“Very Pleasantly Surprised!”
Review of Judd Hotel

Judd Hotel
Ranked #247 of 580 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I found this hotel through reviews on this site and others, and wasn't disappointed at all. The price was reasonable for London, but we are also talking London in January, when prices should be more reasonable. We had visited at this time at least 4 other times, and this hotel far surpassed the others, probably due to it's recent renovation. The room, though small, was attractive, the beds very comfortable with great pillows. Very small modern bathroom, very clean. Great location, near Kings Cross/St Pancras Station (no stairs) for train to/from LHR. Otherwise, the walk was the same to Russell Square which we used for access to rest of London. Location in a very quiet, almost traffic-free area as well, and we (two women) felt completely safe walking back from tube after a show at night.
Andi, the receptionist, was great, helping us to get show tickets for the night we checked in, as well as carrying our bags up to the second (Americans would call it the third) floor, and again helping us bring them down when we left. (No lift.)
The breakfast room was also clean and the attendants were very pleasant and attentive. I was satisfied with the choices at breakfast - we don't require a huge buffet!
When we return to London in the future, this hotel will be first on our list to try to book!

Room Tip: We were on the second (third) floor, and in the back - and it was very quiet. Aside from seeing oth...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed here during a business trip to London for 3 days.

The hotel was very clean and in a good area. The breakfast was nice and the staff helpful.

I only had one minor gripe: though the rooms have air conditioning they can still get quite warm (I visited in November).

For the price it is a really nice hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed in this hotel from 26 until 28th of December 2011. The hotel is located in a quite place near the city centre. The rooms are small, but for the type of vacation we made, it's ok. I would recommend if you are visiting London and you don't spend much time in the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Stayed here in July 2011.

We stayed in a alleged double room. You could see in the room the coving was cut off from where the room was split. Very small, bearley any room to manoeuvre. I agree with a below comment about the red dot on the smoke alarm. Im aware its godo that the smoke alarm works, but VERY annoying.

Bathroom is super crammped, could have showered, brushed my teeth and went to loo all once nearly!!

Breakfast was adequate, again, cramped, poor selection.

Think there is better value to be had in "chain hotels" that are nearby ie Premier Inn, Travelodge etc.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Judd Hotel is really convenient. Its close to Euston and the tube. Its also off the main drag at Euston Road in a square, cartwright gardens, which is quite (well quite for london) Its clean, and fresh inside, but its a functional place and i would use it for convenience rather than any feeling of luxury/ambiance. My room was in the basement, sounds horrible but its winter and the curtains are closed so thats not a problem. But when i got into the room there were 3 beds. They were all small singles. I couldnt understand why they wouldnt put in either a larger bed or take one bed out and put in a desk and chair. i had to work on one of the beds - not great for any business person. But comfortable and the bathroom was fresh and clean (apart from the broken sink - come on guys !!) But that didnt inconvenience me. Breakfast is actually in a small but nice room in the basement and they had a cooked breakfast which was nice - set up for the day.

So overall OK just wish they did more to cater to the business market.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MikesBike
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My partner and I booked this hotel (I use the term advisedly) for three nights. On our first night, we were woken by loud machinery close to the room we occupied (Room G04 on the ground floor). I phoned Reception and in my conversation with the duty-receptionist, the following points came to light:
· The complaint about the machinery was a known issue
· The previous occupant - the night before - had demanded to be moved to another room" (apparently this had been done on the morning of the day we arrived)
· That it was too late to effect a move to another room, but that he would leave a note for the day-staff

The machinery continued to switch on and off intermittently throughout the night, resulting in a restless - literally and figuratively - and very uncomfortable night. Early the next morning, I spoke to the receptionist (Manuel, from Fawlty Towers, springs to mind ....), who confirmed ALL of the above. He offered to move us to another room on the first floor; I insisted on viewing the room beforehand and we were - reluctantly - escorted to the room in question. It turned out that our fears about the relocation were not unfounded: the replacement room was located directly ABOVE the machinery! We would therefore have been confronted with the same issue, albeit from a different angle, so to speak. I asked the receptionist whether I could speak to the Duty Manager, but he refused, saying that he would "deal with the issue". I left my card with my telephone number behind, insisting that the issue be resolved as soon as possible. The receptionist phoned me half-an-hour later and told me that he had put the matter to the Duty Manager, who in turn had come up with the following - remarkable - "solution":

If we were not happy with the room - or indeed with the replacement - the only measure open was for us to check out of his hotel! I expressed my surprise at the manner in which Judd Hotel had chosen to deal with the matter, and informed the receptionist that if we were indeed to follow the Duty Manager's "advice", we would not be paying for the previous night, and he assured me that the Judd Hotel would NOT be charging us for the night. We then booked into another hotel (fortunately, despite the start of a very busy weekend, we were able to find a room in the area) and went back to collect our luggage. On departure, I made sure that the receptionist had understood your instructions clearly and asked for your contact details. He - reluctantly, as always (reluctance does seem to typify his behaviour in all things!) - wrote down the name Andi Valdre on the back of a card; for all I know, this is his own name .....

Because I did not trust the receptionist at all, I immediately informed my credit card company by e-mail that the Judd Hotel does not have my authorisation to charge my card; again, my instincts proved to be correct: the Judd Hotel charged our credit card! Clearly, the receptionist carried out this - unauthorised - transaction even before we had left the hotel.

This "hotel" is not worth the top billing it gives itself. AVOID!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
13  Thank I P
Mark0brien, General Manager at Judd Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

After speaking to my staff who were on duty that day at Judd Hotel I would like to recount events to you.

You were given room G04 upon check in and complained about noise coming from the condenser units. Unfortunately the hotel staff were not able to move you that day as the hotel was fully booked. You agreed with reception to move rooms in the morning.
The following morning you called the reception to complain about the noise coming from the condensers. My receptionist arranged for you to see two available rooms. The first one was room 101 on the first floor. You rejected this as you could see the condensers. The second room you were offered was LG01. You declined this room as it was in the lower ground floor, near to the dining room and you claimed there was a smell in the room.
As no other rooms were available you decided you wanted to cancel your reservation with the hotel. My receptionist informed you that you would have to pay for the previous night and would waive the late cancellation fee.
You reacted rudely to his suggestion and left the hotel.
My receptionist completed the sale on the pre-authorised credit card for one nights accommodation.
Having spoken with the duty manager he did advise the receptionist to let you leave the hotel with no penalties although you had been offered alternative rooms in the building. We charged the night you had stayed.
I checked on our computer system and the person in room G04 was a corporate guest staying with us for one night only. The computer showed no trace of a room move for this or any other guest from G04.
I have spoken with all the reception staff and none of them recall telling you there would be no charge. They do however recall you being very rude to them. I do not appreciate guests being rude to my staff.
As far as I can see, Andi dealt with your request in a professional manner and you chose to be rude and non co-operative.

Reviewed 25 November 2011

We stayed here for one night (a Saturday in November) and really cannot fault it. Despite its close proximity to student accommodation, there was no noise disturbance, even in a ground-floor room at the front of the hotel.The building itself is beautiful and has a high standard of decor. Staff at reception and in the breakfast room were very freindly and helpful. It's true that the room was small but, as other reviewers have said, people don't go to London to spend all day in a hotel room. In short, we would recommend this hotel to anybody who wants pleasant short-stay accommodation in a quiet but central location.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple