“Long Way To Go”

Ranked #390 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Whistler, Canada
“Long Way To Go”
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Although the W Leicester Square may well one day be a proper high end property, right now it's simply not worth the money.

Here are some of the issues we found during our two night stay: The hotel is very short staffed, the phone system isn't working properly (we had to go down to reception one night to request a wake up call because all of the phone extensions would not connect), they had to go out and buy a North American power adaptor (the next day) because they didn't have any, there was no remote control in the room, the shower door leaked into the room, one of the hanging lanterns would not stop moving due to air currents, the fitness room and spa are still under construction, they ran out of umbrellas, the bar was out of certain spirits, and after just a few days of being open, there was already a stain on the bed cover and a frayed bath towel. We didn't eat, so cannot comment on the food service. We also found that one of the elevators made two stops on the first floor but the buttons were not labelled as to which was which (one appeared to be a staff area). Only one of the two business centre computers would print. Issue after issue kept popping up and, although none were major, it became rather irritating. Starwood have opened many hotels before, there is no excuse for many of the above noted annoyances.

On the upside, the staff we did encounter were friendly, upbeat and obviously very proud of their workplace. The decor is very unique and laid out in such a way that makes the room seem a little larger than it is (which is extremely small). The Leicester Square location is really good, and the bar atmosphere was lively. For a more traditional Irish pub experience, try Waxy O'Connors across the street.

Will it eventually be a great place to stay? Probably, provided that everything is fixed quickly, and you don't mind the tiny room size. But for this stay, it felt that I was paying to be a guinea pig, and I certainly would have expected more.

2 Thank Vortoozo
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 21 March 2011
Dear Vortoo,

Thank you for your comments and feedback. I have discussed your issues with the teams and we now have a system in place to improve these issues. I would be delighted to talk this through further either in person or on the phone.

Regards,
Kevin Rockey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Thought we'd try out the newly opened W Hotel in Leicester Square for a weekend in London and initial impressions were good, excellent location, impressive brand new glass building, and a warm welcome from the arrival staff who swifly took care of the bags and valet parking.
We arrived at 3pm and the room wasn't ready (probably due to all the mirrors that have too be polished!) but this wasn't a problem as we were heading out anyway. The decor was a little OTT and probably not how you'd want your house decorated but its definitely fun, unusual and surprisingly comfortable. The rooms have an unusual layout with the shower & loo in seperate cupboards and the sink in the middle of the room. As you'd expect the mini bar is expensive, £4 for a Kit Kat, £6 for a Coke, and there are also a few unusual items you might find useful later in the evening!
The main problem with this hotel is the volume of music in the bar in the evenings, our room was two floors above the bar and due to a long tiring day we unusually decided to retire at 11:30pm. Upon hearing how loud the music was, probably amplified by the glass atrium that shrouds the entire hotel, I rang reception to ask what time the music stops and was told around 3am, and was laughably offered ear plugs as the hotel was full! I calmly explained that this is not acceptacle for a 5 star hotel charging over £300 per night and that if something wasn't sorted out I would be coming down to turn the music off myself. To be fair the staff were fantastic, the duty manager phoned back within 5 minutes with the offer of moving to the top floor, and the bell boy appeared within 5 mins to help us move.
I have to say all the staff in the hotel were fantastic all weekend, very calm, happy & smiling, relaxed, polite, down to earth, and efficient. Too often in London hotels we experience pompous, snooty, false and rude staff but not here, even more impressive that all the time and money that have gone into this hotel, the staff outshine it all. Please keep up the good work, we look forward to returning soon (but please do something about the music volume or at least allocate the noisey rooms to the deaf or party animals!). If you are planning a stay at the "W" I would strongly suggest ringing in advance to book a room high up and away from the bar music.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RonaldoTheFox
WLondonlsq, Executive Assistant to the GM at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 24 February 2011
Hey Ronaldo,

Thanks for your feedback and comments. Its great hear what you think of the hotel and your experience. I’m sorry to hear you were kept up by the busy bar and that you found our suggestion a little strange. I’d love to meet up the next time you are here and walk you around more of our spaces. Perhaps together we can check out which areas of the hotel and rooms will suit you best.

See you soon
Kevin
LONDON
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Finally London has its own W Hotel and it lived up to everything that makes W wow. The reception and entrance really makes you go wow and the bar is very cool with fires and a great cocktail menu - we loved the room very different use of the bathroom but a great concept and as always the W beds are the best. The restaurant is the same spice market as new york and food for awesome - overall an amazing hotel and so nice to have something different and truly W in London, will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2011
New York
Reviewed 18 February 2011

This is my second night at the hotel and I already felt that I am squanderign my money for nothing - granted that they opened three days ago and there are still for them to learn, but the quality of the service is JUST appaling - the rooms are extremely small, even by London standard, and are probbaly 60-70% of the size of Meridien Picadilly or Shearaton Park and Tower. Also, they are still construction going on in the building, so it is very noisy after 10 am when the construciton is permitted to start. Also, some rooms still smell terrible because of teh painting- long story short, they tried three rooms before they were able to find a proper room that there is relatively clean and smell fresh. The service is also terrile, at 8 am some hotel staff knocked at my door to deliver newspaper despite the fact that there is a Donot disturb sign at the door. And the room was not cleaned up at 4 pm and I had to call them, and they did not even bother to replenish shampoo etc. So I called again and they promosed to fix it so I went out for a walk, 1.5 hour later, they still had not delivered - The floor manager's explination is that some sttaff were sick, quite unbelievable, is not? There are some good things to say about the hotel as well - hte bar is not too bad, the internet is very fast and reliable. But by the end of the day, I came to a hotel to rest not to party. As a SPG plantium member, I give this hotel a one star - it is absolutely below the standard, and I only hope that they can improve

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Seantraveler71
WLondonlsq, executive assistant at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 23 February 2011
Hi Sean,

Firstly i’d like to thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. Your comments are valuable to all the team and give us lots to learn from. I would welcome the opportunity to talk through each of these concerns individually either in person at the hotel or over the phone.

Please do email me directly (kevin.rockey@whotels.com)and we can follow up on each point more specifically via phone or in person.

Kevin
Montpellier, France
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I know W for a long time now, but what they did in London is just AMAZING. I stayed the night of the opening. Arrived in the morning, the staff was very helpful, friendly and very professional. The building is brand new, and the design is fantastic. I really enjoyed the wonderful room, even if the bathroom is completely merged with the bedroom, this concept suits me perfectly. What about the bar (W Lounge)? The atmosphere there, the quality of the drinks, everything was just perfect. I will definitely go back there. YES, BEST HOTEL IN LONDON!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
WLondonlsq, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 21 February 2011
Dear Volta_88,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about the hotel. We are glad you enjoyed thr design concept of the hotel and found our staff very friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Warm Regards,

Denne Dempsey
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I have spent a lot time in W hotels around the world and had many good times, however this one in a nutshell has the charm (bars) of an airport lounge with the design of a pole-dancing club (late bar / night club). The rooms are very small, including basins outside the bedrooms with shower / toilet pods that turn off the lights leaving you in the dark. Hall of mirror restrooms, where mirrors wall to ceiling on both sides of the entrance mean you naturally (I was warned and luckily used my hands to prevent it) walk into the wall (hint turn left - not right!); really sum up the whole place - a badly executed, poorly designed waste of an great opportunity. London has many other great contemporary hotels, this one I feel 95% would visit once and never return – including myself sadly.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank busmantravel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Last night I attended the W hotel bar with friends for dinner and drinks prior to attending a work party; considering it was opening night at the W Hotel I had high expectations, however I experienced some of the worst service by a rude and ill mannered waitress.

We sat in the Library area on the 1st floor, which is a cool contemporary space. Whilst sitting in this area we ordered our first round of drinks for which we had to wait 25 minutes. We were extremely disappointed with this service and complained to the waitress serving, she blamed the bar staff and the fact that it was busy, she did not offer an apology nor did she seem to care, she even suggested we leave our dinner table and go to the bar and get our own drinks.

In an establishment such as the W this is neither the attitude or response you would expect from a waitress especially when I have previously experienced outstanding service at the W Hotel, Barcelona.

We complained to another member of staff , Giovanni who turned the appalling experience around and was completely charming, funny and professional -exactly how you would expect staff members of the W act.

Under no circumstances should staff treat the customers as second best, especially on opening night, when you would think making a good impression would be key.