“Great Hotel In A Perfect Location For The Theatre”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #394 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Peoria, Illinois
“Great Hotel In A Perfect Location For The Theatre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from a week in Europe. Our last stop was 23 hours in London. We got tickets for Les Miserables at the Queen's Theatre, which is 1 block from the W. I am an SPG Gold, so I try to stay at SPG properties when I can. The W was right in the middle of Leicester (pronounced Lester for us ignorant Americans! You should have seen the looks I got when I said Lie-Chester!) Square. I know that the W's can be a "funky" property, and some of the reviews are not glowing. But we decided on the W for SPG and location. We were NOT disappointed! OK, so it is "hip", whatever that really means. It is a nice property. We were greeted immediately, and very pleasantly at the front door by a bellman. Didn't need any assistance with the 1 carry on bag, so they graciously told us to go to the lobby to register. When we took the elevator to the lobby, registration was right there. Bernardo checked us in. Some of the reviews say that the front desk was "snotty", "rude", and "condescending". This could have not been further from what we encountered. Bernardo was excellent and went out of his way to be courteous and gracious. Registration was quick, and we got a great room. YES, the hallways are dimly lit. But the room was great! We heard NO loud music which bothered us and we had a great night's sleep! YES, it is expensive. But every hotel around Leicester Square was. And London is. But for location convenience, and quality of the rooms, and the staff, we would definitely stay at the W London again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eyedoc44
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Eyedoc44

Thank you for your excellent review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your W experience. I have already shared your comments with Bernardo and the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best and we all look forward tow welcoming you back again.

It would be great to have you with us again, please let us know when. You can contact me on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

‘Keep in tune with what’s new and next at W London – Leicester Square’

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

If you like, cool, trendy, sophisticated, edgy, quirky, fun and a calm retreat from the madding crowd then stay here!

Last time I stayed in London I stayed at the Le Meridian (part of the same SPG Hotel group) just down the road and that was more to my taste!

Nothing wrong with this hotel - in fact the staff were outstanding, very courteous and friendly. Breakfast was a good selection and a light lunch in the bar was just right. Room was clean, bed was comfy and all you needed was provided for.

So W Hotel - Sorry....it's me not you!!

PS If you are over 48 you may want to take a torch so you can find your room down the funky lit corridors :-)

Room Tip: As high as possible
Dear Ive-been-here,

However, I am sorry to hear that the hotel is not entirely to your taste. I do hope you will decide to return to W London in the near future, please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. I can be reached on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Maitland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

If you like being in the middle of a city that never sleeps than the W is for you. However if you value your sleep, find another hotel. Though the beds are great, there is no way to escape the street noise even if on higher floor.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if traveling for business. Way too loud for restful sleep.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear xmaskid76,

Thank you for sharing your review. I am sorry that the experience failed to Wow you as much as it should have. We take the feedback of our guests seriously and we value each point made to ensure that we maintain the level of extraordinary service that is expected from a W Hotel

I agree, W is located in the heart of London with Soho’s electric nightlife at our doorstep. We appreciate that this may sometimes affect noise levels from both inside and outside the hotel. But rest assure we are always looking for ways to improve guest experiences.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope this will not deter you from staying with us again.

Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I had a great experience at the W in Leicester Square. First, it is an excellent location for theatre and access to several Tube Stations (Leiecester Square and Picadilly Circus). Second, the rooms are beautifully designed: an open space with an island that has a counter to work or eat; and your sink. The bathroom and shower are tucked behind a mirrored wall (ask the bellman to acquaint you with the room- the lighting options can be a bit tricky). The staff was excellent -- as an SPG member, I was offered an upgrade; late check out; and received complimentary wifi and movies. Staff also quickly responded to all my requests. The hotel itself is very edgy in its decor; typical W dim lighting in public areas; beautiful flowers and black and white photos. The room was quite light and mostly white. The only negative comment I have is that the design of the shower and bathroom and the lack of exhaust fans tend to leave both enclosed spaces a bit musty. Though others complained about the nightclub on the first level; I did not find this to be a problem in terms of either noise or access (and I was there during Pride week). I would love to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor with natural light.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Orb,

WOW!

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your W experience including the location. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best. I hope you will give us the opportunity to WOW you again on your next visit.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you soon!

Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Great hotel with modern and cool interior and excellent service! The room was utterly amazing with sexy interior and comfy beds. A tip is to order a vinyl player to the room (it's free) and that if you stay at the hotel you get free access to the night club (which was worth checking out at least!). Also the complimentary bathroom kit in the room with shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash, body butter etc was super fresh and the best I've gotten at a hotel! Definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed July 2014
Dear Magdalima,

WOW!

Thank you for your excellent review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your W experience. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best. I hope you will give us the opportunity to WOW you on your next visit.

Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stunning modern room loved it. Bed was so comfy. Perfect location. Only downside was the grumpy receptionist on arrival. "Photo id and I will need your credit card to authorise £75 for incidentals". No please or thank you nor an explanation as to why she needed to "pre authorise" my card for a substantial amount except that it's " Company Policy!" Anyway, that aside and the fact that the check out reception man was extremely helpful, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Helen H,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your W experience. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best.

However, I have noted your point about pre-authorisation. This is a standard requirement to cover for any extras incidentals during guests stay. I am sorry if this was not explained to you in details at the time. I would like to assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously, as we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences. I have already shared your feedback with the management team to review this further.

I hope you will decide to return to W London in the near future, please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. You can reach me via email on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Palma de Mallorca, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

a truly cool place at the edge of Chinatown, Leicester Square and Picadilly Circus -
cool room, although on the small side, typical W style with some of the best beds you can find in hotels - staff is service orientated and nice , the bar an "in-place" - make sure you get a room higher up as this place is a highly frequented spot

Dear Matthias F,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your W experience. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best and we look forward to your return.