“We're coming back for afternoon tea”

Banyan on the Thames
Ranked #6,682 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$12 - US$38
Cuisines: European, British, International, Grill
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Set inside London's most exclusive eco-friendly hotel, Rafael on the Left Bank, Banyan on the Thames is a chic restaurant overlooking the river and the London Helipad in Battersea. With so much action right outside its sound-proofed windows, this is a fantastic place to watch the world go by. And super-tanned sun-lovers adore the riverside roof terrace for summertime dining. The Hotel Rafayel is popular with an international, glamorous yet ecologically-sensitive set of travellers, and the Banyan on Thames is open to serve them ��� and you - breakfast, lunch and dinner. The menu is a melange of European, Asian and Mediterranean flavours, fusion cuisine at its finest. Favourite dishes here include the duck confit in a ginger and lime sweet and sour sauce; the mango and papaya salad with curry chicken; and the Barcelona traditional fish soup. Banyan on the Thames makes the most of the peace and tranquillity of its ideal riverside location.
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“We're coming back for afternoon tea”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

On Saturday May 17th my wife and I went for afternoon tea and were absolutely delighted with almost everything. We started with a glass of excellent champagne, followed by a selection of sandwiches. The bread was nice and fresh, but a preference would have been for one of the four being smoked salmon and not plain salmon.
This was followed by marshmallows and strawberries that could be dipped into a hot chocolate sauce, something that was a first for afternoon teas experienced at other venues, and scrummy!!! Two scones each, one plain & one fruit, but we only managed the fruit ones in order to save space for the other cakes that were on offer.
Looking out onto the Thames and the Heliport makes this a different type of venue for afternoon tea.

• Visited May 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Great all round experience”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have visited Banyan on the Thames a number of times now and it never fails to disappoint!
For starters, the view of the Thames from the restaurant is fantastic. Combine this with one of the superb cocktails from the bar and you are already off to a good start.

The menu is very varied (maybe to the point of confusion?) but it means that there is most definately something for everyone. I have always had the Indian/Thai dishes and they have always been perfectly cooked. The service is attentive and knowledgable and they are happy to cater to dietary requirements where possible.

Finally, the fact that those staying at the hotel receive 50% off food is a big bonus as it really does feel like you are dining somewhere special.

• Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Let down by service”
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

The one positive of this restaurant is the food. I had the lobster ravioli and the lamb both were fantastic.

The negative:

I brought a travelzoo voucher for my boyfriends birthday and rang before I purchased it to check they had availability, once purchased I rang back to provide the voucher code and was told there was no booking for me, then on the day of my visit I rang to confirm my booking and once again was told there was no booking!

Upon arrival I mentioned the voucher to the 'manager' and was told I had to email it to him, he also mentioned how much I'd paid to my boyfriend which I thought was a little insensitive as he could clearly see it was a special occasion.

Service throughout was awful, the manager serving us barely said two words during the visit. The one female waitress that took out main courses asked if the food was ok but our main waiter did not seem bothered with us.

The voucher included a champagne cocktail each, but as I was not drinking I ordered a soft drink thinking my boyfriend could have both cocktails, when the bill arrived we were charged for the second cocktail. I challenged the manager on this and he said the voucher entitled us to a cocktail or a soft drink, so my soda and lime technically cost me £10!!

1 Thank Zoeandjameshols
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A little let down”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The food was good and the service very good, for the price my expectations were quite high and the quality of the food did not meet them.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Paul H H
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great, I would visit again.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Amazing service and food. I would go again. They do an amazing burger and chips. Prices are great too.

• Visited May 2014

Been to Banyan on the Thames? Share your experiences!