“Mixed views”
Review of British Music Experience - CLOSED

British Music Experience
More attraction details
Owner description: Britain's interactive museum of popular music. Combining cutting edge audio-visual technology with some of the most coveted music memorabilia – the only exhibition where you can select your favourite content to keep. Trace era defining moments through 60 years of music and its influence on art and fashion. See iconic British music memorabilia from David Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust costume to Amy Winehouse’s dress. Develop your skills on guitar, bass, drums, vocals and even your dance moves!
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife liked the BME especially the costumes and the area you can play instruments. I liked the displays too but personally these days I can get all the imagery online so museums like this need to work harder to make it worth visiting. For me there were too many snippets and not enough real in-depth information to soak up. It also seemed to miss out indie bands and nothing recent was represented...well that not true as Adeles costume was there.
It was ok.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Anyone with an interest in music should visit this attraction, there is a wealth of memorabilia and music trivia housed in the wonderful setting of the O2 Arena. Turn a few dials and record your own experience onto a smart card to download later at your leisure. The only downside is that there aren't enough hours in a day to listen to everything, repeat visits are a must.

3  Thank Dave T
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This is a small exhibition of musical history from our little island and I have to say that it was a lot better than I had expected having read the reviews. I went with my teenage children and wife and they all had a great time. The experience provides a lot of information well laid out in chronological rooms that contain costumes and interactive exhibits. Considerable effort has been taken to make the exhibits interesting with video and audio interactivity.

There is a music room where you can play instruments using a video tutorials which cater for the 'never touched it before' novice to the 'I take my instrument everywhere' pro player. There are a number of guitars which include 1 left handed 6 string and a base. a few drum kits, a mixing deck a keyboard and a vocals mic. On entry you are given a plastic card which is used to interact with and record your performance so you get to listen back to it when you are at home.

We spent a few hours in the experience overall and I think with all the work that has gone into it they have done a good job of packing in so much information. I didn't absorb everything or even do everything that there was to be done there.

For those that are interested in the roots of our music heritage its worth a visit.

2  Thank Mark A
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We visited here on the combination ticket with up at the 02 (which was fantastic), but we were disappointed. The member of staff walking around was like the trunchbull......growling at people not to touch this, or to hold that guitar properly or not to take a photo. Put me on edge straight away. The instrument room is ok.....but the rest???? Not great, save your money and do something else

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We visited the museum in January last year and thought that it was quite good. We got it on a 2 for 1 because we travelled by train and to be honest I wouldn't have wanted to have paid full price then. We only spent a couple of hours there and so decided to revisit this year, I wish we hadn't have bothered.

The Museum is in the process of being refurbished however they haven't felt it necessary to reduce the price even though the museum is only about two-thirds of the one last year. Last time there were photos around the walls as you walked in and a guitar for you to have your picture holding. There was also a radio 2 room which was in conjunction with a show they were producing so I wasn't suprised that this had gone.
The whole museum is in one circular room with rooms coming off it with details of music and props from different eras and some of the equipment wasn't even working, this is it apart from the music room where you can have a go at playing. This is ok and you can record yourself but to be honest I can't think of many people who would want to listen to their playing when they get home, not unless you are really good.

I was especially disappointed at the fact that they made no effort to conceal the fact that they are updating the place, just putting tapes accross it just looked shabby. On the way downstairs it was worse the room at the bottom of the stairs was just left with loads of boxes and props dumped they had made no effort to conceal it at all. I dread to think what a visitor from abroad would think, you certainly wouldn't get this in America it just looked like they really couldn't be bothered, after all they have already got your money.

I wouldn't visit it again and if you were planning to I would wait until they move and get their act together. Go for a ride across the river on the cable car, much better experience.

1  Thank Janet66