“Italian food you wish you could find in Italy!”
Review of Trullo

Trullo
Ranked #911 of 23,873 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Restaurant opened this week
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I have eaten here a lot as it is a local restaurant but it never ceases to be enjoyable. It is the perfect local restaurant that could easily be as successful in the centre of London. The menu is original and changes regularly. No stereotypical Italian food here.

Positives:
Friendly staff
Simple rustic decor
Very original small menu - hand made pastas, good vegetables, lovely starters, wood fired oven cooking of meat and fish
Good wine list (fixed mark up on each bottle so more expensive does translate to very good here)
Good atmosphere

Negatives:

Difficult to get a table but this is not really a negative as it is simply a result of their success

1  Thank smarshy5

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Situated in a rather un-promising parade of shops just off the busy Highbury and Islington roundabout is this delightful oasis of Italian based cooking. We had been there once before for a private party but this was the first time for dinner…to celebrate my husband's birthday and in the company of my brother and his wife. I was a little cross to be seated right by the door but in fact a glass screen saved us from most of the draft and we were able to see how many speculative customers were turned away. Don't think of trying to just turn up here. I booked three weeks in advance.

The menu is short but in my experience this is a good thing as the focus is on doing few dishes but each one well chosen and executed. Three of us had quail with aoli to start and this was moist and succulent and absolutely delicious. My brother had gnocchi with pesto and said this was very good too. The men had rump of lamb with new borlotti beans as main courses and the women lemon sole with a wonderful sea tasting mixture of samphire, something green I can't recall the name of and shrimps. On the side were some really delicious buttery potatoes. All excellent. The only disappointment of the night was the zabaglione desert (we had the last one) which was much too creamy and had odd bits of fruit in it. The lemon tart, however, was really tart, lemony and wonderful. The others enjoyed their wine but I can't comment as I'm currently allergic to alcohol! Well done Trullo. We will return.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I've been here for lunch twice and both times, I have been impressed with the innovative menu and quality of the the food. It is a small but intimate setting on a main road very near Highbury and Islington Station. The wine selection was also good and reasonably priced.

1  Thank johnbartley75
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Visited recently on a Thursday night as we were already in the area. Impressed by the decor and atmosphere: simple, cosy and pleasantly understated. Eating in the main ground floor room makes it for a better experience than the slightly claustrophobic downstairs room. Menu is short and not really impressive. On the contrary the restaurant carries quite an interesting wine list. The execution of the items we tried was acceptable. Good and friendly service up to the point one of us asked for tartare sauce with the pan fried sole. This was rather sharply refused by the waitress on the ground that Trullo is an Italian restaurant. As one other reviewer has already said it takes more than the now ubiquitous burrata on the menu to make this an Italian restaurant. I would not travel across town to eat at Trullo, but I guess it makes a decent local eatery.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Enjoyed a delicious meal at Trullo with extremely good service from a very knowledgeable waitress. Wonderful jasmine and sage infused Tanqueray and tonic to kick off the evening! As a table of four we were all keen to taste each others meals as it all looked so interesting. Nothing disappointed! In particular the Wild sea bass carpaccio and the Gressingham duck leg were were excellent.