“My sons last dinner” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Forman's

Forman's
Reserve with OpenTable
Forman's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,386 of 22,225 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$13 - US$63
Cuisines: Seafood, British, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, View, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Formans' restaurant is based in the smokehouse of H.Forman & Son, the world's oldest salmon smokers. As well as having a viewing gallery into the smokehouse - a la Willy Wonka - the views out of the restaurant window to the Olympic Park are unrivalled. The food is the finest quality British gastronomy served in an informal setting. The wine list is exclusively English and all-British spirits are served from the bar. Forman's Restaurant has a delightful terrace and outdoor riverside lounge as well as a spectacular 1000sq ft art gallery which can be hired for private events.
Epping, United Kingdom
“My sons last dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

We recently visit on a clients recommendation and having seen it on the news before the Olympic stadium had been built. (yes it has taken me that long to get there) we travelled by train which I'm not sure I would do at night as you have to walk through an industrial estate to get there.
We went for Sunday lunch and it was excellent lots of fish and lots of meat. Beautify presented and just as great to eat. Can highly recommend the treacle pudding and there was a great selection of local London beer. The view is fantastic, looking out at the Olympic Stadium and the canal runs next to it. Service was excellent too.
Definitely go back maybe to try an evening menu.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lesley f

• Greek first
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Wonderful brunch and lunch place next to Olympic Park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is a newish place - the very old established East End Fish smokery business relocated when the Olympic Park was built. When they built the new factory they put in a bar, restaurant and gallery which is available for hire.

If you are into smoked salmon and other smoked fish, fishcakes, eggs, and other sorts of stuff like that then this is the place for you. But they do have meat dishes as well and a full on breakfast. Very high quaility ingredients - they supply to top end supermarkets, many hotels and restaurants. I had delicous smoked haddock fishcake and poached egg, my wife had smoked salmon and poached eggs for a Saturday brunch. Good wine list and excellent bottled cider. You have views over the canal and the Olympic stadium.

You can eat in the resturant or be more casual in the bar. They need slightly more staff, but I think its a bit of a start up and they are probably still getting that right.

Near to Hackney Wick station but plenty of car parking. Don't be put off by the area - it hasn't been fully gentrified yet but has bags of character as a result - a walk along the canal bring you to all sorts of interesting slightly grungy places! And there are some very alternative looking boats on the Lea Valley canal! And why not? We rocked up at a microbrewery a mile down the canal when we had a walk after brunch, had a beer and waked back.

Go soon before it gets too popular!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Mike T
Solihull
“Great Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

I get annoyed at restaurants that over engineer their menus ... 'flambéed on welsh dragons breath, finest unicorn sweetbreads'..that kind of rubbish. It is a delight to find a restaurant that is honest and unpretentious.

This restaurant is located at the side of the canal overlooking the Olympic Stadium. It is In the centre of an industrial park, not where you would normally find a fine quality establishment. There is ample car parking space, so you can drive if you are not sampling alcoholic beverages. I was welcomed as I arrived and told to I could visit the gallery to view the smoke house if I wished. The restaurant itself has contemporary furniture and settings.

The restaurant specialises in British food including wines. The menu is limited to 4 starters, 4 main courses and 4 deserts. Having said this there is something for everyone. As the restaurant is part of a smoke house then one would expect the quality of the smoked fish to be excellent which it is. The syrup pudding desert is served in a syrup tin which is fun but it
does adversely alter the taste.

The service was faultless, prompt without being too speedy. Given the food quality and service I consider the restaurant good value for money. I will certainly be returning.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank WJCSolihull
Cambridge UK
“Great tasting food at very modest prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

My wife and I went to Forman's for Saturday Brunch, after it being recommend by a friend. I initially thought the menu very restricted, with many more br- options than -unch options. So I settled for the full breakfast - bacon, sausage, roast tomatoes, two poached eggs and sourdough toast.

It is no exaggeration to say that this was THE best tasting breakfast I have ever eaten. Everything was perfectly cooked, and everything tasted intense! The poached eggs were done perfectly, the small sausages had a great taste and great texture, and the Emmetts of Peasenhall (subject of a separate review) cured bacon was intensely and deliciously flavoured as I remember. I challenge you to try it and say it's not the best bacon you have ever tasted! My wife had the creamed wild mushrooms on sourdough, and these too were absolutely delicious.

The bill, with soft drinks, was well under £25 for two. You would pay as much or more for a totally indifferent breakfast for two in a chain hotel in third rate town. Whereas here, as well as the food in a very pleasant atmosphere you get a great view of the Olympic stadium and of the fascinating process of the Forman staff curing, smoking and filleting their salmon and other products (if you go during working hours, which includes Saturday mornings).

Just go!

• Visited December 2013
UK
“Strange Location, Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We visited Forman's with family as a weekend treat while in London. I left the selection of the restaurant to my son. He was a little apprehensive as he had not dined here before. We thought we would use public transport to get to the restaurant and found ourselves walking through an industrial estate, after a couple of wrong turns we eventually found it, what a strange location for such a superb restaurant. The restaurant is attached to a salmon smoking factory, which is a quirky attraction.
The layout of the restaurant is peculiar, the bar area is in really large room, yet the dinning tables are located next to the kitchen area in an area a third of the size of the bar area. Wrong way round!
May be I am being a little picky and over critical about the layout, don't let this put you off visiting, what a superb evening our party had. As previous TA's we were very surprised that the only wine on the wine list was English, the waitress was very helpful in assisting us in our selection, even giving us the option of small tasters. We settled for a white and a red which never having drank English wine before we all found surprisingly good. We all selected our courses and waited in anticipation. The menu is limited in choose but the quality and presentation make up for this, including a sponge pudding presented in a Golden syrup tin, tasty.
All in all we had a lovely evening and wonderful food. I get the impression that the management want to keep this place a secret, for a Saturday night is was very quiet only 11 other people dining making a total of 16 diners with our group. How long that will last waits to be seen, I suggest you visit now before Forman's becomes to popular.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank happybagger
LanceF105, Owner at Forman's, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thanks for your fabulous review. The location may appear quite strange now, but next March the Olympic Park opens and there are expected to be 50,000 people in the Park every week. Being on the border of the Park will make us very accessible and a short walk from Stratford station and Westfield - so I would definitely recommend people take your tip.. and get in now before the rest of the world discovers us!