“OK but unlikely to return.”
Review of JW Steakhouse

JW Steakhouse
Ranked #417 of 23,993 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$36 - US$86
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had stayed at the Marriott hotel over Xmas and ad an excellent Xmas lunch here so thought we would come back and try a steak meal. My husbands meal lived up to expectations and he was completely satisfied. I ordered the ribs and although the meat was cooked to perfection the sauce was so highly salted you could not taste anything else. When I mentioned this to the waiter saying "the ribs are really good but the sauce is..." the waiter added "very salty" before I finished the sentence!! surely if they already know that they have over salted the sauce they should not serve it!! This restaurant is too expensive (£115 for 2 main courses and a bottle of wine), for 1 person to have a poor dinner.

Morten S, Hotel Manager at JW Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for posting a comment here on TripAdvisor with regards to your recent dining experience at The JW Steakhouse.

I am disappointed to read that while your meat was cooked to your liking, the sauce for your particular dish did not reach expectations. Rest assured I have shared your feedback with our culinary team, who will ensure that this does not occur again in future.

Should you ever decide to return to visit us at The JW Steakhouse, we do hope that we are given the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 May 2014

but not so fancy that a boring American felt out of place when choosing the breakfast buffet or for dinner. The steaks are of the highest quality. The service (just like the rest of the JW) was over the top awesome! I regret that I only ate 4 meals here in a week. I would have been happy having EVERY meal here but had to see the rest of the city too!

Morten S, Hotel Manager at JW Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

It is most pleasing to read that you enjoyed every meal at The JW Steakhouse! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments here on TripAdvisor, it is most appreciated.

The JW Steakhouse team always strives to bring forth a flawless experience for each and every guest that visits the restaurant and I am most pleased to hear that yours was just that.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Sincerest regards,

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Although the restaurant did not have our booking from Bookatable, they were very helpful and seated us with no problems. We also were given complimentary nibbles. Food was excellent with melt in the mouth steaks. Fillet Oscar particularly lovely. Steaks cooked to everyones particular choice. Side dishes are very generous which was pointed out to us on ordering . The cheescake was also huge, basically order one and it is enough for four to share.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

booked easily through their sait a Saturday night. tried the day soup (lobster bisque) that was like a ready made can soup.
as a main course had the 1 kilo rib stake, aged and cooked as requested.The wine list short and expensive.Good service.
Next time would try another steakhouse.

Morten S, Hotel Manager at JW Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for feedback with regards to your recent dining experience at The JW Steakhouse.

Your comments are truly appreciated and I must apologize if you felt that the Lobster Bisque fell short of expectations. I can assure you that all of our menu items are prepared freshly in the JW Steakhouse kitchen, but rest assured, your feedback has been shared with the culinary team.

I am most pleased to hear that you found the service to be of a high standard and we do hope to welcome you again, should you reconsider visiting in future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 26 May 2014

A few friends and I decided to try JW as it has been highly recommended and the reviews could generally not be stronger. Unfortunately for me, it was not such an enjoyable experience.

Our initial greeting was warm, and the layout and presentation of the restaurant was first class. The staff were very good, and catered for our every need. We had a small selection of starters, both the calamari and freshly baked bread were excellent.

However, the most important part, the fillet steak, was a let down for me. After asking for medium rare my steak arrived burnt on the top and medium inside. I was forced to send this back and ask for another to be cooked. The staff were happy to do this, and I was happy to wait. My second steak, although much less chargrilled, was still not enjoyable for me (at this point I would add that this could be personal preference, and others may like this taste) - I thought it was overcooked and my table agreed, although no one else wanted to send their steak back due to the high class nature of this establishment. The chef, to his credit, did come out to explain that the chargrilled effect is what they are going for at JW, but for me tasting that before I taste the meat, is not enjoyable.

Ultimately, I have had far better steak elsewhere. For me not to finish a steak, and for it to have cost me £42, is not normal. The final note to leave a sour taste in my mouth was that when we paid the final bill, there was not a single concession for the steak. I am not expecting it to be taken off the bill, but some sort of compensation would have meant I would happily come back and try this place again, but without even a single drink or desert being offered, I will not be returning.

It is a shame because everything else was excellent.

Morten S, Hotel Manager at JW Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for your detailed review regarding your recent visit to The JW Steakhouse.

It is regrettable to learn that you experienced a challenge with regards to your steaks cooking temperature and the chargrilled flavor. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and I am pleased to read that the chef visited your table to during the course of your dining experience.

Should you decide to revisit us again in the future, please do let us know.

With kind regards,