“Quirky, fun and in a great location”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #396 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Newport, United Kingdom
“Quirky, fun and in a great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights. Platinum starwood member, so upgraded to a suite. Very nice. Great view looking over China Town with the new year in full swing. I think slightly overpriced for the hotel it is and there are other W hotels better, but it is definitely such a lively place and right at the heart of it all. Stunning rooms and bathrooms. Bar was very nice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Sandeep B,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your W experience including your room and view. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best and we look forward to your return

‘Keep in tune with what’s new and next at W London – Leicester Square’

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the W in Leicester Square with my wife when we traveled to London and I was completely underwhelmed by the hotel. the staff was not very helpful and the service was poor overall. The hotel was dark and dingy not the cool atmosphere I am used to experiencing at the W hotel. I would not stay in this hotel again. Also, due to the location of the hotel it is very busy and very noisy.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mchavez78
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Mchavez78,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square did not meet the level of expectation that we strive to achieve for each one of our guest.

W is located in the heart of London with Soho’s electric nightlife at our doorstep. We appreciate that this may sometimes affect noise levels. But rest assure we are always looking for ways to improve guest experiences. We value each point made to ensure that we maintain the level of extraordinary service that is expected from a W Hotel.

I hope you will decide to return to W London in the near future, please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. You can reach me via email on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

The W brand has a certain feel to it and this hotel was no different. Low lit lobby and lift area, buzzy bar and reception and quirky designed rooms. We got upgraded to a great corner suite and having seen it I definitely think it is worth the splurge if you are there for a special occasion. There was a large lounge area with a huge corner sofa and then a separate bedroom area with windows over Leicester Sq. The best thing was the bathroom though. An enormous bath, separate shower and huge central unit with 2 sinks. Slightly odd was the wardrobe space being in the bathroom.
We ate in the Asian restaurant downstairs, which was ok. We were just looking for a quick bite having come in late so it was fine, but I think if you were looking for great Asian food there are better places in the area.
All in all a really good hotel in a good location if you are visiting London. I didn't score it a 5 because I found the staff a bit unwelcoming and I found it a bit 'trying to be cool' . It wasn't memorable because it just lacked that certain feel for me personally, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JamieKate,

Thank you for sharing your review. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your W experience. I am sorry to hear you did not feel welcomed. I can assure you that this is not typical of W London – Leicester Square. We strive to achieve the highest level of guest satisfaction. I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to Wow as much as we should have.

When you next decide to return to W London please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. You can reach me via email on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed in the W for a friends birthday. Very close to everything, brilliant location! Fantastic service and a beautifully designed hotel. The beds are ridiculously comfy and the pillows are like fluffy clouds

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Annabelbarnes,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your W experience with us during your friend’s birthday including the design of our rooms and comfortable pillows.
I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

West Hollywood, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

No one was more surprised than me by the dreadful treatment we received at the W Leicester Square. After informing the management & front desk months before that this trip was our honeymoon and as Platinium Starwood members, we expected the royal treatment. Instead we felt royally screwed. We received nothing but excuses, poor service, lies about suite availability, sarcasm and not even a congratulatory bottle of champagne for spending our honeymoon here. Normally the W is gay friendly, but our experience felt homophobic during London Pride. After being told by both Starwood and the Starwood App that suites were available, Welcome Desk Manager Drew England told us that Starwood and the Starwood App were not accurate and that the multiple suites were not available. After emailing the Welcome Desk we were later told that we missed our opportunity to move to a suite because our bags were not packed. Excuse me, the Welcome Desk had my mobile number. If we had received a call informing us to pack and move, we certainly would have. Needless to say, this entire experience has been the only stain on an otherwise magical honeymoon. Ladies, do not disappoint yourself and gentlemen, do not let the W Hotel Leicester Square treat you this way on your honeymoon. Upon our return to the states we will be writing to the CEO (Frits Van Paasschen) and the Europe, Africa and Middle East Regional President (Michael Wale) of Starwood to share our poor experience. The only reason for 2 stars and not 1 is the location of the hotel. However, we will never patronize this hotel again.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose a room off of the Square for quiet.
5 Thank MTPLA
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear MTPLA,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am sorry to hear that your experience at W London – Leicester Square failed to WOW you as much as it should have. We take the comments of our guests extremely seriously and ensure that we act on the feedback we receive to maintain the exceptional levels of service expected from a W Hotel. At W London, we embrace diversity and are proud supporters of the LGBT community, having hosted London Pride and World Pride activity at the hotel in the past. As a company, we strive to be the industry benchmark for inclusion where all guests, customers, partners and associates are invited, embraced, valued and respected.

I am glad to see that we were eventually able to offer you an upgrade to one of our WOW Suites. I am however very sorry that I did not get the chance to speak to you personally before you left the hotel today. If you could email me on kelly.morgan@whotels.com and let me know the best number to reach you on, I would love to give you a call to hear how the rest of your stay went.

Kind regards,
Kelly
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

The strap line sounds bad but it really wasn't an unpleasant experience. The staff are all very friendly and greet you with a smile but sadly showed us to a booth that neither my wife or myself could sit properly in. I am 6'3" but my wife is only 5'7" but we both had to sit sideways in the booth.....this is really tea in a cocktail bar. As for the food the sandwichs were nothing more than OK but I had 2 lots so they couldn't have been that bad !! As for the cakes a mixed bag....the Rule Britannia scone was ok, Londons Burning was good, Sticky fingers was again OK, Sweet emotion had a nice zing to it, Purple haze was jammy and tasty, and the Cherry bomb was again quite nice. I had coffee which was OK and my wife had Jasmin tea which was apparently very good. This is not an unpleasant experience its just that having been to several other and better afternoon teas there are much better out there such as the fashion tea at the Berkley or the Mad Hatter's at the Sanderson. Its a very good central location but this just wouldn't be my first, or even second choice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear mickygees,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your W experience. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best.

We take the feedback of our guests seriously and we value each point made to ensure that we maintain the level of extraordinary service that is expected from a W Hotel. I have shared your feedback with the relevant management team.

Limassol, Cyprus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I like the atmosphere of this hotel and its great location. The rooms are comfortable, quiet and modern. Love being a hotel guest on a Saturday night, with the bar area full of people. Short walking distance to many areas of interest especially Chinatown.

1 Thank cypjim_11
Dear cypjim_11

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your W experience with us. I have already shared your wonderful comments with the rest of my W team and we look forward to your return.

I hope to see you again soon.