“Very good trip and happy hotel stay”

Travelodge London Waterloo Hotel
Ranked #437 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Very good trip and happy hotel stay”
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very good. We were really happy staying in this central location with lots of local amenities and in fact having the London eye and Thames just around the corner. As the hotel is on the South bank, I found that there was slightly less people and there was not any 'bad crowds'! I would definitely recommend this hotel! It was great coming back to the hotel, after a busy day, to a clean room! You have everything either in the room or available from reception for a cost, letting you know that you really are at home!! I found the bar and reception area very spcious and welcoming to all and will hopefully return

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Over the years I have stayed in many different hotels in London and my price range has varied from very cheap to luxury stays. One thing that I had learned is that in London you always get less than what you pay for. Until I stayed here.
Shortly before New Year's, my boyfriend and I decided to celebrate it in London with another couple. As it was last minute, we did not have many alternatives, so we decided to "settle" for this particular Travelodge. The main reason for choosing it was the location. For me this is hands down the best location in London - it is an excellent base for exploring the city, but Waterloo is a hip and happening place in itself.
My expectations about the rooms were very low, I have to admit. Having been to other cheap hotels in London, I was a little concerned. However all my fears disappeared the moment we walked in the lobby. It was light, spacious and very clean.
There was a mix up with our reservation but it was resolved within 10 minutes. I'd advise you to print out your reservation to avoid the same problem. We had payed for early check in (which is 12) but we got there at 10 am, luckily, they were able to give us our rooms immediately, which is great!
Our friends got a room on the 1st floor - 133, which was at the bottom of a very long corridor and rather small. We got lucky, because we got a corner room - 407, which was almost twice as big. Do ask for it, if you get the chance. The furniture is basic but new and comfortable. You get everything you need! The bed is really comfy, I've had better sleep here than in many other much more expensive hotels. There is a good choice of tv channels. The bathroom is tiny, but it is clean and most importantly - mould free. The carpet could use a slightly better cleaning.
Another surprising aspect of this hotel was the food. The food is actually pretty great. We did try many different things and everything was of great quality. Service could be faster, but it was a very busy period after all, so I can't really blame them for that.
All in all, this is great little hotel. You get an amazing value for money, unbelievable for London. We will return. Soon!

Room Tip: get 407! Its the biggest
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Desislava G
Cairo
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had a family short break between Christmas and new year and were so pleased with this hotel that we came back for another night later in the week! We had good sized rooms which were clean and comfortable with decent bathrooms. The breakfast is okay, not great, but convenient to set you up for a long day of walking around London. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Incredibly good value for the centre of London, an easy walk up to Westminster and the south bank. It also has buses stopping just outside and the underground just up the road. Only downside, make the single beds wider please!

Room Tip: They will book you a double room by default, so be sure to ask for twin or family when booking,
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I took my parents to this travelodge and paid £58 for a family room (bargin) which was very spacious and really clean throughout the hotel and the beds were so comfortable as always! We even had a great view of the London Eye from our window!! Staff were lovely and helpful at check in desk including one woman (I didn't get her name) but she took care of us when our room wasn't quite ready. Just a short walk from Waterloo station with a 24 hour sainsburys which is great when coming back from a west end show late at night. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night while going to theatre! Decent location , had a little trouble checking in as room not quite ready but staff very helpful and arranged us a hot drink in bar area while we waited which was only 10 mins or so - room was a family room very spacious we even had a view of the London eye between two other grey drab buildings! Clean room , fresh towels -sparse but that's what we know and expect and is fine by us for one night for the price we pay! Most importantly we had a good nights sleep as the beds were extremely comfortable and large ! There was some noise from about 6am as people were rising and banging doors etc but this is to be expected ! Didn't have breakfast in hotel so can't comment on this but Would stay here again

Stayed January 2014
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

we booked the Travelodge because of price its a typical Travelodge nice room comfy bed good shower restaurant 24hr bar nice staff rate 100% location is fantastic 3mins walk from waterloo mainline & tube which connects you to anywhere in London. 5mins walk from the southbank & festival hall & the London eye. then a short walk across the river to covent garden, parliament, Trafalgar square, need I say more. we went to visit hyde park Christmas wonderland, oxford street lights. Perfect. the area the hotel in is safe and we felt comfortable walking around even late at night.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gosport
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stay in London at least once a year for a nice break. As wallets are a bit tight this year we decided to stay in the Travelodge hotel near Waterloo Station as it was easy to get to and I had heard it has been recently refurbished.

I had to pay an additionally £10 when I arrived as I arrived before 2pm and I didn't want to carry my luggage around London. I was given a room designed for a disabled person. It was very clean and clearly been recently refurbished. The bathroom was actually a wet room as it was for a disable person. There were 2 single beds, both very uncomfortable and I'm normally not that fussy. The view was of the bins with was pleasant.

I paid extra for the breakfast, which was actually quite nice, but there seemed to be a shortage of cutlery and the apple juice ran out and turned into coloured water.

As I had to be checked out by 11am and they do not have a storage area available to keep luggage safe for guests I had to stow my luggage in Waterloo station at an extra charge.

All in all, I would not stay here again. I chose to stay here because it was cheaper than staying in the Premier Inn or Holiday Inn. But as I had to pay for little extras like stowing luggage etc.. it actually worked out more expensive in the long run, and after a bad nights sleep I don't think it was worth it. If you go to London and want to stay near Waterloo don't bother with Travelodge, push the boat out and stay at Premier Inn - it's much better!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge London Waterloo Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for your review tpcb_hot. Our check in time is 3pm across all of our hotels however we will ensure that a number of rooms are ready from 12 noon for our customers who may wish to check in early and wish to leave their luggage in their room. There is a £10.00 charge for this service and it is subject to availability. It is regrettable to learn that there was a shortage of cutlery in the bar café and that items were not replenished, our bar café staff are fully trained to provide a great service so we are truly sorry that this did not happen on this occasion. We will be sure to pass on your comments to the hotel management team so that they can address the issues you have raised.