“A hidden gem in London”

Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill
Ranked #82 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 December 2011

What an outstanding find the Hotel Indigo Tower Hill turned out to be! If you've been to London you know that most London hotels fall into one of two categories -- tiny and outdated or jaw-droppingly expensive. Sometimes both. The Indigo Tower Hill is neither.

The room I had -- room 301 -- was a palace compared to most comparably priced London hotels. Spacious and comfortable, with plenty of room to move around, the room was tastefully decorated (loved the wide plank floors and scatter rugs), outfitted with a four-poster bed and quality linens, and free wifi service that worked well on both my computer and my iPad. The bath was stylish and featured the plushest towels I've ever seen in a hotel, and the glass-walled walk-in shower was an excellent touch. The minibar stocked with free juices, bottled water, and snacks was a pleasant surprise as well.

The hotel staff was friendly and helpful and the lobby, while small, was inviting. The location is a mixed bag. It's walking distance to the Aldgate tube station and bus, which makes getting around Central London convenient since Aldgate is on the Circle Line. The hotel is also a 10 minute walk to the Tower Bridge, the Tower of London, and the south bank of the Thames. It's a fantastic location during the day.

The street on which the hotel is located can feel a little sketchy at night, thought no one actually bothered us even when we were returning to the hotel at 2 or 3 am. There aren't many local choices for restaurants or entertainment after dark, so get an Oyster card and be prepared to take the tube, or find a bus to Aldgate if you're coming back to the hotel after midnight. Fortunately, London really has public transportation figured out and it's very easy to get around.

I will definitely consider staying at the Indigo Tower Hill whenever I'm back in London. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the quieter side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Bad-Horse
GM18, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Fantastic feedback, thank you. Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill is indeed to many, a "hidden gem", a unique and refreshing experience in a congested market place full of mediocrity and pomp. Tacked away in a relatively quiet part of the City of London, is close to major tourist attractions with an easy reach to London’s West End.

For those of you who are reading these feeds and are still unsure, I say this; ...travellers who dare to follow their hearts, reap the greatest experiences ... so dare being different, dare to dream...

All of us here at Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,319)

Reviewed 25 December 2011

We found everything we were looking for in this hotel: location, helpful friendly staff, and a beautifully decorated room. The hotel Indigo pampers their guests with free minibar, and spa-like bathrooms. The room was spacious and kept immaculately clean. We really felt like we got a lot more than what we were paying for... and how often can you say that anymore?

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John Y

Wow, what a review! Many thanks for your lovely comments. We would love to see you back with us when you are next in London.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

I have stayed here once this year (2011) and am hoping to go back during the Christmas break if possible. This is a fantastic little hotel in a brilliant part of London. My partner and I loved the decor, especially the rough brick wall in the bedroom and we fondly remember it as The Pizza Oven Hotel (not that the room was hot, it was a perfect temperature throughout but the room just looked like a kiln). We had breakfast in our room as a treat and it really was lovely. I think we also qualified somehow for a free film on the television and stayed in the room (with all of London to be explored outside) watching Morning Glory. But it was a really nice touch.

I actually used to live very close to Minories for several years (in Whitechapel) so I knew it would be a great area but the hotel was an unknown quantity. We stayed there because my partner was getting a prize in the Tower of London (yes, I'm showing off).

You are really close to Tower Bridge and the Tower of London in one direction. But if you go up to Whitechapel, then you are walking distance to Whitechapel Gallery (and its lovely cafe) and Brick Lane with all the food and music there.

During our weekend we also visited friends in West London (Chiswick and Shepherd's Bush) but this really wasn't a problem with the many tube lines in this area. So it's not a bad base for exploring further afield too.

Room Tip: Ask for a Pizza Oven Room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
GM18, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Thank you for your kind comments. Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill has indeed a "warm" eclectic design vain, a stone’s throw from the No. 1 UK attraction, The Tower of London; a perfect base to explore the culturally rich neighborhood.
We would love to see you back soon.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

The hotel was close to the tube, the Tower of London and other sights. The rooms are well-appointed with a clever design. They were clean with new fixtures and furnishings. In an age when hotel minibars charge 6 dollars for a can of soda, the free drinks in the minibar were a nice touch. Free WiFi, too.

There was a bit of a mix-up with my wake-up call -- but I did not hold that against them. All-in-all, it was a pleasant stay. A nice hotel with a very helpful staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank wheelsupUSA

Lovely thoughts, thank you. We too love to see you back very soon.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

We stayed here for our Wedding Anniversary and booked an Executive Room. I can re-iterate all the other reviewers really. The hotel was quiet and as we knew our way around London it was easy to get around. It was great to get free Wi-Fi and complimentary Soft drink mini bar which is very rare. However, if you are new to London it is still close to all amenities just ask someone to point you in the right direction first. We didn't eat in the restaurant as we thought the Breakfast prices were overpriced but we did have drinks in the bar and they tasted delicious. The only thing that stops me from giving it 5 stars was we ordered desserts on room service the first night there and when we received the food it was cold as it wasn't covered. Also, there is no DVD player in the room - not a deal breaker by far but would have been a nice touch. Overall, a nice weekend

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for kind feedback & valuable comments. Some "food for thought" there....thank you.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 16 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel last month whilst working in the city. I was expecting a typical stay in London, overpriced and under services but was pleasantly surprised.
The hotel is only 5 minutes walk from Aldgate tube station with easy access to the rest of London. It is a short walk from the Bank of England and other sights in the city of London.
The reception area is small but clean and the staff very friendly. My room was very large with a lovely bathroom which had a walk-in shower but no bath. The entire room was decorated in a modern style with a new flat TV. The alarm clock also had an iPod dock if you had one with you. The wardrobe was very large with enough storage space to hang clothes for a week of client meetings. The bathroom however was not overly equipped with space for my razor and toiletries.
I ate in the adjoining restaurant for two nights and ate off the daily specials board both times. The food was excellent and the service very good. The restaurant was very quiet which meant that it lacked much of an atmosphere.
If you are a Platinum member if the hotels frequent guest programme you can have complimentary access to a nearby fitness centre but as there was no mention of this on the hotels website I did not bring the correct clothing to use it.
Overall it was a pleasant stay and I will certainly use the hotel again next time I am in London.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the main road
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank yorkshireman abroad

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We would love to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 15 December 2011

This is a fantastic hotel with great staff that made you feel welcome and at home. From the king bed to the hardwood floors, walk-in shower, free internet, day pass to the nearby gym, nespresso machine, stocked free mini-fridge and super friendly staff this is a hotel I fully enjoyed and will stay in again.

When I first entered the hotel the small reception area worried me but it was in fact a reflection of a smart use of space with more room being devoted to the rooms.

The restaurant is quite good and the staff are friendly, albeit a bit slow.

I would recommend this hotel to both business and pleasure trips.

• Stayed: December 2011

Wow, I couldn't put it better myself. Thank you! We too would love to see you back with us very soon.