again, thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to W London Leicester Square!

Coen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

Difficult to review the chain of W hotels. They represent a certain chic and their rooms often reflect this mantra. The location in Leicester square was perfect, sitting just above the M+M's world. Its across the road from the Book of Mormons (best musical currently on the west end) and the tube station is a two minute walk.

Once you enter the rooms its a bit of a shock. ITs effectively a one room studio. No ensuite. The shower and toilet are separately placed like walk in wardrobes and the sink is in the middle of the living room.

Every little details has been attended to in this hotel. The finishings and decoration are all hipster chic which i deplore but the quality of the room was sensational. The bed was very comfortable and all the staff were very attentive. Room service was expensive and the portions are small but the quality was high.

I have never been to a hotel where such tremendous thought has been given to each and every aspect. Pets were allowed also. The Windows of the room were able to be open which is always welcome and internet was 15 pounds/day

The W seems to blow most of the competition out of the water. Overall, having stayed at some of the top hotels highlights flaws in what we consider to be the 5 star experience.

I will always return to stay in W when I come back to London. We were here for 4 nights and next time I would envisage staying longer. Highly Recommended

Dear PhilHuang,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review. It is great to see a guest detailing their flawless experience. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed all aspect of your recent stay with us at W London Leicester Square including the excellent location and the comforts of your room. Your positive notes on my team are greatly appreciated and I will be sure to share these with my entire team.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

This is a great find in SoHo. We went there on a Saturday night without reservations, which was a bad idea. The wait staff was extremely nice and helpful. We were put on the waiting list, and we were about fourth or fifth on the list. The place was completely packed with people.

We sat at the bar, and the waitress said we could sit at one of the reserved tables because the group was coming later. We ordered drinks and food while we waited for our table. After about two hours, the hostess called us and they had a table available. By this time we were already full from all the food we ordered while waiting, we declined the table. We ended up hanging out with other groups of people and became very friendly with the waitress. At one point of the night, they were passing out free appetizers. We had sushi rolls and chicken dishes that were extremely tasty.

You have to check out the restrooms as well.

The staff and guests there are all very friendly, we ended up become friends with everyone that was around us. It was a great atmosphere filled with great people.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BoysInNY
Dear BoysInNY,

Thanks for sharing such a great review! It’s good to hear that you enjoyed your visit to W London Leicester Square including the atmosphere in our W Lounge. I am also very pleased to hear that you appreciated my friendly team and the services provided to you. These warming words hold great value to me and I will certainly share these with all of them.

I look forward to welcoming you back!

Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

I know what W tries hard to be trendy and I am probably to old for this, but the rooms in the W are just too crazy with the bathroom right in the middle of the room and the "desk" right on the wash basin and the bed almost under the same sink. The shower and the toilet are "hidden" in cupboards. It's like being in some sort of post-industrial waste land. The entrance looks like a tube station entrance and the corridors are so dark that it is uncomfortable when when you meet somebody. Music everywhere of course. My room was not cleaned, while my room service breakfast missed items. The restaurant is probably nice in the evening, but when used as the breakfast room it smells like an asian restaurant it is. not very pleasant.
On the positive side, all staff i met were very friendly and helpful; the location is great, while the gym is amongst the best that i know; large with great bay windows.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear mjelling,

Thank you for sharing your detailed review. I am sorry to hear that your recent stay with us at W London Leicester Square did not meet your expectation.

I was sorry to hear that your room was not services and that some items on your room service were missing. I will follow this up with the relevant heads of department to ensure standards are met at all times.

I appreciate your comments on the designs of our rooms, these were designed to both maximise space and comfort and I also understand that it is not to everyone’s liking. On the positive note, I am very pleased to hear your kind notes on my team, these mean a lot to me and I will certainly be sharing these with all of them.

I hope you will revisit us again in the not too distance future.

Warm regards
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

We attended this afternoon tea and we were rather disappointed with the seating and lack of space. The afternoon tea itself was nice, however 6 of us were cramped round a small narrow table, nothing beyond the cake stands fitted on the table, our crockery had to be kept on our laps and the pots of tea on a separate table, where those of us sat at one end had to keep asking those down the far end to pass the tea pots.
The waiters although trying their best had to ask us to constantly move things and make space on the tables for them.

Afternoon tea should be a little more polished than this even when trying to put a twist, no one wants to be sat like sardines trying to balance plates and cakes in laps and avoiding your tea cups falling over the edge of the table!

This detracted from the overall nice cakes and sandwiches! However the rock and roll theme was rather lacking.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear HMI5TRY,

Thank you for sharing your review following your visit to W London Leicester Square. I am sorry to hear that you did not entirely enjoy your afternoon tea experience. I would like to assure you that we take guest feedback seriously as we are constantly looking for ways to improve on guest experience and I will certainly share your review with the relevant heads of department.

I would like the opportunity to welcome you back again, please let me know when you next plan your visit as I would like to oversee your reservation personally. You can reach me via email on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Firstly, the location of this hotel is perfect. A couple of minutes away from both Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square tube stations and there are plenty of bars and restaurant minutes away.

Very impressed with this hotel, stayed here for one night in February 2014. I was impressed from the second that I walked in, very modern, very clean and very shiny. I loved the attention to detail - the mats in the lifts were changed according to the time of day, they varied between "Good Morning", "Good Afternoon" and "Good Evening" which was a nice little touch.

The room itself was very nice. I liked the floor to ceiling mirrors around the majority of the room. It was quite strange that the sink was in the middle of the room and not part of a bathroom. There wasn't actually a bathroom, there was just a shower behind one of the mirrored doors and the toilet behind another mirrored door. The room would have been better if the sink, shower and toilet were all together in one room.

Our room was on the 3rd floor and we did hear music a lot of the time that we were in our room, so if you are a light sleeper, this probably isn't the hotel for you. (Especially seeing as there is a bar on the first floor of the hotel with a DJ which plays loud music until about 1am. We could hear the music quite loudly from our room late at night.)

The mini bar in the room automatically charges if you take drinks out, so we were a little surprised when we were told that we had had two beers, when in fact, we just took the beers out and put two drinks in the fridge which we had bought outside of the hotel. The lady that checked us out was very friendly and didn't make it a problem, she just cancelled the charge.

The bar area was very nice, I would say that it was more of a lounge area. The DJ was very good. People were sitting down socialising as opposed to up dancing, which was a shame for me seeing as I love a boogie - the music was so good that I would have preferred to have been dancing instead of sitting on one of the sofas, but I would have looked a bit out of place if I got up and danced on my own!

Considering the price to stay in the hotel, I expected there to be free Wifi, so I was quite disappointed when I realised that you had to pay for it.

Overall, a nice stay in the hotel in a perfect location (as long as you can sleep through noise!).

Dear Peridot89,

Thank you for sharing such a great review with us. It’s great to read guests detailing their overall experience of their stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at W London Leicester Square including our excellent location and music in our W Lounge.

I would also like to thank you for your positive notes on my team, these are greatly appreciated and I will definitely share these with my entire team.

I look forward to your return.

Windsor, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Trying too hard to be trendy. Check-in was horrible where we had to stand and witness an altercation with a guest and staff where Police were called - no attempt to move this away from the main area of the hotel, not a good start. Smelled funny too in this area, so much so I sprayed my perfume in front of me whilst waiting to check-in. Room is odd - sink is in the middle of the room in a little island with the toilet hidden in a closet and the shower in another closet. The toilet light was on a very short time sensor so you had to keep moving around to keep the light on. No tea/coffee making facilities, no sleep-timer on TV. This hotel is for clubbers so is very loud. Tiring having to explain to every bouncer at the door that we were guests on entering the lift area as clubbers will be vetted etc. Handy location, comfy bed and nice products (Bliss) but I wouldn't stay again and will not recommend to anyone.....

Room Tip: Don't stay here