“Excellent meal.”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Belgravia
Description: Renowned throughout London and beyond, Petrus is one of the biggest names on the restaurant scene. With the world-renowned Gordon Ramsay behind the scheme to raise Petrus - now located on Knightsbridge's Kinnerton Street - from the ashes, the restaurant exudes the famous Ramsay sense of luxury combined with down-to-earth charm. Decorated in subtle tones of champagne, oyster and copper along with the claret red which inspired the restaurant's name, Petrus's beguiling interior is superbly decadent and romantic and actually quite intimate. In the kitchen, Head Chef Larry Jayasekara is creating its trademark modern French menu. At Petrus the highest-quality ingredients go into dishes that combine delicious familiar flavours with unique presentation. Expect waves of divine amuse-bouches and a stupendous wine list, including a long list of vintages of Petrus to make it all perfect.
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Last time I went to Petrus I had commented that it was excellent but that some of the dishes were the slightly predictable Ramsay style. But this time, the whole experience was changed by a massive effort spent on improving the presentation and the style of the dishes.

We were a group of 6, which included 6 vegetarians. Worried at first by the fact that the website did not include a chef's menu for vegetarians and that we might all be forced to go for the 3-dishes a la carte menu instead of the chef's menu, I appreciated the effort made by the staff to make up a tasting menu for our vegetarians colleagues too so that everyone could enjoy the optimal experience. All dishes were nice and well presented and the drink was very good too.

Petrus prices are very affordable compared to other top restaurant. You can get away with about £100 per person if you keep your drinks bill reasonable. With one bottle of champagne and one bottle of wine between 6 we cam up with just about £115 each. Other top restaurants (eg Ducasse at Dorchester or Gordon Ramsay at Hospital Road) will set you back £200 each and the atmosphere in those is more formal.

So, Petrus is a no brainer if you want to have a really nice meal in a nice setting, but yet still slightly informal.

2  Thank OYP-London

Reviewed 5 February 2013

Visited for a 'special' birthday. The food was sublime, we ate from the a la carte menu, presentation was excellent, meats were cooked exactly as ordered and you walked away from the table full. The staff are highly professional, very easy to talk to, eager that your dining experience is the best.
Overall, fantastic food served in a lovely atmosphere by staff that are prepared to go the extra mile.

1  Thank WendyMHaynes
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We visited Petrus for my birthday on Saturday evening. Absolutely stunning food! We chose the chef's menu which was a non-stop journey of delicious, mouth-watering and indulgent dishes. Service was great, lovely atmosphere. We were made to feel very comfortable and special. It was expensive but we felt the food and wine were worth the cost. I would absolutely recommend the beef fillet- unbelievable! The chocolate dome dessert was amazing too. Actually, it's difficult to choose a favourite part of the meal because every dish was stunning.
I would definitely recommend this for a special occasion.

1  Thank DanielSouthall
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Petrus to celebrate my daughter’s birthday.
The service was professional, very efficient, warm and friendly.
We all chose the three-course a la carte menu – faultless food as you would expect.
The amuse bouche and other surprises were equally delicious.
When they didn’t have the wine I requested they offered us a more expensive bottle at the lower price.
Our superb evening was topped off with a very artistic ‘birthday cake’, a visit to the kitchen and a chat with Michelin chef Sean Burbidge.
A very memorable meal.
Thanks to all at Petrus.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

This was one of my best dining experiences ever. I went for lunch on my birthday with my husband and although the food was superb the staff made it very special. They were attentive but discreet so as not to make you feel uncomfortable.
We had the 3 course lunch but you get extra surprises with that. I had the Mackerel followed by Pork Belly and the famous Chocolate Bomb to finish, what a treat. My husband had Foie gras and Pheasant Terrine, Hake and Baked Alaska with Mango to finish. Beware, if you have coffee or tea to follow you will get more chocolate in the form of chocolate almonds and a small drawer full of dark and plain chocolate and as they had also sent me a chocolate Macaroon with a candle for my birthday I was totally chocolated out. :-) We were then invited to view the kitchen and met the head chef. All I can say is Gordon must be very proud of him and his excellent staff.
Will definitely return with friends that appreciate good food.