“Oh, he showed up but.... He was drunk!”

Photo Walks of London
Ranked #243 of 710 Tours in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Photo Walks of London does what it says it does.PHOTOGRAPHY - Learn about your camera functions & photographic techniques.WALKS - A fun way to learn, Whilst walking around the best spots in LONDON. Great photographs of your trip to the city and onwards.SUITABLE FOR - all camera types (including iPhone) and all abilities,
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Having read the other reviews left by customers stating he was a 'no show', I would have preferred that to what I experienced. I had a voucher bought for me by a friend who accompanied me and my sister to London so I could attend the tour. We duly turned up on the day and time stated (emails getting to this stage were sketchy but at least I was able to arrange a day and time).

So we waited for about 10 minutes outside Tower Hill station. I called the number I was given but there was no answer. Eventually, my friend alerted me to a man walking up to us dressed in a scruffy black polo shirt with a logo bearing the name 'photo walks of London'. Ah, great, I thought - we are in the right place. Despite his appearance, I asked him what the plan was for the next 2 hours or so. He was very ambivalent about the structure of the day and said we could do what ever I wanted. It was during this conversation that I noticed he was slurring his words, frothing at the mouth, swaying and staring at my chest - uggh! He stank of alcohol. Following a private conversation with my friend and sister (just out of earshot from him) I decided that the risk was too great for me to accompany him on my own - there were no others for the tour. When I challenged him on his drunken state, he replied with "well, don't let that spoil things" [quote] and proceeded to smoke a hand rolled cigarette! I couldn't believe my ears or eyes! Quite disgusting! It even crossed my mind that he may have been some sort of imposter! But he wasn't.

I find it interesting to read that some people have had a positive experience but this was one that I do not want to ever ever experience again. Needless to say, my friend is attempting to get her money back. I would not recommend this company ever.

4  Thank OhBrownOne
There are newer reviews for Photo Walks of London

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I highly recommend this tour for anyone travelling to london with any level of interest in photography.
I booked at very short notice which wasn't an issue for Ian. He was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I also learnt a lot about london through our discussions as we walked from location to location. It felt like a guided tour by foot!
I am so very pleased with the photos I captured and can't wait to start sharing them and showing them off to my friends.
Thanks Ian! If you're ever in South Australia, give me a call - I'd love to go on a night walk around my home town!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Met up with Ian outside Canada Water Station and went on an interesting tour of Rotherhithe and Bermondsey, covering a fair bit of American and British history such as The Mayflower, the Fighting Temeraire, Brunel and Dickens! On the photography side, it was not quite what I expected but so much better for it. I had thought it would be mostly wandering around London getting shown good places to take pictures of the sights. But most of the time was spent learning how to use the camera in manual mode, taking photographs of whatever we happened across, from street signs, to ducklings, to flowers. This was what made it great for me, I know a little about photography, but being forced to play around with ISO, aperture, shutter speed, white balance etc really built up my confidence and understanding. Ian also had an uncanny ability to take the camera from me and within seconds take a much better photograph of the same thing from an angle I never thought of, with much better exposure and white balance! In summary this is great value for money for any novice/enthusiast wanting to learn how use their camera out with the auto settings and get a few snaps of London, some history, and friendly banter along the way...

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I bought a london pass and saw the offer for the photo walk. After a short conversation via mail i booked a tour of the beaten track. Ian was right on time and we started to a great tour trough london. I´m an engaged photographer but Ian gave me a lot of tips how to handle my camera. We made a 3 and a half hours walk with a lot of informations not only for photos but also for having fun in london.
For me this trip was worth every pound and i would recomend this walk to everyone who wants to get great pictures of london.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Money and time well spent. 3 hours walking around some of the iconic landmarks of London learning tips and features of my camera that I didn't know or understand previously. I'm still by no means an expert, but I have begun to put what I have learned into practice in full Manual and I'm already seeing results. Thanks a lot Ian.
Dan.