“fatty steak not worth the price” 1 of 5 bubbles

JW Steakhouse
Ranked #275 of 22,199 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$36 - US$86
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“fatty steak not worth the price”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

poor service food all arrived different times, my steak was ribeye and even though it should have some fat on it i did not expect it to be mostly fat it cost more than the fillet but had a lot less meat than the fillet, now how does that work? they managed to mess up are orders and forgot some sides too.

I am not one to complain, but when you pay these prices you expect service, I have had better food in a lot cheaper restaurant. over rated and over priced.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Mark123abc
Morten S, Hotel Manager at JW Steakhouse, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review here on Trip Advisor with regards to your recent visit to The JW Steakhouse.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your experience as much as you were hoping to.

Please note that I have also sent a message to your inbox, as I would like to hear more as to your less than perfect experience while dining with us.

Kindest regards,

• Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
“did the job!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I was extremely impressed with JW, I hadn't heard of it before but i thought i'd give it a go on recommendation as i couldn't get a table in my usual choice just down the road. Food was staggering quenched every taste bud imaginable! atmosphere was pretty awesome as well, It had a calm feel yet you were always anticipating some excitement to come from somewhere which i thought was pretty cool.

They were a little slow to take our drinks order then take our food order then clean our plates and then offer desert. The only things they did quickly was bring the meals out which of course is great but unsurprisingly they were very quick with the bill! which was a bit pricey but you have to expect that with its location.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Thomas D
Morten S, Hotel Manager at JW Steakhouse, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your dining experience at the JW Steakhouse.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience and do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

With kind regards

London, United Kingdom
“Steak was good, the rest wasn't”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Just some bullets points:
- Waitress was kind but very inexperienced, didn't really know the differences between the cuts, she served our wine and asked us to taste it while we were still drinking our champagne, at the end of the meal she brought us the bill without us requesting it (place was half empty: did she want to get rid of us?)
- another waiter served oven hot bread on a plate without warning us that the plate was scorching hot: I burned my finger (the bread was delicious though)
- a third waiter served us our fillet steaks and forced us to cut it in half in front of him to make sure it was cooked to our liking... never seen anything like this ever!
- crab cake as a starter was lovely; fillet was really good and tender
- sides were a huge disappointment: herb fries and onion rings so greasy we left them almost untouched; roasted vegetables very bland
- overall: way way too expensive for the ambience, quality and service, you can spend almost the same at Bob Bob Ricard where everything is a million times better.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Morten S, Hotel Manager at JW Steakhouse, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Andrea,

I appreciate your feedback based upon your last visit to the JW Steakhouse. It is regrettable that you did no thave an enjoyable experience. I have already responded to a review posted by another member of your party. The JW Steakhouse is known for its high quality; both in terms of service and food quality. Over the years we have established a very loyal following; as can also be seen by the very favorable rating here on Trip Advisor. I am sorry thta you did not get to experience just that during your stay with us.

Should you decide to return to the JW Steakhouse, please do let me know so that I may ensure you have a most enjoyable meal.

Yours Sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
“Shockingly pricey for what you get!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I visited this restaurant last night with a dear old friend and was really looking forward to an enjoyable evening at a supposedly fabulous hotel restaurant in Park Lane, which i expected to be a bit pricey due to it's location however, the service and the quality of food was shocking!

Where to begin;....Our waitress was clueless, not sure whther it's lack of training or just dim? When asked to talk through the steaks on offer, she had no idea of what the meat cuts were, being a steak house, i assumed that knowledge was essential? Once we had painfully ordered, we saw another waiter whizz by another table with a chopping board filled with cuts to describe the meats, what sort of consistency in service is that? Then bread was served to us on a wooden plate, with no warning of it being hot, on which my friend burned his hand. We decided to order a glass of champagne with a bottle of white wine to follow, all of which was bought to the table at the same time, with no pace or grace to the dinner experience. Our medium rare steaks arrived to the table, where we were asked to cut them through the middle there and then to ensure it was cooked to our liking, which they were not, i think the chef should be fully aware how to cook steak to order? Although they gave the option to take one of the steaks back as it was overdone, it would have ruined the flow of dining together. The sides were oily and over cooked to a crisp, (fries, roast vegetables and onion rings, don't ever order them) were so bad we couldn't finish them. After the meal, when our plates were collected, it was clear that we were not happy as we had left so much of the food and not once, did any of the staff ask, 'if everything was ok?', they were fully aware we were unhappy and had chosen not to even make an attempt in offering us anything extra to compensate the shocking meal. We paid the bill as we did not have the energy to start a fight with them that night, all we wanted was good food and a good service in a lovely area and all we got was a poor service, shocking food with a bill nearing 200 pound!? I strongly advise anyone not to go there, spend your money elsewhere as they don't give a damn about their customers. It may sound like a ranting review, but i'm really doing you a favor, DON'T GO!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a review following your most recent visit in JW Steakhouse.

I am deeply sorry to learn that your visit with us did not fulfil your expectations. We strive to provide a warm and genuine service to all of our guests with the highest level of attention to the food we serve. It is therefore disappointing to read about your experience as it is evident we could have done a much better job in this regards. On behalf of the entire JW Steakhouse team, please accept my sincere apologies.

Having been awarded a ranking among the top 5% of over 16,000 restaurants in London based upon the reviews for the Trip Advisor community does speak for itself. We hope to have the opportunity of restoring your confidence in us on a future occasion. Please do let me know if I can ever be of assistance as it would be my pleasure to ensure you are having a great culinary experience.

Yours Sincerely,

Yorktown, Virginia, United States
“Perfect Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

My sister and I took our Mother for her birthday to the restaurant. We had an awesome time! The food, atmosphere, and service was perfect. The steaks were cooked exactly as promised, the sides were incredible and the server went out of her way to make it a special event. The cheesecake to close it out put everything over the top. This restaurant is a must if you want a winner.

1 Thank Jon C