All reviews david carter bedtime stories mile end road unique stay single room experience london boutique hotel home away from home three nights stayed longer brick lane small hotel bath hotelier shoreditch pajamas wallpaper
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We were so thrilled when there was an opening at the 40 Wink. David was the most gracious host and this home is as stated in so many other reviews. Stunning. Masterful. Refined. Tremendous attention to detail. The guest rooms are on the second level, we stayed in the double bedroom, and there is also a single bedroom, both beautiful. One shared bathroom at the height of luxury. Comfy bed with premium sheets. We arrived late one evening and unfortunately, there were no places to dine open, David provided some snacks, apples and potato chips. My husband is still talking about the coffee that David prepared...Hopefully, you can be as fortunate as we were!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Hi Amanda,

Thanks so much for that....

Very pleased we could help, and hope to see you back here again another time.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 October 2013

If you intend to be a guest at 40 Winks be prepared for a totally different experience from any place you have ever stayed at. While, yes it is a hotel in name, that is not what it feels like – and that is a compliment because it is far from sterile and anonymous. In fact it is actually difficult to describe what 40 Winks gives a person as I would imagine that every guest will have their own interpretation based on their own beliefs, attitudes and worldviews. For me it was magical in the sense it transformed me back to childhood memories of what I dreamed it would be like to live in a palace (though somewhat smaller) with ornate and beautiful surroundings. A most comfortable bed with perfectly placed pillows and the softest sheets, the luxurious bathroom with freestanding bath, gold walls and subdued lighting. Each ornament, lamp, mirror, painting or piece of furniture in the house has been chosen with utmost care and thought and expertly positioned reflecting the owner David Carter’s talent for interior design. It is easy to see why 40 Winks has such wonderful reviews and attracts people from all over the world.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Hi Philippa,

Thank you so much for the charming review.... so pleased we brought some lovely childhood memories for you!!

Take care.

All the very best,

Reviewed 2 October 2013

You are entering a different world when you walk in the door at 40 winks. I felt like Alice in Wonderland and was treated like a princess from the time I checked in to the hotel until I checked out. David Carter is a wonderful host. He has an unique style, a big knowledge of art and design and can show you places in London you'd never find on your own! He showed me a wonderful flea market with the most amazing treasures you can imagine! You will be inspired by his magical world and made my trip to London unique! He also came to visit me in the gallery where I exhibited and joined me to see a concert with one of my friends. I will never forget my first stay at 40 winks!

The only negative was that the bedroom door did not lock with a key, but it felt so safe there that it was like sleeping over at a friend's house. =)

• Trip type: Travelled on business
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Hi Vibeke,

Every girl deserves to be treated like a princess!!!

Thank you so much for the lovely review...

Hope to see you back here again the next time you are over in London.

All the very best,

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed at 40 winks for 4 nights in late September and couldn't have imagined a more enjoyable place to lay my head in my maiden visit to London. David was most hospitable, taking every opportunity to get to know his guests with the classic opening lines of 'Would you like some tea?' or 'How was your day darling?'. I enjoyed the late night conversations which certainly gave me food for thought! I strongly recommend anyone looking for a holistic holiday in London to stay at 40 winks! Thanks for being such a wonderful host David!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Steph6697
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

A huge pleasure having you to stay!!! Hope to see you back here again soon for more tea and good conversation...

All best,

Reviewed 18 September 2013

David Carter is the perfect host. Attentive, gentleman and familiar with everything that goes on in London. A man with unlimited wisdom, knowledge, charm, and patience. His personality makes the 40 winks even more special. Those of you who find interest in London's fashion or gastronomic scene, David is certainly the person to consult with.
David , thank you for the wonderful holiday and I look forward to meet up with you again.

Baruch and Gali

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Baruch G
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Thanks so much for all your kind words!!!

It was lovely to meet you both, and hope to see you back here again soon.

All best,