“Long weekend in London”

Ranked #784 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Needham, Massachusetts
“Long weekend in London”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

For a city visit, the Shaftesbury is well located near the Marble Arch. We were upgraded to a sister property next door, the Montcalm. The room was comfortable and the staff was very friendly. Wifi was free. I don't know what the original property was like so can't comment. I thought the room cost was reasonable based on London rates especially for a location in the City center.

Room Tip: Our room, 901 was actually in the basement. This may sound dreadful, but it wasn't. It was like...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Ehad2,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor, and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the room in the end. I hope that the next time you will travel to London, you will also consider us a your first choice destination.

Kind Regards,

Alexander Henskens
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Got to shaftesbury marble arch paid £16 to park then went to check in and got told they had made a mistake and their were no rooms left, they then told us we were being moved to shaftesbury metropolis with complimentary breakfast and upgraded from duluxe to club room...i thought sweet :-) got to metropolis and i was askd to pay £20 to park... i refused, then went to our "upgraded room"...it was tiny with very poor lighting and a bed that was dipped very badly in the middle. I am so disapointed with this hotel and when i went to speak to reception they said someone will phone me asap and nobody ever did. I booked as a part of my partners birthday suprise weekend and it was ruined with such a shambles of a so called hotel. We fot let down by shaftesbury marble arch then let down by shaftesbury metropolis, shambles!!!I really do wish i had seen the reviews before i booked because i wouldnt have booked it. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!! Location was good that is all. So disapointed!!!

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Danielsmithy

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

East Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Don't. Don't. As long as we patronise places like this they will continue to rip off the unwary and give a bad image of London to visitors. It is in a good location. And the rooms are fine if a bit bling. I stayed because I had a dinner nearby. They had made an 'error' in the booking and in arrival I was told I'd be sent to one of their sister hotels. Given that that reason I'd booked was because it was 5 mins from my dinner I insisted. And a room materialised. The room was up 3 flights of narrow stairs - with no lift. And I was informed that there was no on suite catering ...so I walk to a different hotel for breakfast.....in late November. This is not a a 2 star Kings Cross place...it's allegedly a 5 star Hotel ....with prices to match...£180 with no breakfast included. I would strongly advise you look elsewhere for better value and a proper Hotel. Poor staff who were pleasant if valiant in their efforts to communicate their '5 star' offer.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Paul S
tampa, FL
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Like many other reviewers, I had booked to stay at the marble arch by Montcalm, which advertises itself as a five star, boutique spa hotel. I had therefore gone into this stay expecting a five star experience, but ours fell well short once we were transferred to the Shaftesbury suites.

The location is great, but you are paying a premium for that anyway. The rooms are nicely decorated, but in reality you would expect that; we were upgraded to a club room as compensation, and whilst we understood the room was bigger (we had room 8) I've stayed in other London hotels with a similar size room and the bed was a smallish double. We personally found the bed and pillows hideously uncomfortable but that can be a personal choice.

Whilst there was no major issues, we did have an extensive list of niggles:
The curtains were not put on the rail properly. The only way to close them was to either climb over the sofa or move it, and on the second night they came off the rail completely and my husband had to stand on the windowsill to reassemble it
Some of the lights decided not to work sometimes
There was no extra touches. No cups in the bathroom, no extra blankets or pillows, no free bottle of water, no little touches of luxury that you do hope for in a five star hotel (and in fact I've had much better in lower graded hotels)
We had booked a hotel with a spa and restaurant. There wasn't, not even a bar or lounge area.
The bathroom was a bit odd. The window was completely see through to the road, although there was a blind. The wood was starting to rot as the shower head sprayed straight onto the wooden window frame. The mirror and sink were both too high for me.
The wardrobe and bathroom both had a distinctly musty smell and there was dusty patches on the sills. There was cleaning going on, as bags of rubbish were left outside our room.
There was an ironing board (good), but it was very easy to trap your fingers in it.
There is no lift - and the loud creaky stairs were narrow making it a bit unsafe with a heavy case. The room was noisy, with people clomping up and down the stairs and odd noises during the night.

In terms of the staff, the trainee receptionist had very poor English. She couldn't write my name correctly even after spelling it for her and couldn't understand what we meant by extra pillows at first. There was no extra service you may expect from a decent hotel - for example, when someone is obviously pregnant, it's nice to ask if there is anything to make their stay more comfortable. It's polite to ask if people had a good stay when they check out.

Room Tip: If they suggest changing you to this hotel, just stay no.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Though presented at booking.com as a fully fledged hotel this is misleading.
Another period building they tried to turn into a cashcow...by calling it a hotel and charging £216 for the night!
No lift they put me on the 4th floor!! First in a single as large as a dog kennel!
Stayed in an ok double for the night.The "hotel " has an entrance which is a long corridor with a reception desk that is more a prisoncell in which aboared and tired receptionist served a 12 hour shift ....no amenitie just some rooms and that for a ridiculous price.Stay away for this money you can get a real hotel too!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This is the 3rd time i've stayed at this hotel and will stay again next year. The location is great, just a few minutes from Marble Arch, good value as breakfast is included which is a bonus in London. Our room this time was at the back of the hotel on the 2nd floor, good size room and bathroom - i requested to not be at the front as last October we stayed at the front and the room was small and we had noise from the street, so i'm pleased they listened to my request. All in all it's good value for central London and we'll be back next year!

Room Tip: Not at the front
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma L
Warwick NY
Reviewed 23 July 2013

after reading some of the negative reviews, I was a bit apprehensive about my stay, but was pleasantly surprised. I checked in at the address listed, and was given a room on the ground floor in that building. The room was quite small, but despite my two suitcases, I had no issues moving round the room. The bed was very comfortable; I have trouble sleeping in hotel beds most of the time but such was not the case here. The room rate I had did not include breakfast, but Patisserie Valerie is down the street and the Tyburn Pub is on Edgeware Road. Would like to see a little more light in the bathroom especially over the mirror. The staff were very helpful and accommodating. I would stay here again..

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo