“Great value hostel”

Palmers Lodge Hillspring
Ranked #42 of 895 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 7 July 2012

This was a perfect place to stay for a short trip to London. Rooms were clean, staff very friendly, and a speedy check in. The hostel is approx 10mins walk to the tube station so very accessible to rest of London. There is a bar/restaurant on site, secure entry system, and a nice buzz around the place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge Hillspring, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Dear Pkonline84

Many thanks for your review. We are glad that your group found Hilspring Lodge a good alternative for accommodation during your visit to London this summer.

We hope to see you back soon

Best regards

There are newer reviews for Palmers Lodge Hillspring

Reviewed 21 June 2012

I stayed for one night at the Palmers Lodge in Willesden and the hostel itself was ok. I had a private room with ensuite on the third floor, which included a double bed and a tv, which was great. But the windows overlooked the patio that was very lively even at 2AM, and to my big surprise, the tap water in the bathroom was non drinkable. I didn't think such a thing was even possible in London.

The hostel is definitely quite a strech from central London. You have to pay for a zone 3 fare, and endure a good 10 minute walk from the tube. If you are doing this at night, the neighborhood really doesn't feel like the safest, and I have to say that I walked much faster than usual in the hopes of getting to my room before I was mugged from my suitcase.

If really you want to cut on the costs of accommodation in London and don't mind traveling quite a bit to do so, then I suggest the Palmers Lodge Hillspring because as such it's a great, modern hostel (except for the water). Otherwise I would suggest their sister property in Swiss Cottage for better location.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank mawie49
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I was here two weeks ago and stayed for two nights with a mate in a room for 4.
The hostel is a little bit outside of the City of London, but you can get there easy by underground (but it takes ~20 minutes). The rooms are big enough for 4 persons and every person have a little cupboard for clothes, backpacks etc. I could leave my trolley inside. Not usually in most hostels!
The breakfast is okay, but not excellent. Jam, butter, margarine, cold and hot drinks, toast and croissants.
The showers and toilets are very clean and every shower have a own door and shelf space.

All in all the stay was good and I would come again.

For those who like to make something different than the famous things in London: You should visit the Hindu temple only two underground stations away. It is the biggest outside of India. We atke part in ceremony and it was very interesting.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Clemens_Schwarzbach

Dear Clemens

Many thanks for your feedback. We are glad that you and your friend enjoyed you stay at Hilspring Lodge back in June. We are currently looking to increase our breakfast options from late 2012, so will be looking forward to get your thoughts on the matter if you come back to stay with us then.

Warm regards

Reviewed 23 May 2012

I have stayed in many different hostels so far and this one is definitely my number 1. Immaculately clean, nice location, suberb facilities, great bar, excellent staff and good prices are ones of its biggest advantages. I would recommend this place to both young backpackers looking for a fun place where they could meet nice people to hang out with and families or professionals on business trips longing for a good sleep after a busy day.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo

Dear Daniel

Many thanks for your enthusiastic review. We are very proud to learn that we are No.1 on your list of favourite hostels.

Hope to see you back soon at Hillspring Lodge when you visit London next!

Reviewed 6 May 2012

We stayed for one night only due to a lack of hotels near to Wembley, we where under the illusion that we had booked a standard family room with ensuite. However in reality we got a four bunkbedded room with only a sink, and 2 of the beds where not full sized.

We where also under the impression that there was a no party atmosphere, however we had students holding conversations outside in the corridor at the top of their voices. In addition we had doors slamming until 2.30 in the morning, needless to say we didnt stay for our breakfast by 5.45 we had checked out. One good point was the bar bill was cheap.

Room Tip: If you are young and on abudget good, if you are middle aged and need your sleep and privacy avoid...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Esther M, Gerente at Palmers Lodge Hillspring, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Hi John

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you had a bad experience during your stay. We had an exceptionally badly behaved group over that night -Hillspring Lodge is usually criticised for been too quiet for a hostel.

I have made enquiries and I was informed that you were given a full refund, but I am interested to know which website you used to book the room, as you mentioned that you were expecting a room with 4 double beds? Which is something that we don’t offer. It would be very useful if you send us email with that information to feedback@palmerslodges.co.uk so we can double check the room descriptions on that particular booking engine.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

I stayed in this hostel for three week, and it was awesome! The staff were excellent, facilities great and the area was super! Highly recommended to London visitors!

Room Tip: Bigger rooms have curtains on each bed, the smaller rooms don't.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Frida H
Esther M, Marketing Manager at Palmers Lodge Hillspring, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear Frida

Many thanks for such a great feedback! We are very glad that you had a good time during your stay.

We hope to see soon at Hillspring Lodge when you are back in London.

Best regards

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Very clean, the 10bed room is not bad at all, just a little small and it is in the basement. The breakfast is continental but you can eat as much as you want and is pretty good. The bathroom is always,but really ALWAYS, clean. The subway is about 5 minutes away as well as the bus. The only problem is that it takes you about 25minutes to get to the heart of London, but for this price is probably the best you can get! I went with my friends, we were 10, and all of us loved the place, when I come to London I will stay in Hilspring Lodge for sure!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Rita

Thank you for the FIVE STARS review. We are pleased to learn that your group had a good time at Hillspring Lodge and that found our accommodation good value for money.

We hope to see you again soon!