“Olympic ripoff”
Review of CityLodge London

CityLodge London
Ranked #306 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We were charged £250 for a tiny, very basic double room for one night in this pretty poor guesthouse. En suite bathroom minimum fixtures and shower basin didn't appear clean. Breakfast awful, laid out in kitchen all the time, croissant so stale, coffee, jams, etc. all lowest quality. Entrance pourch and hallway very shabby. Never before stayed in such an awful place, what a scam during the Olympics charging that rate. It is very convenient to two tube stations.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Elaine W
There are newer reviews for CityLodge London

Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed one night for the Olympics and I chose this guest house based on location and price. I was glad that I had read other reviews on here as I was not expecting the outside to look appealing and I was right. If I had been walking along the road looking for somewhere to stay, I would not have considered this place - it looks almost derelict.
However, inside was clean and comfortable if a little shabby. We had a double room with an extra mattress on the floor and it was a bit cramped but we managed.
The kitchen is a good idea - you can find all you need to make a quick snack or breakfast.
Staff were friendly and helpful.

Not somewhere I would recommend for a weeks holiday, but for somewhere to put your head down for one night it was perfectly adequate and exceptional value whilst the Olympics were on.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DawnDevon_England
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I am from india and I was in london for a family vacation during last sep'11 with my wife and 2 yr old daughter here for a week and too bad i selected this hotel for my trip.the receptionist was highly racist and very discriminatory based on colour. where as every other room in the hotel was cleaned and the bed sheets changed every three days the hotel staff / receptionist incharge didnt care about the rooms we were staying. probably it is only to us. i did see them treating the 'white' guests with all the courtesy that you can expect from a marriott staff.

no. we didnt pay any less than what others paid. during the last week of september we paid 60 pounds a night for eight nights in the hotel which is a rip off. also the twin rooms mentioned in the hotel website is a actually single room where you have to remove ur luggages to open and close the door.

if you are not a white and from a asian country better avoid this or should you plan to stay get ready to be loud in what you want. being polite will not lead you anywhere in this dips*it called hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank khaleel26
Reviewed 28 June 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I stayed at Kings Arm with my mother for one week, and it was a nice experience. For a reasonable price we got a warm, clean double room. It had an ensuite bathroom with a good shower, a comfortable double bed, a chair, tv, a small wardrobe and two small tables. The room was very small, but the staff cleaned it each day and towels and sheets were changed. We asked for one extra pillow and it wasn't a problem at all.
There's a cosy room downstairs with a well furnished kitchen where you can have breakfast, but also cook your own lunch, dinner or snack anytime. Kitchenware, pots, glasses etc weren't always well cleaned because of some careless guests, so I had to clean them before using them.
Black marks: my room wasn't so silent, we could hear people talking in the next room. Since it's a well travelled zone, traffic may disturb some people, but I easily fell asleep each night because I was very tired after walking all day long.
You can reach a DLR station in 1 minute, and Bow Road tube station is 5 minutes walk distant from the guest house, such a plum.
There's a supermarket next to the hotel where you can buy pretty much everything you need, and a laundrette.
Recommended for those who want to save some money but yet not renounce a dignified accomodation.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We (2 adults and a 2 yr old) stayed at the King's Arms in August 2011 and found it to be clean, comfortable, well connected (bus stops, DLR and tube within short walking distances), and the staff, especially Mr Dil, were extremely helpful and friendly. The riots broke out whilst we were there, and Mr Dil went to great lengths to help us feel safe.

Laundry and convenience store right next door, with pubs, cafes, take aways and restaurants a little further down the road.

The facade could do with a lick of (brighter?) paint however -- it belies the excellent condition of the place indoors.

Great value, would recommend it any time. You also get free cereal and fruit.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2012

This was value for money. A great location in terms of buses to the O2 (where we spent quite a few nights), and easy access to the DLR and underground. The staff were welcoming and extremely friendly, providing maps and advice wherever possible, and the room - albeit tiny - was well maintained (we had a window along the street and could barely hear the noise). Not a fancy place by far, but perfect if you just need to sleep there! p.s. bonus points for there being a laundromat and convenience store right next door!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple