“Horrific”
Review of St Joseph Hotel

St Joseph Hotel
Ranked #1,007 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This is nearly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Booked in the middle of Wimbledon fortnight so had to pay £250 for a double room. Had called ahead to say I would be checking in late and to ensure my room was ready. I only booked as it said on their web site 'Newly refurbished'. Well the only thing that was new was a lampshade in reception, the rest of the hotel was a nightmare. Old shag pile carpet from the 70's, varnished pine twisted spindle stair case, black scrapes and marks all up the walls where cases have been bumped up. I arrived late to find blaring music and a receptionist on his mobile behind the desk. He didn't look up or speak. I was surrounded by stacks of water and coke crates, 40 loaves of white bread and various sacks of dirty washing and piles of paperwork. Nice ! I told the receptionist who I was and took payment from me and shoved the room key in my hand and the only words he spoke was to tell me not to smoke in the room. By this stage I knew it wasn't going to improve. I found the room at the top of the hotel, opened the door to find a tiny room with three low single metal camp beds with filthy bedspreads on them, the towel in the bathroom, yes just the one, was marginally larger than paper kitchen towel but no thicker ! It was grey and hard. The phone should have been in a museum, the desk and chair were definitely out of the local charity shop and the curtains looked like rags at the window. I went back to the 'helpful ' man at reception to ask where my double room was. He pointed at the seat in reception and said 'wait there' . 20 mins later, time now 1am, there was no sign of him so I went back to the room to get my bags convinced he was sorting the right room out. No he was trying to push the three camp beds together to make a double, my bags were left in the hall and there were mattresses and bedding everywhere. I told him this was unacceptable and he told me to like it or lump it ! I had no choice but to walk out at that point choosing to sleep in my car rather than in this horrific hotel. I had to drive back there the following day, exhausted from no sleep, to get a refund as this couldn't be done over the phone. The hotel Manager was very apologetic and nice, offering me a free stay to make up for my experience . Sadly I had to explain that he would need to pay me to stay there.

Room Tip: Simply don't stay
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank julienicola

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Here is a list of reasons why…..

We booked a room for 2 adults and 1 child. We got a very small cramped dingy and dirty room with 3 single beds. No floor space available to walk around. No space for suitcases. We stored them under our beds!! Also the safe in the room did not work.

No mattress protector on beds.

Bathroom door did not close.

Bathroom ceiling and walls covered in mould.

Phone in bedroom but there for decoration only – as it was not wired up!!

Wall lights with 2 bulbs in each, but only 1 bulb worked in each wall light.

I had an accident whereby I bumped into a glass that was sitting close to the door and it fell off the shelf and smashed into a million pieces. I contacted the reception to inform them and was given a hoover and a bag!! Was offered no help or assistance in bringing the hoover to our room, which was up one flight of stairs. The banister on wall heading to our room was slack and ready to fall off the wall!

The nearest fire exit from our room was blocked by mattresses, bed frames and towels!!!

Breakfast was in a small room in the basement which consisted of tea/coffee/juice, toast, cheese and eggs. The girls in the breakfast room did not even welcome you with a ‘good morning’!!!

Walls and floors are paper thin, you can hear people talking and walking in rooms above and next door. The floors are very creaky in the rooms above.

When we checked out the man in reception took our key and said bye – did not ask if we enjoyed our stay.

This hotel should be closed down and all these issues should be resolved before they accept any more guests!

The St Josephs Hotel official website states "The St Joseph Hotel (previously known as the St George Hotel Earls Court) is newly refurbished hotel situated in the heart of London's Earls Court in the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea" - this hotel has certainly not been refurbished recently!!!

"Featuring stylish guest rooms comprising of Single Rooms, Double Rooms, Twin Rooms and Triple/Family Rooms, all of which have private en-suite facilities. WiFi high speed Internet access is available throughout the hotel at a small chargeable fee" - Stylish rooms....i dont think so...

Worst hotel i have stayed in.....ever.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank kazamaca
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Never staying there again.... This place made me physically ill!!!

This place should be shut down for the health of people until it has been fully cleans and sterilised.... And the staff learn some manners......!!!!

Upon arrival with valuables in our bags the rooms were not ready so we got told to leave our bags in reception with no where to have them safely stored....

Rooms and bathrooms are dirty, there was mould on the bathroom walls and ceiling.... Stained on beds, pillows and carpet... Leaking shower which could of done with a new head, I've never felt dirty getting out of a shower until then...

There was dirt on the floor the day I got there as was still there when I left, along with a random sock on the bedroom floor, I guess they don't even change the sheets of the bed.. The bathroom towels are like rags I wouldn't even clean my dogs off with them.

Rooms are exceptionally cold and the heating didn't work. The shower wouldn't heat up, and we called down to reception to be told just leave it running for a while it will heat up.

I left on the Monday morning after beings sick, feeling cold and shivery and still not feeling very well now...

The breakfast was awful, warm bread, warm milk and cornflakes, cups were dirty and plastic cups for water had things floating around in it!

Only good thing was the location close to the tube!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank 917Dave
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Never stay there again. Dirty , stained beds, pillows and bed cover. Carpet !!!! I was afraid to walk on it !!! good location and that is it. Very cold room ,only one blanket we had and when I have asked to have one more for my child I was given filthy bed cover . Bathroom didn't have good clean for long time. I can't believe the hotel management has nothing done to keep this place clean .

Room Tip: good location, Tesco near by
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank kate n
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The WORST hotel experience of my life. Despite the pokey room, the ensuite not much bigger than a standard wardrobe, the bathroom door that opened 45 degrees until it banged into the bed, the cloakroom size sink (impossible to wash your face in without soaking the tiny floor), the shabby furniture and having to lug my heavy case up 4 flights of stairs (no offer of help from the recption staff), I had convined myself to put up with it for a 2 night stay until I awoke on the first morning to the HORROR of finding lots of crawling bugs (some quite large) all over the blanket, the pillows and the one sheet provided to cover the mattress. The bed was ridden with BED BUGS. Disgusting and horrific to find and realise I had slept in that infested bed. Needless to say I hastily packed up and lugged my case back down the 4 flights of stairs. When I informed the member of staff on reception, I was apalled with his response...I quote "nothing I can do, I'm not the owner, I only work here". When I asked if they were going to sort it out, he just shrugged with an unbelievable nonchalence - that will be a NO then! Horrific, dirty, disgusting, nightmare of a hotel - in my opinion, should be shut down. The fact they take money for people to stay in those rooms is disgraceful.

Room Tip: My tip is DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL - filthy and infested!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This hotel is a total shocker. Nothing more than a hostel with dirty little rooms and a bathroom in which you have to stand over the toilet in order to have a shower. The rather odd sign on the bathroom door about where to place toilet paper makes one think that this is a hotel in a third world country. My companion asked for an extra pillow. The man on the front desk promptly stood up, took the pillow on which he was sitting and handed it to him. You could not make this up. If you have very low standards then stay here. The beds are very small and exceptionally uncomfortable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bedaboy
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This hotel is in a good location, within walking distance of the tube and in an area of stores and resturants. Our room was small, but clean. Breakfast was adequate with toast, boiled eggs, cereal, cheeze jelly juice and coffee. An OK place to stay for a night or two, but I would check out other hotels in the area before booking here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple