“Excellent food and great service”
Review of Trullo

Trullo
Ranked #1,079 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Restaurant opened this week
Reviewed 20 May 2014

On a rare idyllic English summer evening we ate an equally pleasing meal. We skipped starters and I went for the whole mackerel with beetroot, roast shallots and pistachio sauce. The fish was perfectly cooked and worked well with the beetroot and pistachio sauce. My daughter had the Black Hampshire pork chop which was the most tender pork I have ever tasted. You may have guessed that we were badly behaved and swapped forks of food. No swapping required for the dessert as we both had the Amalfi lemon tart. This was sublime with melting buttery pastry and tingling lemon.
The staff were without exception, friendly and welcoming. Service excellent. We had a two hour slot to eat and wondered if we would feel rushed but this wasn't the case at all.

There are newer reviews for Trullo

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This restaurant came with great reviews from friends, saying it was super trendy and foodie, if not a little expensive, so I was excited to try it out.

Sadly I was a little disappointed by both the food and the staff. The menu is small, but all looks like interesting flavour combinations. I had a fishy dish to start which tasted good but had a small piece of plastic in it - I informed the waitress and explained that I wasn't going to pay for food with plastic in it. She did not apologise or offer a different starter, she just said "ok". I guess the fish dish comes from some sort of plastic pot!

My boyfriends main was fish also - it was not cooked properly and was a little cold and raw in the middle. The wine list is extensive and fairly pricey, but with some pretty nice bottles on there.

The restaurant was full and buzzy for a mid week booking.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Trullo had been recommended by a real foodie. We did wonder whether to change venue when told on booking that they only do 2 hour slots but thought we would give it a try.
Service was excellent - went to great lengths to explain the dishes.
The wine list is extensive and split into regions of Italy, so it is worth telling the waiting staff what style you are looking for and let them recommend one. We were more than happy with the choice which was cheaper than the wine we would have picked.
The pasta starters of squid ink tagliarini and pici with parmesan and lemon were excellent and just the right size so as not to spoil the main.
We all raved about our mains - lemon sole, lamb shoulder with braised fennel and pork chop with potatoes, chickpeas and salsa rossa.
The meal was finished off with coffee as we were too full for dessert. This was a shame as I would loved to have tried the cheese board with the selection of matching wines. Oh well -another day.
Despite the time slot, we did not feel rushed. Definitely would go back.
For those who don't know the area, the road signs are pretty awful and although the sign at the station points you to the right for St Paul's Road it is more straight on from the station. Trullo does not have a big sign just the name engraved in the glass of the front door, so make sure you don't miss it!

1  Thank Diana H
Reviewed 4 April 2014

One has to remember that this is a small, local restaurant and does what it does well. The menu is short but good. By comparison, the wine list is long and pricey. The service was good and friendly and the atmosphere "lively". In fact, I was surprised how noisy it was for mid-week and not full.

My only complaint was that my lamb had gristle through it and was not just "pink" but underdone, in parts. Hence I rate this place as good but not great. I wouldn't make a long trip across town to go there.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

My family had booked to treat me yesterday to the Islington eatery. I found the atmosphere quite buzzy but the portions disappointingly small. My starter pasta dish was good though but not enough and I was surprised that the all important parmesan cheese was never offered and even on my daughters dishes already added. To follow I ordered the skate but found that whilst the actual white fishmeal was cooked as you got closer to the bone there was still blood. Visually this put me off and I was not too happy with the way it was handled when pointed out.

An ok meal but certainly did not feel authentically Italian!