“Simply horrible hotel ..”

Simply Rooms & Suites
Ranked #612 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I stayed for the week in this hotel that many people described it as "good and well located"; being quite new in London I didn't expect "west kensington" area to be a dodgy one.. Some "guys" in the street were standing in a corner doing nothing which is not very relaxing when you are a young lady on your own...
Luckily I arrived to the hotel in one piece but it toojk me ages to find the address.. It's not that close to the tube station as some of the reviewed mentioned below.
At the moment I stepped in the hotel I asked the receptionist to cancel my reservation so I can find a more decent or at least go back to NH Kensington hotel where I usually stay. The main reason why I didn't even to check in the room is that I did'nt feel safe at all during these 15 mns walk from the tube station.
Sadly the receptionist refused to cancel my reservation as it was already paid so I didn't really have the choice.........
Secondly being a young lady I was expecting someone or the receptionist to take my luggage to the floor where my room is, she just said that they don't do these kind of services so I had to do it myself.. 3 floors later I arrived at the destination sweating and tired. My disappointment just grew up more by looking at the size of the room , the bathroom and the overheating in the whole hotel. It was like being in a sauna, even though I turned off the heating and opened the window.
I woke up late at night ( heating turned off) sweating and was convinced that there should be a mini-bar or bottle of water available.. Of course there was none and had to ask 2 or 3 times before someone brought a 25 cl water bottle in the morning.
To survive my friend and I had to drink the "boiling" water from the mini-sink as even the wtaer cold was not available :(
Anyway, if you are looking for a decent place .. avoid this Simply overheated-shoe box!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bluemarley7

Reviewed 3 February 2013

I booked this hotel through booking.com and reviewed the website. Both descriptions were nothing like the hotel actually was. Located in a suburb of london, 40 minutes away by tube from central london and an unpleasant 10 minute walk from the nearest tube station. My room was on the top floor, the website said that though there is no elevator the staff will help bring your luggage to the room - there was no such occurrence. The staf, in fact, was not accommodating and rather lazy, every request was met with "sorry sir" since nothing was possible to be done. Not receive more than the measly 4 hangers, have my bags brought up to the room or many other such requests, usually immediately answered at decent places. The room, described as an "executive suite" was puny. tiny. smaller than a keyhole. (Executive suite? LIE!) I couldn't enter the bath-cell (no, it is correct - the bathroom was the size of a highschool locker) without closing the closet door, and the door to the room could not open fully since it would meet the bed at the halfway mark. the bedsheets were something of a nightmare, itchy and hard - nothing I would wish anyone to ever experience. The tube station which some here describe as "near-by" is nothing of the sort, especially when you arrive with luggage, in the rain, it is very far and the hotel is difficult to locate upon initial arrival by foot. At night this suburb is swamped with marijuana smoking teenagers and the smell penetrates the room as well - horrible.This by far is the most grotesque, unaccommodating, deceitful hotel I have ever been too. Every second I spent in it was torture, should be converted to a prison - it is that much of an abomination.
I booked it for 6 nights, but couldn't bare to stay beyond 3, as I wanted to scratch my skin off with disgust. I packed myself on the third night and checked out as soon as first morning rays were visible through the neighbourhood's marijuana smoke. I stayed the remainder of my trip at the Radisson Blue near Bond st. station, which was wonderful, but even that couldn't make up for my suffering in that hell-hole in south kensington.
Don't ever stay there, you will hate yourself if you do.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank theknowledgeable
H_Bhimji, General Manager at Simply Rooms & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post review on Trip advisor, I have noted your feedback in detail and shared it with the relevant Department Heads to initiate corrective measures. I assure you greater care will be taken on your future visits with us.
With regards to assistance with room allocation, on request we do allocate our guest on lower floors if rooms are available. We have standard size of bathroom in all the rooms, of course the facilities differ upon the room categories, however, please may I request you to treat this incident in isolation and let it not mar the impression of the hotel, as it is our earnest endeavour to provide you with the highest level of service and to ensure that your stay with us is most comfortable. Do let me know when you plan to visit us next, as I will be delighted to look after all aspects of your stay personally.
We value your feedback, as it is feedback from esteemed guests like yourself, which assist us to review our systems and procedures in striving for better service.
For further assistance you may email : Stay@simplyroomsandsuites.co.uk

Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed here just after New Year and wanted somewhere reasonably near to the Royal Albert Hall.

This offered all the basics at a very reasonable price (considering not far from Kensington). Think we even benefited from free upgrade to a suite, although wasn't mentioned when we checked in.

Quiet neighbourhood, not far from Kensington Olympia station. Would certainly consider staying here again.

Room Tip: We had ground-floor front Suite
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2012

The hotel is in a quiet residential part of South Kensington. Please heed the advice of the other writers regarding the lack of an elevator. Elderly or physically challenged people should not stay at this hotel as there are several flights of steep stairs. The rooms were very tidy and comfortable. They were very well accessorized and the location of the hotel was really great. There was a small problem with the heating. In my colleague’s room (16) the heat did not work. Despite raising the issue twice, nothing was done. In my room (15) the heat was too hot and could not be adjusted downwards. The internet went down for about 12 hours but the staff was very good about keeping us informed as to the progress of repairs. The bed was very comfortable and the rooms kept clean. The shower worked well and the rooms had a kettle and small refrigerator which were very convenient. The feeling was like having your own little studio apartment in London. We would like to make special mention of the young man ( I suspect he was from a Nordic county) who worked evenings during the week. He could not have been more responsive or helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MitchellKW
H_Bhimji, General Manager at Simply Rooms & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your experience at Simply rooms and suites.

I am happy to note that you had a pleasant stay with us and have left with a positive impression of the hotel and its services.Apologies for the inconvenience caused due to heating and that it wasn't followed by us, we request you to give us another opportunity to welcome you back and I will personally make sure you enjoy a comfortable stay at our hotel. Thank you for your kind words towards our staff and services it is indeed a great motivation for them.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

We stayed here for 4 days in October. Great location conveniently located near tube. Tube is about a 5 minute walk. Quiet location. Since it's a small hotel, it's located amongst flats in a residential neighborhood. It was really great to be actually staying amongst Londoners who were just going about their daily lives! Rooms are small, but we expected that in a London location. Very clean. It's the staff that truly make this a memorable place to stay. Ms. Patel is amazingly nice and helpful. She was always willing to help us figure out how to get to different locations and helpe us book a day trip to Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Bath, which I highly recommend. The other 2 young men who work there are also very nice and helpful. I have recommended this place to friends and business acquaintances and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
H_Bhimji, General Manager at Simply Rooms & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting you feedback on Trip Advisor.
I am pleased to note that you had a memorable stay at Simply rooms and suites.Thank you for your kind words of appreciation.It is feedback from esteemed guest like you,which motivates he entire team to strive towards excellence.
My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to London on your next visit assuring you of our best services at all times.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

First impressions outside were not particularly auspicious which was a shame as the interior was well decorated and absolutely spotless. Rooms a little cramped but the beds were so comfortable. Everything one could need was provided in the room. Staff were very helpful and courteous . Very good value for money for a London stay.

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in October.
We checked out and was on our way to Cheltenham to visit a friend.
When we left Cheltenham and on our way to Heathrow, my wife realised that she did not have her wallet with her; there was quite a lot of cash, credit cards, and debit cards in the wallet.
We checked our luggage thoroughly and thought the wallet might have dropped onto the floor of Simply Rooms and Suites when we were packing.
We called the hotel and the front desk reception was very very helpful. She promised to checked the room after the guests leave the room, and called us back several times, the calls were international.
After some searching, they found the wallet which has fallen off the bed while we were packing (as we suspected). She got the hotel car to send the wallet to Heathrow to us (we were on our way to Rome that day).
We were very touched and impressed by the service standard of this hotel, and especially that lady at the front desk that day. Many thanks,

Corinne and Mark
Singapore

Room Tip: Hotel is situated in West Kensington, a nice neighbourhood in London. Although a tad small, it was c...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time to review us on Trip Advisor and for posting your generous feedback.
We are delighted to note that you had a memorable stay at Simply rooms and suites.Our team is our strength, and your review is truly very motivating for them.

We look forward welcome you back at Simply Rooms and Suites, to your next visit to London.