“an incredible house !”
Review of 40 Winks

We can't find prices for this accommodation
40 Winks
Ranked #5 of 566 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2014

It's the first time I am the only guest in any hotel ! In fact, in 40 winks, you could be almost the only one to enjoy the greatest part of this magical house. I felt like Alice in wonderland, surprised, sometimes intrigued, and inspired.

In addition, David has a great sense of hospitality and loves creating high quality relations with his guests.

I recommend the experience to anyone like uncommon stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank delphine b
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you Delphine for the lovely review!!!! It was a pleasure to meet you too, and I hope to see you back here again in London soon.

Have a fantastic Summer.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

This is a highly individual place close to a bus stop and two tube stations with good working wireless lan in your room. The welcome was a bit strange when you are asked if you are staying in the right place (especially after having payed in advance). The breakfast was basic continental and nothing to lift up your heart. Having a shared bathroom for the overnight price being charged does not really make it good value for money. But if you are out for the extraordinary this is the place to look for

Room Tip: The owner requests no street shoes.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Flugwiesel
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

It is always a bit odd when someone writes an anonymous review several months after they visited, but while our reviewer may have found us 'peculiar and highly individual', this is exactly how we found him. Quite why he came to stay with us is a mystery... although judging from his comments it was possibly our proximity to public transport and our good wifi. It certainly wasn't for the reasons most of our guests come here such as the extraordinary design, the good conversation or our ability to enchant and inspire them. The fantastic shops, markets and restaurants in nearby Shoreditch and Spitalfields were not of any interest to him. Instead he chose to spend one of his two nights in London sitting on his own in the cinema, just a couple of minutes walk away.

40 Winks is a very individual hotel with its own pecularities, but this is exactly the point!! It is what makes it so special, and explains why we continue to be rated as one of the best hotels in the world by magazines such as Vogue and Conde Nast Traveller. We have many guests who regularly return to us, and have made many friends around the globe. They come precisely because we are offering something different. While we did our very best to make this guest feel welcome here, the other guests we had staying at the time felt very uncomfortable when he was around, as, I must confess, did I. He is very different from the type of guest we typically have staying both in his appearance and his manners, and I am sure he will be much happier staying somewhere else the next time he decides to visit London.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

David,
I have sat down so many times to write a review on you and 40 Winks.
I am quite visual, so words, especially written words, are very difficult for me to put down on paper.
I wanted to write a review that would do you proud. I found it utterly impossible to do.
Our nights stay was lovely to say the least, but left us wanting...
Wanting to explore the vast delights of your home. Wanting to continue our unfinished conversations. Wanting to find out more about this man David.
Yes, you were very gracious, interesting, and giving of yourself. But most amazingly to me ....was how down to earth and unpretentious you were. I was amazed how you can open up your home to strangers. Your home, which is filled with your treasures which create your magical mystical lair.
It is truly a wonderful experience. I suggest one needs at least a few days to go away feeling as if one has unearthed the mysteries that lie within the walls of 40 Winks. If you are lucky enough that Mr. Carter is able to accomodate your stay at 40 Winks, consider yourself very fortunate!
I wish I could have rearranged our schedule to have taken you up on your offer to go bopping around your local anitique market with you.That is my kind of afternoon!
Amber will be in London the Spring of 2015 after her Studies at Sea. We hope that she will be able spend a few nights at 40 Winks before backpacking in Europe.
She will have so much to share with you!

till then our best,

Gloria

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Gloria B
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Hi Gloria,

What a glorious review!!! Thank you so much for all your kind and lovely words.

Hopefully we will see you and Amber back here again soon.

All the very best for now,

Reviewed 8 April 2014

From Christie Sharpe

It was a real treat staying at 40 winks! My mum who had been extremely pleased with her last visit, introduced me to David Carters home of wonder!
Stepping off the busy street of Mile End Road into the home of Mr carter was rather magical, greeted in a dark sensual hallway I was already intrigued by everything around me.
Mr Carter's hospitality is completely unique and welcoming, we joined him in his stylish, homely kitchen and shared great conversation and humor over a good cuppa!
Davids home is styled to perfection with an elegant twist of the old, the new and the quirky, I felt warm, comfortable and could have moved into 40 winks there and then! From the ambient lit, glamorous bathroom to the soft sheets and beautiful cushions, nothing is missed and you will be looked after!
Staying at 40 winks is unique and unlike any other place I've stayed at, for an inspiring person like David to open his home up to us is extremely special.
Thank you for a great nights stay and I hope to visit again!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christie_s92
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Hi Christie,

Thank you so much for the lovely review... it was a great treat to have your mum back again and to meet you!!

Hope to see you both back here again very soon.

Have a great weekend.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Truly one of the most amazing places I have ever stayed. Every room exhibits the charm and taste of the owner, David Carter. A typical hotel, no matter how lovely, is often quite impersonal. 40 Winks provides the warmth and attention normally given to a guest staying at a private residence. On a final note- the bathroom is sublimely decadent and the bed is, hands-down, the most comfortable one I have ever slept in outside my own house.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Darcy E
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thanks so much Darcy!!! Hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in London.

All best,

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Well well well, What can I say about 10 Winks. My girl friend and I stayed at 40Winks for her birthday. 40 Winks is very well-known in the fashion industry and many others, so we were very lucky to be able to find a vacancy at David's place the night of her birthday. The stay made her birthday more special than anything since her passion is for fashion and arts. 40 Winks is decorated with very unique art pieces and it is almost like jumped into Alice in wonderland.
The room we stayed at was for double room which located on the third floor. It was just marvellous and fantabulous place to be. I'd defiantly will be back to stay at 40 winks for another special night.
Also chatting with David was very inspirational and would love to have longer conversation with him one day over some tea or glass of wine.
I think non of words can be enough to describe 40 Winks.
We just loved every moments of stay since we stepped in the David's world.

Huge thank you for the special stay David.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rio4764
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you so much for the great review!!! So pleased you both enjoyed your stay, and look forward to seeing you back here again very soon.

All best,

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We were lucky, to make a reservation at 40 Winks and had a realy great weekend in London. David Carter created a very unique and lovely place. He is a very friendly host, who cares about his guests. He recommended us beautiful markets, restaurants and cafes. 40 Winks was the perfect place to be close to the hip East end and the famous London sights. If you prefer a unique accomodation to a boring standard hotel, 40 Winks is the choice. Thanks a lot, Rolf & Nadine

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Hi Rolf and Nadine,

Thank you so much for the kind review... it was a pleasure to meet you and your children. So pleased you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you back here again in the future.