“Too long a wait”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Description: Featuring quirky retro styling and a buzzy vibe throughout, Canteen Baker Street champions 'great British food'. From hearty breakfasts and nostalgic afternoon teas through to warming pies and roasts with traditional trimmings, Canteen is renowned for its wholesome, no-nonsense menu. Green upholstered booths and vintage school-canteen furnishings evoke a trendy retro feel, whilst a lively bar serves up an accomplished contemporary drinks list.
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I visited this café twice on a weekend away with a group of friends, at the request of the person hosting the event. My friend had booked a table for the 13 of us to have breakfast, so the restaurant knew how many of us there would be at that time. Despite that they clearly had not brought in enough staff, so that service was excruciatingly slow. With a busy schedule that morning, I was not pleased to have to spend 1 1/2 hours at a breakfast venue. Especially when the food was no more than fine. Given the prices, I would have expected something more.

Unfortunately I had to return the next day, and go through more of the same - but as the restaurant was busier, it was even worse. Orders were lost, and a friend and I almost walked out, but our food arrived at the very last minute.

So this is a place to go if you want a fairly limited breakfast menu that is pricy, and if you have plenty of time to spare. But if you are on a quick visit to London, I recommend exploring one of the many other options in the neighbourhood.

I certainly will not be returning.

1  Thank Traductora
There are newer reviews for Canteen - Baker Street

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We have had every kind of meal you can have at Canteen -- breakfast, lunch and dinner. And we keep coming back. The food is fresh and delicious and unpretentious. It's a great place to go with kids, but that shouldn't discourage people without them. Wish we had a Canteen back home!

Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Been following them on twitter for a while now so knew about the breakfasts and dinners. Had not though picked up on their amazing afternoon teas. Now I know I'll be back!
Superb service too......

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Everything about Canteen is subtle. The interior design, the menu and the presentation. Canteen's impact is then brought to the fore with traditional combinations that are wholly terrific.
The savoury pies are delicious (I ate my pie with french fries). Try the bread and butter pudding for a light breakfast treat with tea.
The service was spot on.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Visited for breakfast before heading to the airport. Good food, prompt friendly service. Good variety of entrees and they let me special order to my specifications.