“Good night out, let down by staff ...”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #390 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Good night out, let down by staff ...”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Warm welcome from door staff, nice layout, great vibe. Drinks are expensive with a service charge per drink every time one orders, but that can be expected in central London.
However, the staff working in the lounge area and the WYLD bar let the place down by looking down on you until you spend enough money. Attitude towards my friend and I changed as soon as we bought a bottle. Perhaps they should learn to smile?
Apart from that, a good chilled evening. Thanks.

• Stayed April 2014
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Annesashario,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear that your visit with us at our Loungedid not meet the level of expectation that we strive to achieve for each one of our guests.

I will discuss this with the talent members highlighted to ensure this does not happen again. We value the constructive feedback you have given which will help us to ensure that we uphold the level of service that is expected from W Hotel.

Coen Van Niersen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is clearly a "designer" hotel that lives for its style but sadly it get the basics of providing a decent room wrong. I have stayed in hotels in many cities around the work but have never had to call done to reception to find out how to the turn the lights off. Apparently, while you can turn the lights off, provided you a) find the instructions and b) can then understand them, the bathroom light is on a timer so that it turns off on its own accord. While this would normally be fine, unfortunately the bathroom wall is glass so that the room is consistently lite up until the light decides to turn off.
The toilet door is not sealed so that if someone is in there any noises that they may make are not sealed in (sorry for the indelicacy of my comment). The wash basin is in the middle of room allowing no privacy and while this in itself might be to some people's taste the basin is very shallow with the result that event on lower water power the water slashes everywhere. I app reacts that hotels are in business to make money but I have stayed in some very good five star hotels that have provided tea and coffee making facilities, not to do so seem cheap.
On the plus side, very comfortable bed.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel or review the rooms features before booking
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Charlie L
Dear Charlie L,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square did not meet the level of expectation that we strive to achieve for each one of our guests.

W is a contemporary design lead lifestyle brand. Each W Hotel is designed to reflect the brand’s ongoing dedication and passion for innovation in design. The rooms are intended maximise space and offer a unique experience. We appreciate that the style may not to everybody’s taste.

If you do decide to return to W London please let me know as I will personally oversee your reservation. coen.vanniersen@whotels.com.

Warm Regards,
Coen Van Niersen
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Last Monday I went to the Bar at W Leicester Sq with 3 friends to celebrate my birthday after dinner. We are successful professionals and dont mind paying a bit higher prices for cocktails at this place, compared to other bars in Soho. I like the ambiance, cocktails are really nice.

BUT. I placed a bag with my birthday gift on the bar (a very nice candle of Dyptique, worth £40) and we were standing next to it. We left around midnight and I forgot to take it (provided it was still there..). I realised it on my way home so I called them the next morning. A lady named Holly informed me she would check it and call me back. She did call me back but told me that they have not found the bag. She only said that "it is not their responsibility to look after my properties which have not been checked in the cloakroom". When I asked about their CCTV records, I got another push back, in a certainly not very polite manner. It s is not a response one can expect from a 5* hotel, for heaven's sake!!!

It is a huge shame because I really liked this place, its buzz, DJ and cocktails and we used to go there with friends and with my partner. But after such treatment I am not sure anymore and definitely I am going to tell all my friends about this unfortunate event.
I am very disappointed, not only because of the loss of my birthday present, but also by having been treated like that by the staff after I had complained.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hanna B
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Hanna B,

I am so sorry to hear that you lost some property whilst you were enjoying your birthday celebrations with us, and that our talent were unable to assist you immediately.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would contact me directly so that I can obtain some more details and look into this further for you. Please do email me on kelly.morgan@whotels.com so that I can resolve this matter for you.

Kelly Morgan
Director of Rooms
Dymchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Very good location and easy to find but expect to find the hustle and bustle on the doorstop, in this location do not expect it to be the Dorchester, it never will. The lounge bar is novel and fresh though not wholly relaxing as it is geared for a fun experience. Overall not bad, but the whimsy in the cocktails was very poor.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Roman S,
Thank you for sharing your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to W London Leicester Square and our W Lounge and our excellent location. We appreciate your feedback regarding the cocktail menu, and are pleased to share that we are currently working on some new cocktails to add some more whimsy to the menu! I have shared your feedback with the relevant management team. I do hope you will return to sample our new cocktails in the future. Warm regards, Coen .
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 8 April 2014

If design and a central location are what you want, consider staying at the W Hotel. Chinatown is around the corner, so are Piccadilly, SoHo, Leicester Sq.

Service is great, breakfast good, carpets thick!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Martin G
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Martin G,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your W experience. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best and we all look forward to your return. Whatever you need whenever you need it, just ask.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed at the W last summer with my daughter as a special treat. It was just one night due to the cost. The front desk staff were absolutely lovely and the bar area had a nice "happening" atmosphere. The room could have been lovely but was very dark with no idea how to switch the lights on or off (needed to get someone to come in and show us). A fault meant the shower, which was lit up, wouldn't turn off and there are lights under the bed that don't turn off either. To get the room dark meant taking the key card out completely but that then meant we couldn't switch anything on without a stumbling pitch dark walk back to the door. We asked for non feather pillows due to asthma and were brought some by a very surly staff member. When I pointed out that the replacements were also feather he categorically denied it and said they felt like feather but weren't. (They were feather!) So we slept with cushions instead of pillows which were not comfortable (obviously with buttons etc). Worst of all was that I requested tea/coffee making tray (as advertised) and when the kettle arrived and was filled and boiling we noticed a strange pungent smell in the room. It took a while to find (we thought it might be toilet or plugs) but was actually the kettle which was full of foul brown sludge. It looked like limescale that had been treated so had turned into a paste and would have been horrendous if either of us had drunk it. I wrote immediately afterwards and was offered a tiny discount on a future stay and promised a phone call to discuss this which never came. We won't be staying again, ever.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Sara H
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Sara H,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square last summer did not meet the level of expectation that we strive to achieve for each one of our guests.

We take the feedback of our guests seriously and we strive to maintain the level of extraordinary service that is expected from a W Hotel. I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to Wow as much as we should have.

Notwithstanding this, if you do decide to return to W London please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I booked a weekend at the W London for my daughter and my Niece to celebrate a 21st.
The weekend was completely ruined due to lack of sleep.

Saturday night they were in touch with me at 11.00pm complaining that they couldn't sleep due to the noise from the bar. I told them to complain but being young girls they didn't like to. At 1.30am they were in touch complaining about the noise from the Lamborghini's revving their engines outside. In the morning they complained and were moved to another room.

Sunday night, they went to bed at 10.30 as they were exhausted having not slept properly the night before. Again the bar noise was too much, they'd had enough and went to reception and complained. They were told that the hotel policy is to accommodate younger people on the lower floors. Eventually after complaining twice they were moved up to the 7th floor.

All in all, the weekend was a complete waste of money, I am bitterly disappointed. This is not what I'd expect from a 5 star hotel.

Ironically, had they had a good nights sleep, they would have really enjoyed the hotel. They were delighted with the place until they tried to sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the bar area as possible
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank P G
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear PG,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am sorry to hear that your Daughter and Niece did not enjoy their stay with us. I can understand that at times it can be quite challenging to control DJ’s performances. However, I would like to assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously, and we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences. Unfortunately, the hotel has no control over external noise and I apologise that this has marred their stay.

If you in the future you decide to stay with us then please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. coen.vanniersen@whotels.com