“Mixed Experience”

Ranked #396 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Mixed Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2011

Decided in favor of W London because it was new, just opened its doors to guests and last but not the least its location, which suited my needs. I had high expectations prior to my journey but I at the check-in itself I was in for a shock. My credit card was constantly getting denied despite and as a result she refused to let me in. I offered another card which also did not work. I pointed out that it was no fault of mine I had enough funds on my card account and it should work. More importantly I had paid in full while I made the booking hence I have every right to be checked in. After prolonged argument she willy-nilly let me in. It was later found out that the hotel system had an error because of which approval was declined. A few pluses: the hotel has a few very energetic staff who wore smile on their faces all the time but unfortunately they are not trained. I liked the lounge attached to the front office area and it has already become a happening place. The location of the hotel is also a big plus. Now minuses: the room was small and in the middle of the room you have the shallow wash basin and extended table and a chair. The shower cubicle and WC are separate but closed with full-view mirror. It's quite unconventional design but did not go down very well as not at all convenient. The curtain when drawn could not cover up light from outside even during night. There is no coffee or tea making facility or free drinking water in the room. Upon request as SPG Gold member they provided one small bottle of water everyday. There was no turn-down service available in the evening. It was done only after several calls made to the guest services. The hotel is going through severe teething trouble but I must thank Rupa Deora who came forward and resolved the credit card issue and tried her best to help. I may consider going back after sometime when the hotel settles down and I read some positive reviews in future.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Bablu05
WLondonlsq, Executive Assistant to the GM at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 3 March 2011
Dear Reli,

Thank you for your comments and feedback. I have discussed your issues with the teams and we now have a system in place to ensure this never happens again.

Regards,
Kevin Rockey (Kevin.rockey@whotels.com)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

After being in this hotel for one day, I was unsure if this place was worthy of the hype surrounding its long-awaited opening.

When i got to my room, the heat didn't work but when I called to report the problem, an engineer was sent up within 5 mins and it was fixed.

That's the best I have to report...
My room had not been vacuumed...there were hairs and food crumbs on the rug that I didn't put there.
There is construction going on still. There was hammering and drilling for an hour straight at one point this afternoon.
The Internet is unreliable and both the Internet connection and the tv service were unavailable at one point today.
The music from the club is quite loud and goes until 4 am and can be heard from the guest
Rooms.

I also overheard people saying that the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night.

For a new property, still lots of kinks to work out....

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Jdavis032
Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

First of all, this hotel is beautiful. From it's chic exterior to it's mirror ball filled lobby, to it's uber trendy rooms, this hotel screams style, as does almost everyone in there. But this does come with a hefty price tag. This hotel is all about aesthetics, if it looks good, it is good and sadly this meant a few service problems although these were dealt with appropriately by the hotel.

The location is excellent, literally in Leicester square and I wouldn't hesitate to come back. I'm sure the hotels teething problems will be worked out soon, the hotel is only 2 weeks old afterall.

• Stayed February 2011
Dear Becky,

Thank you for posting your note and for this positive feedback. Perhaps when you are back next we can show you around some more of the spaces here at W London.

Thanks
Kevin Rockey (General Manager)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

What can i say, This has to be the coolest hotel in London. my room had its own steam room and plasma tv. the hotel bar was buzzing,the staff looked after us so well, and the room service prices for london are great. Loved the Sanderson Hotel BUT loving the W a lot more.Thank you for an amazing stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
WLondonlsq, Executive Assistant to the GM at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 24 February 2011
Hey Joan,

Thank you for your note. Stay tuned, there’s more to come.

See you soon ,
Kevin
West Malling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

Easy to find you can't miss it. Helpfull staff to greet you at the entrance. Lobby was really cool and although it was busy we were checked in straight away. The lobby is also next to the bar lounge, cocktails are £15 each. If you can't afford to stay I would recommend going in just for a drink.
The rooms are COOL!! Keep an open mind. Mini bar stocks some very interesting items. Once you've finished saying look at this and look at that you may find the toilet and shower.
Our breakfast order to the room was messed up, but you've got to expect some teething problems. The staff promtly amended our order.
Go shopping, then for a meal and then clubbing it's all on your doorstep.
Oh yeah, I wish I'd taken my dog. They have a full menu and services for pets, it's about time my dog was reconised as a family member.

Hi Maddelin,

Thank you so much for these kind words. It means so much to hear we’re getting it right. I’m sorry about your breakfast order and glad to hear we promptly rectified the error. Please do bring your dog next time and let our W Insider know before-hand so we can arrange something special to keep the tail wagging!

See you soon, Kevin
Whistler, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

Although the W Leicester Square may well one day be a proper high end property, right now it's simply not worth the money.

Here are some of the issues we found during our two night stay: The hotel is very short staffed, the phone system isn't working properly (we had to go down to reception one night to request a wake up call because all of the phone extensions would not connect), they had to go out and buy a North American power adaptor (the next day) because they didn't have any, there was no remote control in the room, the shower door leaked into the room, one of the hanging lanterns would not stop moving due to air currents, the fitness room and spa are still under construction, they ran out of umbrellas, the bar was out of certain spirits, and after just a few days of being open, there was already a stain on the bed cover and a frayed bath towel. We didn't eat, so cannot comment on the food service. We also found that one of the elevators made two stops on the first floor but the buttons were not labelled as to which was which (one appeared to be a staff area). Only one of the two business centre computers would print. Issue after issue kept popping up and, although none were major, it became rather irritating. Starwood have opened many hotels before, there is no excuse for many of the above noted annoyances.

On the upside, the staff we did encounter were friendly, upbeat and obviously very proud of their workplace. The decor is very unique and laid out in such a way that makes the room seem a little larger than it is (which is extremely small). The Leicester Square location is really good, and the bar atmosphere was lively. For a more traditional Irish pub experience, try Waxy O'Connors across the street.

Will it eventually be a great place to stay? Probably, provided that everything is fixed quickly, and you don't mind the tiny room size. But for this stay, it felt that I was paying to be a guinea pig, and I certainly would have expected more.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Vortoozo
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 21 March 2011
Dear Vortoo,

Thank you for your comments and feedback. I have discussed your issues with the teams and we now have a system in place to improve these issues. I would be delighted to talk this through further either in person or on the phone.

Regards,
Kevin Rockey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

Thought we'd try out the newly opened W Hotel in Leicester Square for a weekend in London and initial impressions were good, excellent location, impressive brand new glass building, and a warm welcome from the arrival staff who swifly took care of the bags and valet parking.
We arrived at 3pm and the room wasn't ready (probably due to all the mirrors that have too be polished!) but this wasn't a problem as we were heading out anyway. The decor was a little OTT and probably not how you'd want your house decorated but its definitely fun, unusual and surprisingly comfortable. The rooms have an unusual layout with the shower & loo in seperate cupboards and the sink in the middle of the room. As you'd expect the mini bar is expensive, £4 for a Kit Kat, £6 for a Coke, and there are also a few unusual items you might find useful later in the evening!
The main problem with this hotel is the volume of music in the bar in the evenings, our room was two floors above the bar and due to a long tiring day we unusually decided to retire at 11:30pm. Upon hearing how loud the music was, probably amplified by the glass atrium that shrouds the entire hotel, I rang reception to ask what time the music stops and was told around 3am, and was laughably offered ear plugs as the hotel was full! I calmly explained that this is not acceptacle for a 5 star hotel charging over £300 per night and that if something wasn't sorted out I would be coming down to turn the music off myself. To be fair the staff were fantastic, the duty manager phoned back within 5 minutes with the offer of moving to the top floor, and the bell boy appeared within 5 mins to help us move.
I have to say all the staff in the hotel were fantastic all weekend, very calm, happy & smiling, relaxed, polite, down to earth, and efficient. Too often in London hotels we experience pompous, snooty, false and rude staff but not here, even more impressive that all the time and money that have gone into this hotel, the staff outshine it all. Please keep up the good work, we look forward to returning soon (but please do something about the music volume or at least allocate the noisey rooms to the deaf or party animals!). If you are planning a stay at the "W" I would strongly suggest ringing in advance to book a room high up and away from the bar music.

1 Thank RonaldoTheFox
Hey Ronaldo,

Thanks for your feedback and comments. Its great hear what you think of the hotel and your experience. I’m sorry to hear you were kept up by the busy bar and that you found our suggestion a little strange. I’d love to meet up the next time you are here and walk you around more of our spaces. Perhaps together we can check out which areas of the hotel and rooms will suit you best.

See you soon