“Awesome mix of fun and good food. Ideal for parties.”
Review of The Peacocks - CLOSED

Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Have popped in for Saturday Birthday eats (was booked) and arranged Sunday burlesque afternoon tea.

Burlesque afternoon tea was a huge hit with friends from Cardiff and Greece. English culture with a contemporary twist.

Goats cheese tartlets really yummy. Staff were friendly and patient with language barriers and special diets.

1  Thank Sam L
There are newer reviews for The Peacocks

Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

This is seriously one of the worst places I have ever been!
Arrived early afternoon for cupcake making as part of a hen do (group of 20). The place was STIFLING with no air conditioning. The decor was shabby, the place was dirty and the old wooden chairs (like you'd expect to find at a village hall) and random coffee tables which looked liked they'd all been purchased from a charity shop covered in pink paper, tablecloths and FILTHY toilets didn't help with my first impressions!!!!
To be honest we weren't really taught anything during cupcake making, (it was more like when i decorate cakes with my children) and when they bought some chocolate out to make truffles it was so melted due to the heat it was an impossible task.
We then sat around in the awful heat for an hour before our cocktail making lesson. This involved two sleazy barmen who were more interested in groping the hen party than teaching about cocktails. When I say "teaching" I use the term loosely. We went behind the bar one by one and chose a cocktail from the list then copied them make it. I learnt absolutely nothing - and whilst I wasn't expecting a science lesson I did expect that for £30 I'd get more out if it than three cocktails in warm glasses. It was a two hour session but only because we made them one by one - the rest of the time we just stood around the bar.
Afternoon tea... Again, maybe I was expecting more than I should have done but afternoon tea in my mind is a classy affair sat around a table in a comfortable venue with fresh tea and homemade scones. Not this one!! We got moved directly outside the toilet at the back of the venue, where they moved our dirty tables and lined our wooden chairs up along the wall. We waited about an hour for them to bring out warm food and dirty cups for the tea. The scones were ok but not with melted butter and warm clotted cream!!!!
Returned to the venue in the evening ready to melt due to the heat in there but remaining positive about a platter dinner and burlesque Cabaret and some time to sit down at a dining table and have a chance for a good old gossip and giggle. Oh how wrong I was.... The room had now turned into a stifling club and we were still on our wooden chairs and manky tablecloths next to the toilet. Our "platters" started coming out at 8pm and were STILL coming out at 11pm! First on our feast was baskets of chips, followed by pitta bread 30 minutes later, spring roll 30 minutes after that (get the drift!) chicken sticks, fish fingers and finally at 11pm some brownies. Very much frozen party food so cannot comment on the taste as I didn't eat any (but that should tell you something in itself!!)
The Caberet was a women swinging round a pole (impressive; but I'd go to a pole dance club if I wanted to see that) and another women shuffling on a makeshift stage.
The whole event was cheap, tacky and distasteful.
Thankfully we are a group of close friends so managed to make the most of it.
I have never felt the need to review a venue before and know people sometimes like to complain for the sake of it but if you are considering this venue for a hen party (or any other reason) and actually like the person you are organising it for then I'd strongly recommend you avoid this place like the plague!!!

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My group of friends got a wowcher deal for the burlesque night.
We were told to arrive early, the place is run down and the bathroom was disgusting before the start of the night.
We waited two hours before the show which consisted of two dancers who came out and did a dance each before disappearing, it wasn't burlesque either, it was more Spanish, the three course meal we were promised was awful and it was finger food consisting of a basket of frozen chips, spring rolls and mini burgers and sausages.
We had read the reviews before going and thought we would still give it the benefit of doubt but wished we hadn't! My advice: do not go here, even if you got a cheap deal, it really isn't worth it

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Absolutely shabby run down bar ripped sofas, ladies toilet wallpaper ripped and torn down,
Big rip off advertising burlesque night, you get there and no !! You get a pole dancer for all of 3 mins twice in the evening which I am sure was a lady boy.
Complained and offered a bottle of champagne ,,,, no thanks. Food greasy spilled out on to my trousers.
Cancel if you have booked !!!!

Reviewed 9 June 2013

So I got this deal of wowcher where I was to get a 3 course meal a vintage photo champagne and see a burlesque show.

To redeem this deal was a nightmare to start with as you could only do it by email. So email sent to get no reply. Second email sent again no reply. In the end I phoned them to have them not even talk to me on the phone but someone else. Was told to resend the email and they had booked me in.
Email resent and to this day I still not had a reply!

The venue is nothing like what it looks like in the photos. It's small dated and needs a good paint job and updating. When we walked in I had just wanted to walk back out! It was embarrassing!

We stood in the door way for about 10mins till one of my group members went and found someone to see where we could sit. We was put on a tiny table that was really low down covered by a ripped table cloth!
The chairs was uncomfortable and one was even broken.

Cocktails was 2 4 1 before 8pm but you had to have the same cocktail twice. The staff was so slow on making the drinks it took almost half an hour to make the cocktails and some of them was not even more than half a glass!

I had to ask about the champagne as well as the photo. The photo that was meant to be vintage was a guy walking around with some masks and feather bowers took a quick pic and walked of. We never saw them or got a copy.

The 3 course meal - well I had better at my cousins birthday party the night before! It was finger food that looked like it had come from Iceland! This was meant to feed four of us it wouldn't of even filled one person up! I got a few chips and a bit of bread! The food took ages to come out and it was around midnight before the last course came out which was 4 little chocolate things. I didn't even see a second course!

As for the show! Well the stage was a box that wouldn't fit more than 2 people on. There was one pole in the middle of the room and that's it. A lady came out dressed in some Spanish gear danced a bit on the pole and was gone wasnt even a full song and Nothing burlesque at all! A second lady came up and danced with another group but again looked more Spanish. Had it not been the group next to us we would never of even noticed another dancer had come out!

We had girls being sick at a table next to us and had to inform the staff who was in no really hurry to clean it up and we had to get them a jug of water.

The evening was not what we had planned or expected and I would never recommend this place to anyone! Had I off seen the reviews before I would not of wasted the money! I will be emailing Wowcher as its not a good business to advertise!

I know I have gone on a bit here but anyone going should really know what they are getting!
I hope you find this review useful!

3  Thank CB027