“Not a great experience at all ... one of the worst W experiences” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of W London Leicester Square

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #389 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Seattle, Washington
“Not a great experience at all ... one of the worst W experiences”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have been a platinum SPG member for over 8 years and generally stay at Starwood properties over 100 nights a year. On check in, I was not offered an upgrade not even to a higher floor and when I asked that I at least get a room that was quiet, I was put instead in a room above the nightclub which went to 3am ... loud bass-filled music until 3am! I spoke with both SPG global ambassador and the front desk manager about the less than satisfying stay. The front desk manager informs me that this is Leicester Square so it is like NY's Times Square so it is going to be noisy. Ok ... 2 things. I stay at the W and Westin in Times Square a lot and it is not as noisy and on another note ... this is not street noise, this is YOUR nightclub. It was incredibly condescending. I was also told that no upgrades to suites were available because the hotel was sold out. Interesting ... I was still able to book a room on my iPad while being lied to. I also reminded him that I was NOT requesting a suite upgrade but hey .. considering my loyalty, just a quiet room would have been great. It almost felt like I was being painted the unreasonable American instead of really listening to my perspective. It does not stop here. My sister and I went out for the day and on our return, find the hotel cordoned off. While we stood outside people watching, we see loads of people walk into the hotel. We finally decided to walk in only to be stopped to ask if we are guests there. Racial profiling maybe?? All the others ahead of us were not questioned so my comment to the same manager is, be consistent if you are going to tell me this is for security purposes. If true, stop EVERYONE! We were supposed to stay there for 3 nights but left and moved to another hotel after 1 night. There is more I could share of the less than satisfying experience ... but enough.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank tjones_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here in June for couple of days. That was my first experience in a W Hotel, and definitely not the last. Generally for me the design or the style of the hotel not essential, although i enjoyed the modern design of the room.
In my opinion the entire experience depends on the staff, how memorable can they make your stay in every single hotel.
During my stay here, I had interaction with several members of the working staff, couple of them to be mentioned Chaz (doorman), Bernard (reception) and Steve (concierge).
I really enjoyed the way they brought their own individual personality through our conversations which made me feel like having a chat with my friend back home. The informal way of approach and type of teasing jokes and witty personality of the concierge made my stay.
Thanks for the fun stay guys. See you next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Augusto R,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and I have already shared your wonderful comments with Chaz, Bernardo and Steve. I have personally thanked them and will share your note with the rest of the W team.

I hope we see you return to W London – Leicester Square soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel was really lovely and everything that we needed.
I booked 2 twin rooms for 4 ladies on our friends hen night after night on the town.
Very clean , spacious , modern rooms.
Service was brilliant too .
Staff couldn't do enough for us.
Would highly recommend & will definately stay again.
Only bug bearer was £4.50 for a latte very expensive just walk outside & grab a costa

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Lancelot111,

WOW!

Thank you for your excellent review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your W experience including the comforts of your room. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best and we look forward to your return.

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here as part of my birthday weekend.
I'd always walk past the hotel at night when I was in London and it looked amazing.
I managed to grab a fantastic deal online to stay the day before my birthday.

We stepped into absolutely gorgeous foyer and we were greeted by the friendly concierge.
We had placed a note when booking online about wanting a twin room, unfortunately this didn't make it too the hotels information. We were told the hotel was fully booked but they would see what they could do, 5minutes later we had our keys to our twin bedroom.

The room wasn't massive but it had everything you needed and was decorated as beautifully as the foyer.
The bathroom was split behind two separate doors, it was small but it worked, with the sink making up the centre counter in the room.
The detail of the furnishings was 5star. Photography books, pieces of art and even the possibility of having a record player and your choice of vinyls brought to your room.

We ventured to the bar on the 1st floor, again stunning. A wall of plates with photography on (I wanted to purchase them all but alas they no longer sell them).
We tried to find a seat at around 6:30pm but the majority of the seats were reserved. This was the only downside, we had to wait a while for a table to free up, having 80% of your bar reserved so other hotel guests can't sit down is a bit of a pain.
But the waitress was lovely and we had a few delicious cocktails before venturing out into the city.

On return to our room there was some exceptionally loud music coming from outside, after a while I went out to the reception to talk to someone, they came back instantly with ear plugs that worked wonders.

After a very good sleep we got hot drinks ordered to the room in the morning. The service was very quick.

Checkout was a breeze.

If you fancy a very cool and modern hotel right in the middle of it all in London, this is the place for you. It's a stone throw from Covent Garden, Leicester Square and easy to get to all other areas via bus, tube or taxi.

I'm planning to return again on a girls weekend.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Sam H
Dear Sam H,

WOW!

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your W experience. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best.

However, your feedback on W Lounge is important to us and I am sorry to hear you had a long wait before you could be seated. We will review each point made to ensure that we maintain the level of extraordinary service that is expected from a W Hotel.

I hope you will decide to return to W London in the near future, please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. You can reach me via email coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights. Platinum starwood member, so upgraded to a suite. Very nice. Great view looking over China Town with the new year in full swing. I think slightly overpriced for the hotel it is and there are other W hotels better, but it is definitely such a lively place and right at the heart of it all. Stunning rooms and bathrooms. Bar was very nice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Sandeep B,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your W experience including your room and view. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best and we look forward to your return

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the W in Leicester Square with my wife when we traveled to London and I was completely underwhelmed by the hotel. the staff was not very helpful and the service was poor overall. The hotel was dark and dingy not the cool atmosphere I am used to experiencing at the W hotel. I would not stay in this hotel again. Also, due to the location of the hotel it is very busy and very noisy.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mchavez78
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Mchavez78,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square did not meet the level of expectation that we strive to achieve for each one of our guest.

W is located in the heart of London with Soho’s electric nightlife at our doorstep. We appreciate that this may sometimes affect noise levels. But rest assure we are always looking for ways to improve guest experiences. We value each point made to ensure that we maintain the level of extraordinary service that is expected from a W Hotel.

I hope you will decide to return to W London in the near future, please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. You can reach me via email on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

The W brand has a certain feel to it and this hotel was no different. Low lit lobby and lift area, buzzy bar and reception and quirky designed rooms. We got upgraded to a great corner suite and having seen it I definitely think it is worth the splurge if you are there for a special occasion. There was a large lounge area with a huge corner sofa and then a separate bedroom area with windows over Leicester Sq. The best thing was the bathroom though. An enormous bath, separate shower and huge central unit with 2 sinks. Slightly odd was the wardrobe space being in the bathroom.
We ate in the Asian restaurant downstairs, which was ok. We were just looking for a quick bite having come in late so it was fine, but I think if you were looking for great Asian food there are better places in the area.
All in all a really good hotel in a good location if you are visiting London. I didn't score it a 5 because I found the staff a bit unwelcoming and I found it a bit 'trying to be cool' . It wasn't memorable because it just lacked that certain feel for me personally, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JamieKate,

Thank you for sharing your review. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your W experience. I am sorry to hear you did not feel welcomed. I can assure you that this is not typical of W London – Leicester Square. We strive to achieve the highest level of guest satisfaction. I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to Wow as much as we should have.

When you next decide to return to W London please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. You can reach me via email on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com