“At under GBP10 for a night, I thought it was excellent value!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of West Two London

West Two London
Ranked #607 of 828 Speciality Lodging in London
London, United Kingdom
“At under GBP10 for a night, I thought it was excellent value!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2010

I stayed for just 2 nights in a mixed dorm room but wasn't expecting too much for the money I paid and was pleasantly surprised. The linen was clean, the room was warm, the shower had hot water, there was free tea and coffee (all day ... although they ran out of milk!) and there was an amorous couple getting cosy together.

If I had paid between 10 and 20 GBP for the bed in the dorm I stayed in I would have left disappointed but at the price I paid felt I had a real bargain.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Jo_Reviewer-hotelier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

Great cheap place to stay. Not luxurious but not a dump either. No security lockers in dorm rooms. The front desk will hold things for you. Awesome location! Very close to the tube and all the great touristy sights. Clean quiet neighborhood. Not ghetto. Close to grocery store and a block away from an Internet cafe as well as launder mat. Free brekky and coffee. Nice spacious kitchen. Nice common room to chill. You won't regret staying here

• Stayed November 2009
Durham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

We booked here for 3 nights with t been reletively close to Hyde park. We went to hard rock calling festival. The hostel is located just of the main street in bayswater so location wise is great, plenty of bars and restauatants.
On arrival, the receptionist told us we hadn't booked 4 people for 3 nights but 2 for the first, 3 forthe second and 4 for the third and tried to blame us and the booking website hostelbookers.com. But having worked in a hostel before I know it is the responsibilty of the hostel to close reservations on booking websites so it was west two at fault. Due to this we were split in twos and not in the same room as requested until the third night, even though there were enough beds in one of the rooms to accommodate us all in the same room. It also meant we paid more than the confirmation stated.
The rooms had rentokol boxes under the beds and ants on the floor. The beds were extremely uncomfortable with springs sticking out.
It wasn't till lunch time the next day that I came out in what looked like hives all the way down the left side of my body and my eye swelled up to close and after consulting the chemist, I was told it was bed bugs. Great!
The hostel was extremely unclean, under the beds were items other guests had left behind, the showers had mould and mildew in them and attracted little flies and there was sick up the wall and carpet one day.
On the second night I was sitting outside the enterance and was asked to move as I was blocking the door, I did so and the entrance was clear but some big burly balck guy came out and told me to move in a threatening nature. I was told later in he had te same nasty attitude with another guest who had his shirt off
I have stayed and worked in hostels over Europe but this has to be the worst. I wouldn't advise anyoeto go there. The staff are rude and the place is dirty. Just as well I had good company and The concert.

• Stayed November 2009
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

Stayed here for a long weekend. Not much to say. Room we got was fairly comfortable. Twin room, bunk bed. Comfortable enough. Room was well heated, which was a major plus, as it was a pretty cold weekend in London. Mirror and sink in room. Bathrooms/showers were not ideal. Not the cleanest (mildew present on all the showers i used), and too few of them for a hostel that size. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Had small kitchen, dinning area (both very basic) and a tv room. Free internet was also provided, but we did not use it, so cannot comment on the speed. All in all, your run of the mill hostel; can do alot better, but also alot worse. Best thing about it though - location. Very quiet area, stones throw away from Bayswater station. The locale has a multitude of restaurants and pubs, catering to everyone's tastes.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

We paid around £90 for two nights which was very good value for an ensuite room in London ..but as soon as we arrived, we realized that we're going to get exactly what we have paid for - one of the most uncomfortable beds and untidy rooms in a terrible horror house with paper thin floors and walls that felt like it would come down any second.

Refused to even check their breakfast out in some classroom in the basement and tried to stay away as much as possible. Their door didn't block any sound from the corridor and it was quite noisy with the dorms and all.

Location ok - mall, supermarkets, tube and 24h shops in relatively close proximity.

Will definitely invest more money or go to a quality dorm the next time in London. Avoid like plague unless you can really take anything - it doesn't get much worse than this.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wx448
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2009

A few friends and I are in the navy (U.S.) and we were in london for the night. With the plan of just showing up in the city and figuring it out from there, we ended up at the West Two. As soon as we walked in, we could tell this was exactly what we were looking for. After walking up a bunch of different, narrow winding stairs to the top floor, we finally found our room, which had four bunk beds. One guy had obviously been there a while by the looks of his bottom bunk blanket fort. After making sure we knew where we were sleeping for the night, we headed back out in the local area for some good food and drinks, but ended up in the downstairs lounge chatting with people from Germany, Austrailia, and some other countries I can't remember off the top of my head. Finally going up to sleep around 245 in the morning, we found that half the empty racks in the room had been taken, so we piled into what was left. In the morning, having a sink in the room was very convenient, and the bathroom down the hall was clean. Yes it seemed pretty shady to us, but overall a great experience, that was exactly what we were looking for. I would definitely recommend it to anyone into that type of transient living.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Midwest
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2009

This hostel is absolutely disgusting. The bathrooms smelled like urine and the showers had mold on the walls. We paid for five beds and only got four with no refund. We were woken up by staff at two in the morning because our roommates were complaining we had taken one of their beds. There was trash all over the room and the floors were so weak I felt like I was going to fall through them. This hostel made me want to run away screaming!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends