“Big room, great location!”

Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch
Ranked #773 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
“Big room, great location!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We were staying in this hotel for night, our room was at no.10
The hotel is a small hotel, u will be welcome with 1 bell boy and a small reception desk, but both of them are very friendly.
There is no lift in this hotel, but no worries, the bell boy will help you with your baggage.
The room it self is big, compare to another hotel that i stayed in London, the bathroom is also big. The room is equipped with microwave and also a sink, and a complete dining set for two people.
This hotel located 10 min walk to the oxford street, baker street, and Hyde park. The nearest tube station will be Marble Arch.
There is no restaurant near the hotel, but if you walk a little bit to baker street, you may find various type of restaurant

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Beryl A,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share this review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that the service provided by our team and the physical product met your expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future, and in the meantime, wish you well.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I booked this last minute, i.e. the morning of our arrival !

We were out all day on a river cruise and when we got to this place and to reception, the receptionist informed us that this hotel was fully booked and she was therefore sending us to Paddington, a 4 * hotel and with a free taxi ride. We were astonished as, when I had booked this hotel, there had been space literally hours earlier. We protested vigorously that we did not want to move to Paddington : this was a birthday treat for my boyfriend and I had picked this hotel because of its brilliant locality near Marble Arch ! She made a few telephone calls and “miraculously” found us a room.

To be fair to the staff, they were very courteous and very friendly. We even heard another couple come behind us and get the same story about Paddington. She said that apparently their computer system hadn't been shut down the night before so rooms were showing as available when they were not – but she found us two rooms (the first room she took us to had a leaking air conditioning noisy unit).

The room – ROOM 7 - did turn out to be pretty nice – smallish – but very trendily furnished, clean, modern and the ensuite was fab – black and silver. No expensive has been spared with these rooms it looks like. There was even a roll down cupboard in the room housing a sink and tap, a microwave, plates, cutlery, tea and coffee making facilities, a mini bar/refrigerator and snacks to buy (very very expensive!).

The bed felt expensive and luxurious and high! I nearly needed a stepladder just to get in and out of bed (only joking) and they used very good quality pillows and bedding – very very very clean !

This room has lots and lots and lots of storage space and cupboards and a big wardrobe where the ironing board and safe are.

We even had a small leather arm chair and coffee table in the room. It has kept the original features (maybe Victorian) but has been tastefully modernised but keeping as many old features as possible.

There were free toiletries and soap in the bathroom but I ended up buying my own – they have used very cheap, fragrance-less toiletries and even the shampoo and shower gel do not “froth up” – it was like having a shower with a small bottle water so beware : best to bring your own or buy some from Boots down Oxford Street. Apart from that, the ensuite was small but adequate for one night – I couldn’t use it for a few days as too small really.

The big drawback with this room is that it is directly at reception so you hear all the “traffic” and phone calls and chatting at reception all night (its 24 hours) so beware if you are after a quiet break.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL for a fabulous location, fabulous room, pick a room upstairs and they even kept our luggage the next day for hours while we went shopping in Oxford Circus – a blooming godsend !!!

Room Tip: Do NOT pick Room 7 if you want peace and quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear madmichyLondon,

Thank you very much for having shared this detailed and constructive review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. I am thrilled that our receptionist was able to accommodate you in the end, despite the initial concern about lack of availability due to our systems glitch, and that your over all impression of the Shaftesbury Suites remains a positive one. I am very glad you liked the layout and design of the room as well, and that any noise heard due to it being on the ground floor did not detract you from enjoying the space itself.
Thank you also for your feedback about our toiletries; this has not been brought to my attention before, however, rest assured that I will be monitoring this in the future to see if any changes to our product are required.

I hope that you will visit us again on your next trip to London and that I will have the chance to meet you in person when you do so. Should you require any help at all with the making of future bookings, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Chippenham
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Moved to this hotel due to mix up with my original booking. Happy with the move, the location is good and the room was more than adequate. Breakfast is at a sister hotel a few minutes down the road which was fine. Reasonable value and a good location are its strengths.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Janzell,

Thank you for having taken the time to share this review; I am delighted that your expectations were met during your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.

El Tarter, Andorra
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I spent just over a week staying at the Shaftesbury Suites London, Marble Arch, I wanted to stay close to the medical district of London due to having an operation. I was looking for somewhere close so that post op procedures would be easy and I would be able to relax and recover without stressing about travel to another location as I am not from the UK.

Initially, on entering reception, I was disappointed due to the poor furnishings, the carpeting is quite shabby & the paint on the walls behind the reception desk is peeling, the entire area has a feeling of neglect. I thought, ´Great, I´ve booked myself into a dump´, this opinion was further reinforced by finding out there isn´t an elevator and I was on the fourth floor.... Egads.... I don´t recall this being mentioned on the website, even if I wasn´t having spinal surgery, I don´t want to walk up miles of stairs....

I went up to my room (puffing by the time I arrived) however, I was happily surprised as it was large, really lovely, clean, light and airy with well appointed furnishings, I was so pleased after my initial impression on entering reception.

I mentioned to the staff, I was in London for spinal surgery, as soon as they understood my situation they did everything they could to help me, they were very understanding & extremely helpful & by the next morning I was placed on the first floor (still one set of stairs) which is the first level accomodation they have.

The staff had a good sense of humour and are always happy to chat, they went out of their way to hail cabs and be of general service, they seemed affronted if you didn´t let them carry your bags to and from your room.

I would definitely stay here again due to the friendly service and comfort of the rooms, the only downside to the hotel that I can think of is the dismal state of reception and the lack of any sort of dining facilities. I do have one more complaint that may seem really trivial but to me is of huge importance, the pillows are horrible, they are like bricks... The bed is excellent as is the linen, however, all this is let down by the pillows which would give bricks a run for their money.... Seriously, take your own pillows...

Cheers and good holidays....

Room Tip: Great rooms, not too noisy when the windows are shut but take into account you are in a very busy di...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear FoxDylan,

Thank you very much for having shared your experiences online following your recent stay with us in the Shaftesbury Suites. I am absolutely delighted that despite your first impression, our Team's personalised service was able to turn it around and provide you with a positive experience in the end.
With regards to the pillows, thank you for highlighting this. We do have a range of pillows on offer that will suit all different needs of our guests, and I am very sorry if this was not proactively highlighted to you.
On a more positive note, I hope that your recovery process has been going well, and simultaneously hope that on your next stay with us you will be able to enjoy a more relaxed stay without any health concerns, so that you will have the chance to explore the best of what London has to offer!

I hope to be able to welcome you back in person one day; should you wish to make any future bookings, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed in Shaftesbury suites for a romantic holiday in London, it is a small hotel but I found the position very strategic, close to the shopping area of Oxford Street. My room was very clean thanks to the housekeepig girl Katy very professional. Also the receptionist girl Mrs Faiza was very kind and helpful.Top of marks to Kowsar the service porter, everyday always a gentleman for every needs we asked to him, he gaves to us a lot of advice regarding the area and London and made our trip in London a great time of memories!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terenzio C
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Terenzio C,

Thank you so much for this lovely and specific feedback! Rest assured that I will share your wonderful comments with Faiza, Kowsar and Katy; it is always great to see individuals being recognised for their hard work. I am ever so pleased that they, together with the rest of the team, were able to turn your stay into something special, and that you feel comfortable recommending us. Should your travels next take you to London, please feel free to contact me directly, and it would be my pleasure to assist in any way possible.

Accra
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

I would go back here again, they had super fast unlimited internet and I liked our room that was decent size (25 sq m) compared to average London hotel rooms. It had a bathroom away from the bed and separated by a internal corridor. This was super cool! The bed was comfortable and the room smelled clean. Choose the even number room if you can, as the rooms opposite are much smaller and their bathrooms are tiny. One thing that needs improvement here is bathroom lights, really poor for women. Lack of convenient charge points is another issue shared by almost all hotels.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sister-karamazov
Dear sister-karamazov,

Thank you very much for having shared this lovely review on Tripadvisor, and I am delighted your over all impression of the Shaftesbury Suites remains a positive one. Thank you also for highlighting the charger points and the lack of lighting in the bathroom; rest assured that I will follow up on this internally to make our future guests' stays more comfortable. When your travels next take you to London, please feel free to contact me directly, and it would be my pleasure to assist in any way possible.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Booked to stay here a few weeks ago due to the location of the property. My friend and I needed to be out of the hotel for 7.30am to walk to our destination the next morning. When we arrived to check in we were quickly told that they had made a mistake with the booking and their website wasn't working properly. The 'receptionist' told us that we would be transferred to another hotel 5 minutes taxi journey away. To begin with we did not want to go further away as we had specifically chosen this particular hotel for it's central location and not having to worry about getting taxis in rush hour. However, we soon realised that we weren't getting anywhere with the receptionist and agreed to be taken to the other hotel. The taxi came and we explained the situation to be informed that even when the road was quiet it would take us at least 30 minutes. Our 5 minute journey took us a total of 55 minutes!!! The only good thing I have to say is that after a hard battle, they agreed to organise and pay for a taxi to our destination the next morning however, this shouldn't have had to happen in the first place! I strongly recommend that you stay away!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kate L
Dear Kate L,

I am terribly sorry that due to the booking error we were not able to accommodate you in the Shaftesbury Suites; naturally I understand the inconvenience and distress caused due to this last minute change, and for this please allow me to apologise. I have sent you a private message in the hope of discussing in person, and I greatly look forward to hearing from you.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these London hotels