“Ignore the negs, it's a little gem in the heart of London!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of St Joseph Hotel

St Joseph Hotel
Ranked #1,019 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Ignore the negs, it's a little gem in the heart of London!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

We booked this hotel before reading the reviews, and then read the reviews. We are so glad we ignored most of them!! There are so many negative reviews of this hotel it is unbelievable. People just seem to be so picky, want anything for nothing, or are just simply vindictive.

We got there and were met by a very friendly night porter, who checked us in and told us how to get to the room. We went up the stairs, (which we were lead to believe were steep castle steps), they're not steep at all, I don't know what the problem is, and we went to the first floor, to be greeted by a pleasant twin room, albeit less than large, but very comfortable, with en suite and a safe, and also a fridge (fantastic!) which doesn't happen so often, which came in very useful.

We also read reviews that there was nothing around this hotel re conveniences, absolute rubbish. Erm...go out of the hotel, turn right, then turn right at the end of the road and you have everything you want: Sainsburys, pubs, restaurants and shops. Whoever wrote that obviously turned left out of the hotel instead of right! The beds were comfortable and there was an extra pillow for convenience. We paid a good price for 2 nights in the Earl's Court area which was very good value for money.

Breakfast was continental, and this consisited of juice, coffee, cornflakes, toast, cheese and boiled eggs. People that questioned boiled eggs in the review, why? I have had that plenty of times in hotels - If you're planning to be there a few days though, maybe take some of your own stuff to put on the toast, therefore they can't complain.......they have the deceny to supply fridges in the rooms, so use them and stop moaning!

All said, we had a very pleasant stay and would not hesitate to go back. Oh, and the remote control fee...just get out of bed a trundle the 30cm to the tv and switch channels, and keep the remote deposit safe in your pocket if that sort of thing gets on your nerves.

Great location, great hotel, great value. Go there with an open and fair mind and prove us wrong!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Javitorr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

You get what you pay for at the St Joseph hotel and I found it value for money and the Earls Court location is perfect for all things touristy!

It's clean, but in a variable state of repair. I got the impression that improvements were ongoing. For example, the bathroom in my room was clearly new and of a good standard, yet the room itself desperately needed a good paint job. However, the bed was comfortable and the room was warm.

The breakfast was basic but adequate. A full English you will not get, but on offer was boiled eggs, some naff cheese, toast and cereal with fruit juice, tea and very nice coffee.

Reception staff were courteous and friendly.

Overall, for the price I paid I could not complain about my stay and I would book again in the future.

Room Tip: Room LG6 has patio doors to a yard area. Ideal for smokers (which I am not).
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Hey there, I booked a double room in January 2012 from booking.com and it cost me £44 for a Friday night. I booked this as I was moving home and needed a room for the night and this was one of the cheapest.

It was great value for money. Bed was comfortable and clean, shower was great and there was a plasma tv with freeview in the room. Breakfast (toast,cereal & juice buffet style) was also included.

The only negative I would say is that the room was slightly cold but I didn't ask them to turn on the heat so maybe this could of been remedied.

I would recommend if you are looking for a nice budget hotel in a good location in London.

Room Tip: bottom floor rooms do not have views and seem to be the budget end. If you want a nice room ask for...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank foard83
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

We did book through booking.com as it was in a very nice area and conveniently close to Earl's Court tube station.
As soon as we arrived, NOBODY came to us to help with luggage.

The place was dirty and stinky!!!

The guy at the reception shown us our room; you know what? the room was even worse then the hotel itself!!!
Walls were written on and dirty, bed linen were stained as well as the stinky carpet.

Immediately me and my wife shared the same thought: let's move out ASAP!!!

Despite I would loose my already paid money, we decide to go somewhere else.

Plese do yourself a favor, run away from here!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BruceWayneIT
Montville, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

My wife and I stayed here while visiting London. The Hotel was reasonably priced and very basic. The rooms are very small as the hotel is built in an old townhouse. Breakfast is provided as part of the cost and is also basic. On the whole reasonably cheap so what you get is not bad value.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cheshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

Very pleased that on arrival the gentleman in reception honoured my request for a room with a minimum of stairs as he allocated us a large ground floor room. The room and bathroom were perfectly clean with the bathroom looking to be recently refurbished. The beds were comfortable and the towels provided of an unexpectedly good quality.The room and bathroom were small but perfectly adequate. The breakfast was better than the reviews I had read of the hotel. It was basic but entirely satisfactory and the bread provided was fresh and not just the cheapest available. The one unfirtunate was that the toaster wasn;t working on our second day. For the price paid for a 2 night stay to visit the International Horse show at Olympia it was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: We had G2 room. There wasn't a lot of space to walk around the bed but I managed. The room had a...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank remfan
Lund
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

We stayed two nights at St Joseph hotel during a family trip to London. We had booked one double room and one tripple room well in advance, but despite that we ended up on different floors far from each other. The stairs were narrow and steep with a thick rug which made it difficult to walk in. No lift. Rooms small but in an OK standard and clean - but the bathroom had a smell from the sewage pipes and the bed pillows were very thin.
Bring cash if you want to use the tv remote control - you have to put up a £20 deposit, and also be prepared to pay for the luggage room on the checkout day - £5 per room. That kind of service I take for granted in hotels, I have been to quite a few.
The continental breakfast was poor, bread from the plastic bags, eggs 20 min cooked - totally green, butter out on the tables so soft that they could not have been near a fridge during the night and the breakfast was run by two baltic women who seemed to hate their job and especially the guests. Dressed in a sloppy way and only speaking their own language to eachother standing in the way for the guests, quite rude attitude.
Even in budget hotels one can expect to be treated as guests - here we rather felt like a burden to the staff.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family