“location great, price cheap but strange place” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of 4 Star Hostel

4 Star Hostel
Ranked #552 of 828 Speciality Lodging in London
Hamburg, Germany
“location great, price cheap but strange place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

check in is in the cellar and this must have been a disco at some stage. The place must be run by Russians. Personell very friendly. Lift upstairs tiny and old, can take maximum 2 people.
Accomodation not clean - my bed linnen was definitely not new - under the pillow I found a city map of London which belonged to the lady who slept there before. Red carpet full of spots, shower with black hair in them. door of WC hard to close because door broken. A lot of maintenance work would be good and a big cleaning team. At 11.00 pm all of a sudden a man stood in the room saying: staff - just checking. Then he said my name and ticked it off on his clip board. This gave me a really unsafe and creepy feeling. What has this guy doing in the ladies´ dorm at this time of night?

Room Tip: better sleep in your cloths and leave your shoes on if you walk to the bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank MasonG56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Rosario, Argentina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

The location is unbeatable, two blocks from the Piccadilly Circus tube stop.

Everything else is terrible. It's not a hostel - it's a couple of rooms above a shady Russian restaurant. It has no facilities besides the (very basic) rooms and bathrooms. It also looks very run down.

The worst part is the lack of security. The lockers are outside the rooms in the hall (why? who ever thought that was a good idea?), and they are very flimsy and beat up. There's supposed to be security at night (did I mention the main door is always open and anyone can get in?) but I only saw the man there two out of five nights.

On my first morning there a cleaning lady woke me up because they had found my purse on the staircase - somebody had broken into my locker during the night, taken my money and discarded the rest on their way out. The manager told me I should have left my things at reception (which is only open a few hours a day) and acted like it wasn't a big deal (maybe it happens often? Not unlikely.)

Stay well away. The location alone is not worth how unsafe this place is.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank singtheendsong

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Location - fabulous!
Staff - good
Beds - I could feel every spring in the mattress
Bathroom - not clean and only one for about 30 people

I stayed here over NYE. The room size was fine, but the beds were uncomfortable and I couldn't find a single outlet in the room to charge my phone. They said they were in the process of renovating so maybe quality will improve.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank Kali B
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Annoying. No common/living room, no kitchen, not even a place where eating is allowed. 2 toilets for more than 40 people. Only the location is good, but better sleeping on the street for free at this point.

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank Abx300
hostel4star, Guest Relations Manager at 4 Star Hostel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Abx300,

We’d like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback after staying at 4 Star hostel at Piccadilly London.
It is a disappointment to hear we weren’t able to meet your expectations.
Please note we do have eating areas near the main reception for guest staying with us.
Hope to see you again soon at 4 Star hostel.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

For many people staying in a hostel, shopping in mayfair is probably going to be out your reach. Shopping aside it is still fantastic location with shorts to green park and Piccadilly circus underground stations.

The hostel has helpful staff, the bedding is clean and comfortable and the bathroom is cramped.

criticisms: it was quite quiet socially and at £30 a night Friday-Saturday is slightly poor value for money!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Ian,

We’d like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback after staying at 4 Star hostel at Piccadilly, London.

Masaka
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

... But it has never seen three of those stars.
However, (and I stress that) if you can live with modest accommodation which at first glance looks a little dodgy, but turns out to be quite decent for the price range, you'll find that this is actually a great choise if saving money is a priority.
Staying in a hostel requires you to tolerate other people's habits and they yours. If you live with decent people that is not going to be a problem, but in many ways you are at the mercy of your bunk buddies.
But hey, I'm 35 and very comfortable, and I was completely satified with my stay there. That says a whole lot! And I didn't hear a word of complaint from the others in the room, even though I probably both snore and fart in my sleep.
That's also why it gets an above average rating from me!

By the way! Did I mention that it is SMACK in the middle of Central London? Piccadilly is only minutes away.

I'd certainly stay here again!

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Jacob,

bronx, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

At first when I saw the multicolored hallway and the archaic doorway I thought I was in for a terrible suprise. Then, when I walked down the stairs to the restraunt where they conducted reception. There were cocatous and parrots flying around and I wondered if I had stumbled upon some kind of hippy commune. In any case, despite all my tipidations, it turned out to be a nice stay. Yes, there is are few showers, but to be honest I never had a problem getting a shower. Besides, while I was waiting there were always pretty girls to talk to (and if your a girl, I'm sure you can find a guy to strike up a conversation with). Also, I would like to mention the staff, who were beyond kind. I had dirty clothes I needed to wash and they did it without hesitation. They even held my bag without charge which I found extremely helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo