“Service !!! - What Service ???”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Eleanor's Cocktail Bar
Ranked #343 of 1,277 Nightlife in London
More attraction details
Owner description: he Strand bar, London, is the perfect place to enjoy a pre-dinner or post-work drink, an informal meeting or a bite to eat in Victorian yet friendly surroundings. Don't miss the live music every Friday night, when you can sit back and relax in this most atmospheric London bar.
Westerham
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Service !!! - What Service ???”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

It is my custom, late evening, to call into the 1st floor bar for a quiet drink before catching a train home. The regular bar staff greet me with courtesy and organise my usual Pink Gin without delay.

Friday 28th February was an unfortunate experience - after watiing 10 minutes to be served I departed and shall not patronise the Charing Cross Hotel ever again. If the bar staff had been my employees (I'm CEO of a major Company) they would have been dismissed instantly, without reference, and escorted from the premises by Security Officers. They need to go back to "Training School" to learn better.

The Floor Manager expressed little interest when I complained and the best thing to say about the Duty Manager, when summoned, is that he is incompetent.

1 Thank Peter T

Redditch, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“A slightly strange experience”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

This forms part of the review left on the hotel as a whole.

The cocktail bar.
This was quite an odd experience. not unpleasant just a little strange.
We had returned from the Barbican theatre (around 2300) and were going to call in at Horseguards for a cocktail. This is part of the same hotel group and having stayed there previously it has a lovely atmosphere for a late tipple, always buzzy and welcoming. However we thought we would try the hotels own bar as it is open until 0100 and we then didn't have to venture back outside.
There were two staff on duty and a handful of patrons. We sat at the bar and had a mooch through the menu. When we could no longer be ignored by the member of staff tidying the bar we were asked to order. I ordered an Espresso Martini to be told I couldn't have espresso in it (no idea why as coffee was being served) but would I like it made with Bailey's - um no thank you.
Alternative drinks were ordered and were fine. Strangely for the larger London hotel bars there were no 'nibbles' to accompany the drinks.
Just after 2330 the barman started wandering around the cocktail lounge removing the candle style lights from tables and clearing things away, there were still around 12 people in there and they are open until 0100.
He then got out the vacuum cleaner and started cleaning around the outskirts of the bar area - I was awaiting a chorus of Freddie Mercury's 'I want to break Free (minus the pink curlers).
We asked the female member of staff if they were closing early and she said no - other people then ordered further drinks so we ordered another round of cocktails also. She was a little more chatty and also popped a bowl of mixed nuts out with the drinks.
The gentleman put his vacuum away and came back to the bar. He politely advised us that they would not serve cocktails after midnight (in a cocktail bar open until 0100?) as they lock the bottles away. We wouldn't have wanted another round of drinks anyway but bearing in mind this is a really busy weekend before Christmas the whole atmosphere was lacking in festive spirit. At about 2350 the bar areas were cleared of bottles, mixers etc. and the bar appeared to shut down around the customers still in there.
I must stress the staff were pleasant and in no way rude but unfortunately by effectively closing up around you before midnight did not make you in any way feel welcome.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Bollybat
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Not cheap - but central, atmospheric and lovely staff”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Having frequented a number of London hotel bars, this has to be one of my favourites so far. Drinks may be slightly on the dearer side, but I had a lovely glass of white, which was very good value. It is brilliant for business travellers, as there are no issues hitting the bars on your own and the Wifi is relatively fast.

The ambiance is lovely, and staff was very personable and helpful. Will be back next time I'm in London. Just don't go here expecting the cheapest drinks in town - there are other, less well-rounded places close by for that.

Visited January 2013
London
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Nice place, great, friendly service”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I took my wife here for a treat, prior to dinner at Massimo, London is usually jam packed with all sorts on a Saturday night so I opted to take my wife to Eleanor's Bar at The Charing Cross Hotel; where I knew we could have a drink and chat.

The bar is very nice and the service we recieved was excellent. I had the Expresso Martini which was fantastic and and I shall be learning how to make these in the future, my wife had a glass of prosecco.

The staff were very friendly and I didn't mind paying the 12.5 service charge as they were friednly and very attentive. My only gripe was the prosecco was small for the price. However... we were in the centre of London at a lovely hotel and it was a great start to the evening.

Visited July 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“disgustingly & unfairly expensive”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I was early to meet my friend so ordered myself a glass of Merlot at the bar - £10.71!! which included 12.5% service charge - service? I'd gone to the bar and got it myself. The decor was average verging on cheesey and the menus on the tables were all tatty and old - wont be going back.

Visited March 2012