“Almost good”
Review of St Joseph Hotel

St Joseph Hotel
Ranked #1,018 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 June 2012

The location was excellent, the staff friendly and usefull. It was clean, but our room was very very small. We had an extra bed for our daughter, and we could hardly move. The bathroom very small too. Another bad point was the breakfast. Everyday there were just one type of cheese, ham, some fruits and juice, butter and jam and just two types of tea. But it was good for us, because we were out almost all day, so we were just happy because pf the location.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 May 2012

Firstly my single room had 3 singles beds, I was like Goldilocks examing the best one. Unfortunately they were all bad - like fold up beds with minimal matresses! Not a good nights sleep.

When going venturing down for breakfast I made a quick exit after discovering the brown bread on offer was covered in mould.

This hotel could be nice with a little more effort ............ but until then give it a wide berth.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2012

The Hotel is called the St Joseph but the room keys and mats inside the Hotel are called the St George. We wondered if they had changed their name because of poor reviews. The walls and floors were dirty. We were expecting a family room for 3 people for one night with breakfast.

What we got was a room about 3 metres square with 3 narrow single beds jammed in with less than a foot between them. There was no room for bedside tables. There was no TV remote unless you left a deposit of £20. The 2 spare pillows provided in the room were sweat stained with no pillowcases. There was damp in the corner of the room with peeling paint and one end of the plastic curtain rail was hanging off the wall. The floors and walls were dirty. The shower room was extremely compact with a sink so small it was difficult to wash your face without soaking the floor. The grout between the tiles had various pink slime and black mould.
The breakfast facilities were cramped and frugal. A few tables were crammed into the basement. There was one type of sliced cheese, cold boiled eggs, jam/marmalade/butter and bread with a toaster. There was orange juice only, tea and coffee.
All in all we felt totally ripped off after paying the princely sum of £121.50.

Dont do it people - it will spoil your trip.

Room Tip: Choose a different Hotel - a Travelodge would be 1000 times better, at least it would be clean
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Paula L
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I can recommend this hotel if you're visiting London for a weekend. It's rather basic, but sufficient. However, if you're older and like it comfortable etc, this is not your first address.
Earl's Court is a perfect location, still in zone 1 and rather central. There are various restaurants on Earls Court road, even a Zizzi - Italian.
The room was small. It took us a while to find out how the windows worked and we never really got the television going. At first it was terribly hot although the radiator was cool, but we found out that someone had turned the fridge up to level 7, which was the heat source. The reception is nice and friendly. We haven't tried breakfast, because we wanted to eat something in central London.

Unfortunately, the fisrt night smelled like fried onions or sweat, someone upstairs was apparantly cooking something weird, however the smell eventually went away and the rest of the stay was fine.

So...it was ok. But I will probably not return.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Located in Earl's Court - this hotel is quite cosy and very conveniently located. It is in a residential neighbourhood, and so it's quite quiet.
The rooms are SMALL, however the bathroom in our room was quite spacious.
It is quite nice for the price, and it's just one underground line to Heathrow.

One more thing: the stairs are quite steep and difficult to navigate with a suitcase.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I must admit and agree with the other reviews here that the location of the hotel is by far its best feature. Located in the Westend close to the underground station of Earls Court.

The rooms are quite pokey (small) we had a double and a triple. The triple was on the upper floor and the double in the dungeon as the wife puts it. If they try to put you down stairs be aware that unless you are an early riser then this is not the place to be as the dinning area is directly across from these rooms and the noise from meals carries.

Yes it has been resently refurbished but the quality of work leaves a bit to be desired. The staff are competent in not overly friendly, is not run or staffed by native english people (if your looking for an authentictype holiday).

It is a good place to stay if you are spending alot of your time out an about as we did touring the sites of London which there are many.

In a nut shell don't expect the Ritz, expect a basic breakfast, and don't expect overly large rooms.

All the best

I&I

Room Tip: If you want a quite room don't go for the dungeon rooms or a streetview room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Set in a location very close to the Olympia Exhibition Centre we read the reviews from this website and thought it was a decent sort of place to stay for a couple of nights,
I'll add that past reviews are no indication to the quality of the goods on offer here.
Arriving at 10.00 pm on the Saturday evening it was pretty easy to find a parking spot on what would otherwise be a mostly Residents Parking street only.
The receptionist was less friendly and informative than someone who actually had any interest in the business making a profit, rather than paying him a wage.
There are 2 computers with pay for internet access in the reception. No free wi-fi.
We had 2 rooms booked, one for my niece and another for my wife and I. The niece was in a room at ground floor level and this was the 1st room we all saw.
I know that floor space is something of a premium in hotels in London so wasn't expecting the Ritz or even a Holiday Inn experience, however to say it was small was a bit like saying that Iceland has a bit of snow from time to time.
I'll leave off with her room and get right into our own room. Up the stairs to a point midway between ground floor and 1st floor was room 101.
The walls on the stairway were covered with either street artist renditions or scratch and scuff marks from suitcases being ha8uled up the stairs. I think the latter to be most likely.
I mean the walls were really badly marked and if there was any attempt to clean them all it would have needed would be a bucket of hot water and a bit of a scrub with a hand brush.
For those who may find stairs a problem, there's no lift.
On the other side of the stairway was the handrail. This was really grubby with a distinctive covering of dust; the sort that goes fluffy when you leave it long enough.
On entering the room I was immediately concerned that we had found our way into a cupboard or small storage room. It was tiny. I mean really tiny.
The pictures will tell the story better.
The beds, 2 single, not the double we had expected, were familiar with my past army days, that is iron frames and as basic as you can get. They were covered with a blanket of dubious colour. We still haven't decided if the pattern on them were stains that had taken residence, fading of the colour or just a really awful choice of pattern, I suspect it was a mixture of all of these. On the up-side, the actual bedlinen was clean and fresh though this is a prerequisite of any hotel.
As you can see from the pictures the "wardrobe -- clothes hanging cupboard" or whatever name you want to apply was more like a partly dismantled pigeon shed. It was home to the safe and also a mini fridge below the hanging space that made for hanging long clothes a problem without them creasing. The fridge would be a good thing in the summer months I guess.
The TV was something of a joke.
Situated at around 7 feet up on the wall directly above one of the beds made it impossible to watch with any degree of comfort. In fact it was something of a puzzle as to how to work the damn thing since there wasn't a handset (buttons) to work it with. Only by sheer luck did I find concealed touch sensitive marks on the surround that turned it on or off and changed channels.
The problem was that the aspect ratio was entirely wrong for any channel it was turned to so that everyone was short and fat.
On visiting the bathroom, in other words taking a step to the left of the bed, I found that a newish shower had been installed. This was fine and was the best part of the room. The toilet was squeezed in alongside the smallest handbasin I think I've ever seen which measured around 12" wide and 8" back to front. The plug didn't sit in it too well though and it emptied almost as fast as you could get water into it.
The shaver plug and the light above the mirror didn't work. At least the light didn't work, I didn't need the shaver plug although it's built into the light so may well have not been working.
The most worrying thing though was the wet towel draped around the bottom of the toilet pan which appeared to have been placed there to soak up a leaking pipe or waste.
Having driven 270 miles to get here it was a matter of getting to bed and just dying for the night, absolutely worn out and almost comatose,
Around midnight some really loud continuous noise soaked through my brain and woke me up, in fact waking both of us up.
You know the sound of an air-conditioning unit? Well it was something like that but very noisy, not just a drone in the background. I couldn't pin it down exactly but it seemed to be coming from inside the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. I put it down to a very agitated plumbing system with water really gushing through the pipes. It went on for 20 minutes before stopping.
Breakfast was as basic as you could get. Hard boiled eggs, toast, slices of cheese etc. Continental I suppose but lacking any attempt at giving a hearty start to a day.
Make of this review what you want. We normally stay in a Holiday Inn or something like it which isn't as basic as this but when all comes to all, value for money is still with the Holiday Inn.
On a scale of 1 to 10 for cleanliness I would be hard pushed to score anything higher than 2. If they can't do clean, then they can't do hotels. Simple.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business