“Good Location & Hotel”

Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch
Ranked #802 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I booked this hotel for a business trip last minute via booking.com. The book was good, it is a good size, had free fruit, nice bathroom, nice sink in the room with fridge etc. The bed was very comfortable and the staff very welcoming. Bad points, the internet was a bit hit and miss, there is no lift so you have walk up the stairs (they do carry your suitcases so no worries there) and this is a converted house so the stairs are a bit loud when people go up and down in the night. Key question - yes I would certainly stay again if they gave me room 10.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear SforSani,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share a review on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased that your over all impression of the hotel remains a positive one, despite the issues you experienced with the Internet; Rest assured that I will follow up on this internally to avoid any future issues. When you next decide to visit us, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, and it would be my pleasure to ensure you will be provided with room 10 again!

There are newer reviews for Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch

Reviewed 7 May 2014

They may advertise a manned reception but this is nothing more than a night porter style operation. To check in you are required to walk at least another 100m down the road, they take full payment upfront (which I haven't got a problem with) then require you to collect your receipt the following morning in a different building from the one you are staying in.

Well appointed room but it was so close to reception (<4m) that there was a constant disturbance at least up until midnight.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Mark C,

I am very sorry that your stay at the Shaftesbury Accommodation Suites did not live up to your expectations. Indeed, as these are rooms only, our shared guest facilities are a few houses down the road, and I can fully understand if this is an inconvenience, to which I unfortunately do not have a solution. Nevertheless I thankyou for having taken the time to share your feedback online, and I do hope you will be willing to give us another try in the future; should you wish to do so, please do feel free to contact me directly, and I would personally ensure that you will be provided with the level of service and product that I know we are capable of delivering.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed 3 days while travelling for business. Stay away from this place.

At arrival, staff initially charged my debit card - and then once the payment went through they said they made a mistake, that "the system does not accept debit card" and asked me to do the payment again, with another card. Staff was extremely rude and unfriendly.

There is no proper reception, just a corridor with one chair and not enough space for 2 people to cross. There is no elevator even though my colleagues room was on the 4th floor.

Room is clean, but very small and clearly not worth the price paid.

On final day, after checking out, I got an invoice to recap my stay. Then 1 week later I realized that they charged me additional amounts on my credit card, amounts that were not disclosed on the invoice. Needless to say I was never notified of these amounts so I have no idea what they relate to. Contacted staff by email and never got any answer.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nectan

Dear Nectanchose,

I am very sorry that your recent stay at the Shaftesbury Suites did not live up to your expectations in terms of staff, service, and our physical product. I would cherish the opportunity to discuss this with you in person, and have sent you a private message accoridngly. I also hope we can thereby resolve the payment query issue. I hope to hear from you soon, and in the meantime remain entirely at your disposal.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

For a city visit, the Shaftesbury is well located near the Marble Arch. We were upgraded to a sister property next door, the Montcalm. The room was comfortable and the staff was very friendly. Wifi was free. I don't know what the original property was like so can't comment. I thought the room cost was reasonable based on London rates especially for a location in the City center.

Room Tip: Our room, 901 was actually in the basement. This may sound dreadful, but it wasn't. It was like...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Ehad2,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor, and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the room in the end. I hope that the next time you will travel to London, you will also consider us a your first choice destination.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Got to shaftesbury marble arch paid £16 to park then went to check in and got told they had made a mistake and their were no rooms left, they then told us we were being moved to shaftesbury metropolis with complimentary breakfast and upgraded from duluxe to club room...i thought sweet :-) got to metropolis and i was askd to pay £20 to park... i refused, then went to our "upgraded room"...it was tiny with very poor lighting and a bed that was dipped very badly in the middle. I am so disapointed with this hotel and when i went to speak to reception they said someone will phone me asap and nobody ever did. I booked as a part of my partners birthday suprise weekend and it was ruined with such a shambles of a so called hotel. We fot let down by shaftesbury marble arch then let down by shaftesbury metropolis, shambles!!!I really do wish i had seen the reviews before i booked because i wouldnt have booked it. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!! Location was good that is all. So disapointed!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank Danielsmithy
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Don't. Don't. As long as we patronise places like this they will continue to rip off the unwary and give a bad image of London to visitors. It is in a good location. And the rooms are fine if a bit bling. I stayed because I had a dinner nearby. They had made an 'error' in the booking and in arrival I was told I'd be sent to one of their sister hotels. Given that that reason I'd booked was because it was 5 mins from my dinner I insisted. And a room materialised. The room was up 3 flights of narrow stairs - with no lift. And I was informed that there was no on suite catering ...so I walk to a different hotel for breakfast.....in late November. This is not a a 2 star Kings Cross place...it's allegedly a 5 star Hotel ....with prices to match...£180 with no breakfast included. I would strongly advise you look elsewhere for better value and a proper Hotel. Poor staff who were pleasant if valiant in their efforts to communicate their '5 star' offer.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Like many other reviewers, I had booked to stay at the marble arch by Montcalm, which advertises itself as a five star, boutique spa hotel. I had therefore gone into this stay expecting a five star experience, but ours fell well short once we were transferred to the Shaftesbury suites.

The location is great, but you are paying a premium for that anyway. The rooms are nicely decorated, but in reality you would expect that; we were upgraded to a club room as compensation, and whilst we understood the room was bigger (we had room 8) I've stayed in other London hotels with a similar size room and the bed was a smallish double. We personally found the bed and pillows hideously uncomfortable but that can be a personal choice.

Whilst there was no major issues, we did have an extensive list of niggles:
The curtains were not put on the rail properly. The only way to close them was to either climb over the sofa or move it, and on the second night they came off the rail completely and my husband had to stand on the windowsill to reassemble it
Some of the lights decided not to work sometimes
There was no extra touches. No cups in the bathroom, no extra blankets or pillows, no free bottle of water, no little touches of luxury that you do hope for in a five star hotel (and in fact I've had much better in lower graded hotels)
We had booked a hotel with a spa and restaurant. There wasn't, not even a bar or lounge area.
The bathroom was a bit odd. The window was completely see through to the road, although there was a blind. The wood was starting to rot as the shower head sprayed straight onto the wooden window frame. The mirror and sink were both too high for me.
The wardrobe and bathroom both had a distinctly musty smell and there was dusty patches on the sills. There was cleaning going on, as bags of rubbish were left outside our room.
There was an ironing board (good), but it was very easy to trap your fingers in it.
There is no lift - and the loud creaky stairs were narrow making it a bit unsafe with a heavy case. The room was noisy, with people clomping up and down the stairs and odd noises during the night.

In terms of the staff, the trainee receptionist had very poor English. She couldn't write my name correctly even after spelling it for her and couldn't understand what we meant by extra pillows at first. There was no extra service you may expect from a decent hotel - for example, when someone is obviously pregnant, it's nice to ask if there is anything to make their stay more comfortable. It's polite to ask if people had a good stay when they check out.

Room Tip: If they suggest changing you to this hotel, just stay no.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple