“Great hotel in a great location”

Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill
Ranked #75 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Welton, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

I've just got back from a 2 night stay at Hotel Indigo, Tower Hill and I couldn't fault it. The hotel is in a very central position and is easy to find from Tower Hill tube stop (only a couple of minutes walk away). You can walk to Tower Bridge witin 5 minutes and St Pauls, Millenium Bridge within 20/30 minutes.

We arrived early and left our luggage at reception ready for check in late rin the day, we arrived and our luggage had been taken up to our room which was very nice of them! The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly and the rooms were comfy, clean and spacious just as the pictures showed.

All in all, I would definately stay here again and have already recommended to my mum that she stays her during her stay in London.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
GM18, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
Thank you for your warm thoughts. We love you too and hope we see you again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

This is a great place to stay in the City. I was lucky enough to get upgraded to the 'Tower Bridge' suite during my stay here: the room was excellent - very nicely decorated, very spacious and very comfortable. The room was very clean and the bathroom was excellent.

The location is good just a few minutes walk from Tower Hill and an easy walk to locations in the City.

I had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and both were excellent. All of the staff I came across were very good and very helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
GM18, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Great comments, thank you. We would love to see you again with us very soon.
Atworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

The Indigo was a really pleasant surprise both in terms of the room and the high level of service I received, it's part of the IHG group which includes holiday Inn but is far superior to any of those I have stayed in.

The room was ultra modern, clean, and I got a free upgrade as a platinum IHG card holder.
It's in a great position for bars , restaurants etc. right outside the door.
Don't be fooled by the outside

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Fantastic review, thank you. Thank you for the tip regarding the exterior of our building. It sure hiddes a gem! We look forward to seing you again soon.
Yorba Linda, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

We stayed at the Indigo Tower Hill in London to start our trip. We received a very good rate (I assume) as our stay was over the weekend and this area, the square mile, is primarily a business center. The downside to this was that most of the retail food shops either close early or are closed entirely during the weekend. Also, other that the London Bridge and the Tower, tourist attractions are not walking distance. However, the Algate station for the Underground is a minutes walk, so we didn't find this a major inconvienence.

The staff were pleasant and helpful and the Executive King room was large (by European standards), well appointed, and had a comfortable king-size bed. The non-alcoholic minibar was also included in the price. We did not use the restaurant.

I liked the hotel so much that I tried to book a room at the Indigo Paddington hotel, but could no work out a deal even remotely close to what I received here. I would recommend this hotel.

The only negative was that our room faced west and the sun really made the room uncomfortable. This was compounded by a low-blowing air-conditioning unit. We just turned the AC on and left the room for a few hours. Once the system caught up to the conditions, everything was fine. Not a huge deal and we didn't even mention it to the staff.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great review. We believe in the power of frank feedback as it drives all of us professionals to new highs of service deliverance - and why not a few of us little "mad"...
We would love to see you back with us very soon.
Doncaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

Brilliant hotel and probably the best I have stayed in in London. Fabulous decor throughout, even the corridors were pristine.The location is close to Tower Hill and so pretty close to the attractions if not bang city centre; good enough for us. I didn't eat or drink there as there is too much to do elsewhere in London and I'm a big Wetherspoons breakfast fan (there's one by the Tower) but I'm sure that would have been good too. Absolutely top notch - I will be back....

Room Tip: If using the Virgin active gym don't take valuables as the lockers need a padlock which Virgin w...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
GM18, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Thank you for your lovely feedback. We are so pleased you appreciated our approach to hotel bedroom design and the unique blend of hospitality Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill has to offer.
Just a clarification, Virgin Active gym offers a padlock free of charge but they do require £5.00 deposit which is refunded when the padlock is returned.
We look forward to welcoming you back with us very soon.
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

This place was fantastic. I stayed there for four nights on a business trip. The location was very good, plenty of pubs and restaurants and within 10mins of walk to both the Aldgate or Tower Hill underground station. My room was extremely nice, in fact it might be better than some of the InterContinentals I have stayed. Staff were very helpful as well. Great price for the money!!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Great review, thank you. I agree with you and most of our guests do likewike; Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill offers excellent VFM coupled with great service and style.
We would love to see you again very soon.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Like everyone says, Hotel Indigo offers really good value.

The rooms are nice, modern and feature all relevant amenities (iPod dock etc) and are very spacious by London standards. The bed we had was very comfortable and the room was absolutely clean.

What is particularly great is the free minibar and free WIFI. It's nice to be able to indulge on free chocolate and sparking water from the minibar.

The location is really convenient, less than 2 minutes from Aldgate and less than 5 minutes from Aldgate East tube stops. We did the touristy stuff (Tower Bridge) on foot by day and partied in Shoreditch by night - and were still able to walk everywhere because the hotel is so perfectly situated.

The girls at reception are really friendly, although check-in seems to take forever. Some other things that weren't quite perfect are the designer toilet (the seat is too small unless you have an extremely tiny bum), the lack of a toilet brush (or in place of that a turn down service), the WIFI signal strength towards the street on the fourth floor (my wife's Samsung hardly ever got a connection and my iPhone was really slow), and the fact that my reservation initially couldn't be found because the IHG website used an odd combination of my first and middle name as my last name.

So why only 3 moons? Because I don't like to be ripped off. And whether it was intentional or not, I felt like the hotel tried to overcharge me TWICE.

I had booked on the IHG website. My rate was GBP 154/night incl. VAT.
When we arrived at check-in, the girl took my credit card and wanted to charge me more than GBP 180. I was pretty sure that my rate was less, so I checked and told her that my rate was GBP 154. She responded that I "must have booked before 14 September, when rates were changed to exclude VAT". I didn't book until after that date, VAT was clearly included according to the website, so it seemed liked a pretty poor excuse for attempting to overcharge me.

She then proceeded to tell me that the room I had booked was not available, so she would have to upgrade me to a larger room and asked whether this was ok. Of course, who doesn't agree to a free upgrade if your original category isn't available?! She did not mention any charges, only said that my original room wasn't available.

So imagine my surprise when upon check-out, I was handed a bill for GBP 174 to sign off on. The hotel had added a GBP 20 upgrade fee. The receptionist was hesitant to remove it and we had to explain twice that we were not told about any upgrade charges whatsoever, only about the unavailability of the room we had booked.

Summary: If I hadn't paid attention to my rate and the invoices/credit card slips handed to me, the hotel would have charged me GBP 204.80 instead of the GBP 154 that were due.

So if you decide to stay here, check your invoices! We haven't decided yet whether to return. It's a nice hotel in a good location, but I hate it when businesses try to cheat you.

Room Tip: No street noise audible on the 4th floor
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SHills2010
Thank you for your frank comments. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed our hotel offerings while I am obviously very concerned to hear of your billing incident.
Firstly, I will share wholeheartedly with you your “allergic” reaction to anything that appears a “rip-off”. VFM and transparency are very important values to us. While it’s very difficult to pin down your particular case, around the 14th Sept. we faced a small number of issues due to some unforeseen technical challenges during our recent change over from displaying of our public rates excl. of VAT to incl. of VAT.
I would like to assure you that we have dealt with those few instances amicably and with the overriding sense of “good will” that underwrites our business model.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the errors that may have precipitated the apparent rate difference on that occasion and for the apparent misunderstanding with the cost of the upgrade.
I would like to assure you that we have always acted in good faith free of questionable motives.
I trust that this unfortunate experience does no mar your faith in us and I hope to see you again with us very soon.