“The pillows are like marshmallows”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #390 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Essex
“The pillows are like marshmallows”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed in the W for a friends birthday. Very close to everything, brilliant location! Fantastic service and a beautifully designed hotel. The beds are ridiculously comfy and the pillows are like fluffy clouds

• Stayed June 2014
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Annabelbarnes,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your W experience with us during your friend’s birthday including the design of our rooms and comfortable pillows.
I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

‘Keep in tune with what’s new and next at W London – Leicester Square’

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed 28 June 2014

No one was more surprised than me by the dreadful treatment we received at the W Leicester Square. After informing the management & front desk months before that this trip was our honeymoon and as Platinium Starwood members, we expected the royal treatment. Instead we felt royally screwed. We received nothing but excuses, poor service, lies about suite availability, sarcasm and not even a congratulatory bottle of champagne for spending our honeymoon here. Normally the W is gay friendly, but our experience felt homophobic during London Pride. After being told by both Starwood and the Starwood App that suites were available, Welcome Desk Manager Drew England told us that Starwood and the Starwood App were not accurate and that the multiple suites were not available. After emailing the Welcome Desk we were later told that we missed our opportunity to move to a suite because our bags were not packed. Excuse me, the Welcome Desk had my mobile number. If we had received a call informing us to pack and move, we certainly would have. Needless to say, this entire experience has been the only stain on an otherwise magical honeymoon. Ladies, do not disappoint yourself and gentlemen, do not let the W Hotel Leicester Square treat you this way on your honeymoon. Upon our return to the states we will be writing to the CEO (Frits Van Paasschen) and the Europe, Africa and Middle East Regional President (Michael Wale) of Starwood to share our poor experience. The only reason for 2 stars and not 1 is the location of the hotel. However, we will never patronize this hotel again.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose a room off of the Square for quiet.
5 Thank MTPLA
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear MTPLA,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am sorry to hear that your experience at W London – Leicester Square failed to WOW you as much as it should have. We take the comments of our guests extremely seriously and ensure that we act on the feedback we receive to maintain the exceptional levels of service expected from a W Hotel. At W London, we embrace diversity and are proud supporters of the LGBT community, having hosted London Pride and World Pride activity at the hotel in the past. As a company, we strive to be the industry benchmark for inclusion where all guests, customers, partners and associates are invited, embraced, valued and respected.

I am glad to see that we were eventually able to offer you an upgrade to one of our WOW Suites. I am however very sorry that I did not get the chance to speak to you personally before you left the hotel today. If you could email me on kelly.morgan@whotels.com and let me know the best number to reach you on, I would love to give you a call to hear how the rest of your stay went.

Kind regards,
Kelly
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The strap line sounds bad but it really wasn't an unpleasant experience. The staff are all very friendly and greet you with a smile but sadly showed us to a booth that neither my wife or myself could sit properly in. I am 6'3" but my wife is only 5'7" but we both had to sit sideways in the booth.....this is really tea in a cocktail bar. As for the food the sandwichs were nothing more than OK but I had 2 lots so they couldn't have been that bad !! As for the cakes a mixed bag....the Rule Britannia scone was ok, Londons Burning was good, Sticky fingers was again OK, Sweet emotion had a nice zing to it, Purple haze was jammy and tasty, and the Cherry bomb was again quite nice. I had coffee which was OK and my wife had Jasmin tea which was apparently very good. This is not an unpleasant experience its just that having been to several other and better afternoon teas there are much better out there such as the fashion tea at the Berkley or the Mad Hatter's at the Sanderson. Its a very good central location but this just wouldn't be my first, or even second choice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear mickygees,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your W experience. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best.

We take the feedback of our guests seriously and we value each point made to ensure that we maintain the level of extraordinary service that is expected from a W Hotel. I have shared your feedback with the relevant management team.

When you next decide to return to W London please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. You can reach me via email on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I like the atmosphere of this hotel and its great location. The rooms are comfortable, quiet and modern. Love being a hotel guest on a Saturday night, with the bar area full of people. Short walking distance to many areas of interest especially Chinatown.

1 Thank cypjim_11
Dear cypjim_11

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your W experience with us. I have already shared your wonderful comments with the rest of my W team and we look forward to your return.

I hope to see you again soon.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

My sister and I booked afternoon tea here for our mums birthday treat as it was something a little different.
And we are so glad we did. All the food was yummy and the staff polite and helpful.
The decor was fab too. And the lounge you eat in was nice and open and light.
Only thing I thing was a slight let down was only get the one stand of food. Other afternoon teas they we have attended have asked if we would like more. And could have certainly eaten more of those yummy scones that are still slightly warm when brought out.
But would defently return for more. :)

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear nicci13L,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your W experience including your Afternoon Tea. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best.

I hope to see you again soon.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel has a perfect location if you have a business trip in centre of London. The hotel has the ordinary "W-feeling" in the public areas which is good. The gym was very good. The breakfast restaurant was a little bit boring when it comes to the menu, but you are i London so be prepared.
If you are a SPG platinum member do not have any higher hopes that the staff/hotel will recognize you or anything. You are just a regular guest as everybody else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Andrew18985,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am very pleased to hear that that you had such a positive experience during your stay with us. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best and look forward to welcoming you back again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Shimmering curtains on the room's walls. All the lights on or all the lights off. Bathroom sink in the sleeping room and at chest height, and so shallow water splashed all over the white plastic counter. Oh that counter was identified by the hotels's operator as the "desk area". (I had to call down to ask the hotel's phone number because it was not written in the room information book & not on or near the room phones.) There is a large round plastic bar & a large white plastic & chrome stool crowding the tiny room. The Spice Market served a good breakfast but very pricey for the convenience. Dinner there was mixes up. I ordered one entree and my traveling companion ordered another. However, her's was the only one delivered. It is assumed meals are family-style so until we inquired they weren't going to cook and serve my choice until the 1st entree was eaten. Service here is sloooow. I eat and run. Spice Market expects a guest to diiinnne for hours. The best thing about this hotel was the friendliness of the door personnel.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank NYCSusie
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear NYCSuise,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square did not entirely meet the level of expectation that we strive to achieve for each one of our guests.

We take the feedback of our guests seriously and we value each point made to ensure that we maintain the level of extraordinary service that is expected from a W Hotel. I have shared your feedback with the management team.

When you next decide to return to W London please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. You can reach me on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com