“W for wicked hotel”

Ranked #387 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Dorset
“W for wicked hotel”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The W hotel isn't your ordinary hotel and has a 'wow' factor.

Our room was laid out with the basin being in the main room, which added to its unusual character.

The staff were friendly and location in Leicester Square was a great location.

Definitely worth a stay.

Stayed June 2014
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear PhilSwannie,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your W experience with us including the design of our rooms and I hope you will give us the opportunity to WOW you again on your next visit.

‘Keep in tune with what’s new and next at W London – Leicester Square’

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The location is very good and worth the money spent.
The rooms are small but very clean and you just have to sleep there..., so no needs much more: London is so exciting, walk out and enjoy!
If you want to relax, try the bar,not bad.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear John S,

Thank you for your great review. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your W experience with us including our excellent location. I have already shared your wonderful comments with the rest of my W team and we look forward to your return.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Long time SPG Member and one time head cheerleader for this Particular W Hotel property. Reviewed previously by me. Have stayed here multiple times, but will be difficult to get us back.

Started at check in, suites available for a price, no upgrade, that's ok I understand. At check in I'm told how to get on the internet, that the sign in process has changed and told they are crediting me with 250 points, presumably for the internet problem. But that's only the beginning.

We are on a layover trying to acclimate to the time change so that's why we stayed here. I know the place felt like home in the past, I felt like an invited guest, this time felt cheated and robbed of my time.

Television didn't work, called the operator and asked if she knew of the problem, was told it has been out for days throughout the hotel as well as the internet, which she thinks is sporadically working now. Internet was sporadically working. Sporadically needs a definition. Not when I needed it. Now defined. TV Never worked.

Went downstairs asked at the front desk if there was any information about when it could be up, the Front desk offered to send someone up to see what was wrong, and I called him out. I asked him how he's working the desk, and wants to send someone up when he knows it's down, he then said he has no knowledge that It isn't working. I told him He was wasting my time, and moved on.

Security, a couple of security guys working the front doors both in and out, so while we are leaving the entrance is packed with people coming in, so we used the right door to exit, there's a big red rope no one manning it we open it to let ourselves out and this blonde haired security guy screams at us, in a very aggressive and angry tone. This guy shouldn't be there PERIOD. He represents the hotel, it's just so wrong, and obviously inappropriate.

Back to the room, noise from another guest room, periodic, but made all the more worse because I don't have a tv with volume up to cover it, and can't stream something at least on my iPad. Cause there's no internet.

For this hotel not to have the ability to Tell the truth, get the repairmen out to fix things in a reasonable time is just about as wrong as it gets.

I did finally ask for a manager, got Matthew, great guy, understood the problems, will address the lies, and the issues, but all in all I have no idea why we were staying here. Nothing worked for us, room 525 was a hole, musty, water leaking from the shower onto the wooden floor, odors coming from who knows where.

Now I know, this hotel. I know it's noisy and sometimes referred to as the Times Square of London.

I also know that the hotel takes these issues very seriously, but this time they had no plan to deal with the issues. I'm not the only one who had problems. I should have been told upfront before We checked in that internet and television were not working. I shouldn't have been lied to, or intentionally deceived, I was. Plain and simple.

This is a management issue, someone was asleep at the switch, when they woke up, they went back to sleep. There are many reasonable remedies, not one was proffered.

To say I'm disappointed in this hotel, it's management and staff, speaks volumes.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear AARDVARKKILLER,

Well…. we really missed the boat on your stay didn’t we? We managed to properly mess up. I’m so sorry that this has happened. It seems like there was just one thing after the other that went wrong and not at any occasion did we manage to turn your experience around. The sad thing is also that you know how good we can be. The main problem that affected your stay was of course that you did not have access to Wi-Fi or your TV. As a frequent traveller myself I know all too well how horribly inconvenient this is. I can however assure you that this was only an incident and we had our external providers lined up through emergency call outs to fix the situation ASAP. Unfortunately, this took longer than anybody had hoped and therefore, once again, can only apologize.

What was probably the most frustrating was that we failed to deliver a coherent message across the different teams to you about what exactly was going on and how long we would estimate it would continue to affect you. This is clearly an area on which we let you as well as ourselves down and which has therefore been learning for us.

Your comment regarding security has also been addressed and I have shared your feedback with our team at the door.

I know you mentioned you would never return to W London – Leicester Square, but it is my hope that you can understand that this was an isolated incident and that we are committed to giving you a great stay, just like you have had with us before.

Coen van Niersen
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I love W Hotel, all around the world, and London one is a very good one.
Location is very conveninet, few steps from Piccadilly Circus.
Standard rooms are small, but cozy and nice, but not well equipped in terms of amenities.
A good choice in London!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear MFGT,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed our W London experience. What pleases me the most is the fact that you appreciated our location, the design of our hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Just had a great weekend in London, we love to stay at the W.

The location is convenient, right in the heart of Leicester Square.

The bar is great and changes atmosphere through the day, until very late in the evening/morning :) .......and they serve great light snacks, lunches and afternoon tea too.

The Spice Market serves a beautiful breakfast, and the most delicious lunches and evening dinners, (even if you're not staying at the hotel, I recommend the Spice Market).

The rooms are beautifully compact, stylish, creatively lit, and have all the amenities that you need for a great nights sleep. Breakfast in bed is perfect, and beautifully presented, and tasted superb.

I love the snack bar, its full of naughties !

The staff are attentive, helpful and friendly, and when you enter the W, it kind of feels a little exclusive as the entrance is a little hidden away, and its like an Oasis from the storm of London....give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: All the rooms we have stayed in have been perfect. If you're wanting peace and quiet, let the te...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Tracey006,

Thank you for your great review.

Thank you for your great review. I am delighted to hear that once again enjoyed your W experience with us including your time in our W Lounge and dinner in Spice Market. We are glad that you have enjoyed our interiors as well and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2014

As a frequent biz traveler, and a loyal SPG platinum member, one expects good service. W Leicester Square exceeded my expectations. From a staff who recognized me as a patron (it's also a super hip spot), to the exceptional treatment, I feel compelled to give a resoundingly positive review.

The people, and building are top notch. They know how to treat their customers, it's a great, modern, well kept and manicured property. From great restaurant suggestions, to friendly employees, to room service that is there almost immediately, all around it's far exceeded my expectations. And as someone who has stayed at 25+ different SPG properties this is saying something.

For those who are concerned that Leicester Square is like Times Square, the hotel isn't really on Leicester Square. It's adjacent to it. It really should be called the W Chinatown or really the W Soho (that's what I would suggest). Centrally located and accessible to all the fun stuff. From hidden gems and pubs and amazing restaurants, to all the touristy stuff one may want to do, this is great hotel and I resoundingly recommend it to any traveler, whether for business or pleasure.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Andrew S

WOW!

Thank you for your excellent review. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your W experience. I am very happy to hear that we managed to exceed your expectations. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best.

Once gain thank you and I hope you will give us the opportunity to WOW you on your next visit.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Modern, glamourous, excellent service! I enjoyed every aspect of my stay starting from a smooth check-in experience and ending with the beautiful dining and bar areas! Amazing music selection in the evenings!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear m5clt

WOW!

Thank you for your fantastic review. I am delighted to heat that you enjoyed your W experience
I have already shared your wonderful comments with our Welcome Desk and with the rest of the W team of what we do best!

I look forward to seeing you at W London – Leicester Square.