“Quirky”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #403 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stunning modern room loved it. Bed was so comfy. Perfect location. Only downside was the grumpy receptionist on arrival. "Photo id and I will need your credit card to authorise £75 for incidentals". No please or thank you nor an explanation as to why she needed to "pre authorise" my card for a substantial amount except that it's " Company Policy!" Anyway, that aside and the fact that the check out reception man was extremely helpful, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Helen H,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your W experience. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best.

However, I have noted your point about pre-authorisation. This is a standard requirement to cover for any extras incidentals during guests stay. I am sorry if this was not explained to you in details at the time. I would like to assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously, as we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences. I have already shared your feedback with the management team to review this further.

I hope you will decide to return to W London in the near future, please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. You can reach me via email on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Reviewed 13 July 2014

a truly cool place at the edge of Chinatown, Leicester Square and Picadilly Circus -
cool room, although on the small side, typical W style with some of the best beds you can find in hotels - staff is service orientated and nice , the bar an "in-place" - make sure you get a room higher up as this place is a highly frequented spot

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Matthias F,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your W experience. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed here one weeknight on a LastMinute Top Secret Hotel deal.

You enter the hotel on the ground floor, quite a small area, as reception is on the first floor. Everything is decorated in glossy black, grey, silver and mirrors. Which can make areas appear quite dark.

The reception staff were very pleasant and helpful, and told me I'd been upgraded to a superior room. This had two twin beds in (I prefer a double as I was on my own). However the beds were both 3/4 queens and very comfortable, with 2 large pillows that were also very comfy.

The superior room has a kind of workbench as you enter, with the 'bathroom' sink set into this. I find it slightly odd to have this integral to the room. Then I found the toilet and showers in two separate cubicles behind a mirrored wall. If you prefer a larger separate bathroom then this is not for you. The lights come on and off as you enter. The shower has no extractor fan, so smelt damp and musty when I went in as the water vapour / steam has nowhere to escape to. The water also escapes a little under the door back into the main room. Apart from the unpleasant smell the shower was quite good with an overhead rain shower and a hand held. But nowhere to hang towels so you can easily reach them without going back into the main bedroom.
Also the towels are smaller bath towels rather than bath sheets and a little threadbare.

My main criticisms of the W are -

Wifi - only 30 minutes free per stay - this seems unnecessarily cheap, when the cost of the stay is high and free wifi doesn't cost much to include.

No tea or coffee in the room. Eventually I found a small card which said you could go to the W Lounge for this free (and free wifi there too) or could ring and have some delivered. Up until then I was concerned that the expectation would be that I would have to order off room service at £4.50 a cup! The tray was bought to my room without a problem though once I asked for it.

The W Lounge, when I visited after I returned from dinner out, was not a lounge but a noisy and very full bar area where some kind of a function appeared to be happening, full of overdressed young people shouting at each other to be heard above the music played by the DJ. Not the relaxing area that the name 'lounge' implied. Maybe a separate residents area should be created?

The noise of the shower and running water in the room next door or above, woke me up a few times, very intrusive.

The hip lighting in the room is controlled by a central console by the bed, but even following the written instructions I had to ring reception to find out how to turn them completely off to sleep. Nowhere on the instructions did it tell me to press the button twice and to keep it pressed the second time.

The window blind was damaged, had clearly been damaged a long time, and could not be closed. At the price charged ordinarily for this room I would expect it to be better maintained!

What I liked?

The fact that Bliss shampoos and soaps are provided with the room. I love these and they feel like quality.

Apart from the water noise, and despite the hotel being on the corner of Leicester square the room was very quiet with excellent soundproofing.

A big Illuminated face mirror in the room

Two plug sockets including one next to the bed, lots of hotels forget this.

With so much choice of high end luxury hotels in London I will probably go elsewhere next time, possibly back to Andaz which I love

Room Tip: Not one overlooking Leicester Street
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Wales_Solo_traveller,

I would like to thank for you taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your stay at W London Leicester Square. We truly appreciate all the points highlighted both positive and constructive. I am sorry that the experience failed to Wow you as much as it should have. We can assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously, as we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again. When you next decide to return to W London please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. You can reach me via email on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Arrived at W Hotel which was a surprise booked by my husband for our anniversary and my birthday. Really excited on arrival as have wanted to stay here for ages. In a cool corner room which is very cool and quirky. Staff are very friendly and attentive.

However have to say am really disappointed having spent a considerable amount for 2 nights I expect to be able to make a coffee in my room but because there is no facility for this we have to pay £4.50 a cup and £3.50 delivery, I expect to pay over the odds for the mini bar if I choose to use it but think but think we should at least to be able to have a tea or coffee. Wi fi is extortionate too you only get one hour free.

Equally disappointed too that in today's technology when most people have a mobile and ipad when there's 2 people staying in a room there are only 2 plug sockets for your chargers.

Sliding doors to bathroom are a bit dodgy you need to watch the screws on the floor, also signs of wear and tear throughout the room.

Mixed feelings about this hotel, not sure that we would return as not not good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheCotts

Dear TheCotts,

Thank you for sharing your review. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your W experience. We take the feedback of our guests seriously and we value your point made. We will review each point made to ensure that we maintain the level of extraordinary service that is expected from a W Hotel. I have shared your feedback with the management team.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We read some reviews and were concerned about a few things with this hotel. First, the noise, and second the service. Let me assure you the service was excellent. Doormen were outstanding, Bernard at the front desk was outstanding and even gave me a sim card for my phone. The front desk agents were very nice, although I do think they were a bit understaffed (there was often a wait to speak to an agent).

The location couldn't possibly be better. Right in the middle of everything. It is similar to Union or Times square in NYC. The hotel was quirky and cool, which is why we stay at W's. We are an SPG member and were extremely jet lagged. We were upgraded, but told our rooms wouldn't be ready till late in the day and at 1pm we crashed. I asked again at the front desk and the agent must have seen the tired in my eyes, he upgraded us again to a corner room with an adjoining room for the kids. It was spacious and very very nice. He warned us in advance that there could be a noise problem, but the alternative was a smaller room. We took the large room.

The noise. Yes, there is a bar and a small club in the hotel. Rooms on the second floor that are above the bar and club can be noisy. Bar closes at 1am. Club closes at 3-4am, but is only open wed-sat (it closes early on wed). This worked out well for our trip (sun-wed) but even without the club, there was DEFINITELY a noise issue from the bar DJ. Didn't bother me, we were warned, but I could definitely see this being a problem for others. The club is extremely popular, so from a business perspective it doesn't make sense to close it just to make 5-6 rooms happy. They probably make 10x the rack rate on that club every night it's open. That said, its horrible customer service to sell rooms that are noisy not because of the street, but because of you're own club/bar. They did warn us, and I'm sure they sell these rooms last, but still, it seems counter-intuitive. You're a hotel, not a bar/club. Convert the club to something else, or put better soundproofing in. That said...you're staying at a W...it's a cool, hip, young and fun place. I expect some noise...but not a nightclub under my room till 4am.

Lastly, we have two kids and they treated them exceptionally well. I would highly recommend this hotel for families, for couples, for anyone really. It's location is unmatched, and it delivers the "W" brand exceptionally well.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the second floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cmann2

Dear Cmann2

WOW!

Thank you for your excellent review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your W experience. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best.

I was sorry to hear about the disturbance from our W Lounge. I can understand that at times it can be quite challenging to control the level of noise from this area. However, I would like to assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously, and we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to WOW you on your next visit. If you do decide to return to W London please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have been a platinum SPG member for over 8 years and generally stay at Starwood properties over 100 nights a year. On check in, I was not offered an upgrade not even to a higher floor and when I asked that I at least get a room that was quiet, I was put instead in a room above the nightclub which went to 3am ... loud bass-filled music until 3am! I spoke with both SPG global ambassador and the front desk manager about the less than satisfying stay. The front desk manager informs me that this is Leicester Square so it is like NY's Times Square so it is going to be noisy. Ok ... 2 things. I stay at the W and Westin in Times Square a lot and it is not as noisy and on another note ... this is not street noise, this is YOUR nightclub. It was incredibly condescending. I was also told that no upgrades to suites were available because the hotel was sold out. Interesting ... I was still able to book a room on my iPad while being lied to. I also reminded him that I was NOT requesting a suite upgrade but hey .. considering my loyalty, just a quiet room would have been great. It almost felt like I was being painted the unreasonable American instead of really listening to my perspective. It does not stop here. My sister and I went out for the day and on our return, find the hotel cordoned off. While we stood outside people watching, we see loads of people walk into the hotel. We finally decided to walk in only to be stopped to ask if we are guests there. Racial profiling maybe?? All the others ahead of us were not questioned so my comment to the same manager is, be consistent if you are going to tell me this is for security purposes. If true, stop EVERYONE! We were supposed to stay there for 3 nights but left and moved to another hotel after 1 night. There is more I could share of the less than satisfying experience ... but enough.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank tjones_12
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here in June for couple of days. That was my first experience in a W Hotel, and definitely not the last. Generally for me the design or the style of the hotel not essential, although i enjoyed the modern design of the room.
In my opinion the entire experience depends on the staff, how memorable can they make your stay in every single hotel.
During my stay here, I had interaction with several members of the working staff, couple of them to be mentioned Chaz (doorman), Bernard (reception) and Steve (concierge).
I really enjoyed the way they brought their own individual personality through our conversations which made me feel like having a chat with my friend back home. The informal way of approach and type of teasing jokes and witty personality of the concierge made my stay.
Thanks for the fun stay guys. See you next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Augusto R,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and I have already shared your wonderful comments with Chaz, Bernardo and Steve. I have personally thanked them and will share your note with the rest of the W team.

I hope we see you return to W London – Leicester Square soon.