“Great Indian food”

Price range: US$5 - US$16
Cuisines: Indian, Healthy
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Description: We Sagar chain of Restaurants in London for the past sixteen years.Our chefs are from Udupi, a small town in the coastal region of the Western Ghats, about 360km from Bangalore in karnataka. At a famous temple there is an idol of Lord Krishna richly adorned in jewels. The town is a knowledged centre for authentic South Indian Cuisine. Udupi chefs are renowned for the cooking of the traditional South Indian Vegetarian food. Sagar is a Restaurant that is recognised as a breaking new ground in the presentation of South Indian Vegetarian dishes, including some which are new to this country. Also we are specialized in cooking vegan, onion and garlic free food.
Reviewed 5 October 2016

I had dinner at Sagar a couple of weeks ago and I was happy to be able to explore its menu: it's a kind of Indian food I am/was unfamiliar with! The "lentils' pizza" made me curious, and I loved it! Next time I'll be in the area I will do my best to go back there!

Reviewed 2 October 2016

I've visited this and their Covent Garden restaurant a few times before.

On this occasion I had the vegan thali. Service was fast and the food was fantastic. For vegans or any special diets/ allergies etc the staff are extremely knowledgeable and are able to advise on the content of all dishes.

This is a genuinely good restaurant in an area littered with big name chains.

Reviewed 30 September 2016

This is quite a pricey Vegan restaurant just off Tottenham Court Road. It looks like a cafe from outside with the uncovered tables and light decor. Service and welcome were very good. So here I am a carnivore in a Vegan/ Vegetarian restaurant....but I have been to such places and could give them five points (pre TripAdvisor) but I couldn't here. The price / value didn't quite get there. Maybe very simply I don't like Dosa very much. As a quirky recommendation though, why not try a huge ' paper Dosa' very thin but about a metre long.... has to be shared although the waiter said suitable for one which was clearly ridiculous.

Reviewed 29 September 2016

I highly recommend Sagar for delicious South Indian cuisine! My husband and I stumbled on this restaurant while visiting London. It became our “go to” restaurant throughout our stay. We went there a number of times during a fairly short stay. A friend of mine recently left for London, I told her that she had to try this restaurant.

Sagar is a delicious vegetarian South Indian restaurant. Its food is incredibly flavorful and creative. The menu offers a large selection of dishes without being overwhelming. It also has vegan, wheat free, onion & garlic free, and nut free dishes. The plating for some of the dishes was stunning. We went to another popular North Indian restaurant in Covent Garden and the food there did not begin to compare to Sagar’s dishes.

Sagar’s staff was friendly, knowledgeable about the dishes, and attentive. When we returned even for the second time, the staff welcomed us as if we were regulars. Each visit, they gave us different food recommendations so that we could develop a better understanding of their menu. I don’t think that you can go wrong there. However, the dosas were our favorite. Yummy!!

Also, I should note that I am a vegetarian. However, my husband is not. We both loved our dishes. We also brought another friend there who eats meat and she raved about her food. Therefore, I think that everyone can find something tasty here. Sagar has a number of restaurants throughout London. So, you should be able to find one fairly easily. I highly recommend it!

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

We visited this restaurant twice in our trip of 7 days along with my mother who is a wheelchair bound. The staff was very prompt in helping the wheelchair get into the restaurant.
As we had our 1st meal of London (coming from UK) we did compare the taste to Indian food. Doing that we compared to the Indian food from India. We couldn't find much of s difference.
The menu is quite selective best.
Highly recommended and a must eat in London.

Date of visit: August 2016