“Escaping reality”
Review of 40 Winks

We can't find prices for this accommodation
40 Winks
Ranked #6 of 558 London B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Escaping reality”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My partner and I spent just one night in this enchanting place and whilst I wish we could've stayed longer, the magic of David's home had a huge impact on us even after this short time. We were looking for some escapism from the monotony of London life (we live in London) and I stumbled across this hidden gem. We felt as if we had been transported to another time and place. The house itself is beautiful, inspiring and enchanting, a feast for the senses. The room was bright, refreshing and very comfortable and the bathroom (bath) was pure indulgence! David was a true British gentleman, welcoming us into his home and sharing with us some of his exciting ideas to change the world. We left feeling invigorated and inspired, even though we were only 20 minutes from home! If you are passing through London or even if you live here and want to escape your reality for a bit, for a very reasonable price, I thoroughly recommend giving David a visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Hi Leonie,

Thank you so much for the very kind review!!!

It was lovely to meet you both and hope to see you back again soon.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Fabulous amazing decor... stunning rooms, used a photoshoot.. Owner extremely friendly and helpful :) Gorgeous copper bath! Great location near the tube. If you like interiors, then this is definitely the place for you. The only gripe, as that there was not more sound insulation in the windows. But as a listed building very tricky to do, you are in central London, so be aware of the noise. Fabulous boutique Bijou B&B, would defo stay again :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the kind review!!!

We are always looking at ways to improve guest experiences, but, as you correctly point out, making changes to a three hundred year old listed house can be challenging. However, we have recently just upgraded the windows in the double room, incorporating special 'acoustic' glass to help reduce any street noise.

Hopefully you will notice the difference when you next come and stay.

David Carter
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 12 July 2014

40 Winks is a pure gem of sheer echoes of childhood and all wisdoms from a by gone era with the foundation strongly placed in comparison to a some what version of punch and Judy on momentary pause suffocated with charm and endless tones of whispering enchantment.
Truly a delightful and very special wonder world of an adults Alice in Wonderland to which is clearly of your very own play to play out..
I will most definitely be back soonest when time allows.
Much Fondest Wishes to the ever so fabulous D Carter (Owner)

Room Tip: Two Rooms available both of exquisite muchness. I chose the Double Room overlooking the main road. W...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Margarita A
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Hi Margarita,

Thank you so much for the lovely review!!!

It was a delight to meet you, and I hope to see you again the next time you are here in London.

All the very best,

Rosenheim, Germany
Reviewed 12 June 2014

In June 2014 I spend three days at 40 Winks with David.
Already when I booked a room, I expected to find a special place, but my expections were far exceeded. To dwell with David, is to enter as in a work of art an become acquainted with the artist.
David is a very special Person, creativ, intelligent, warm an extraorinary polite. Upon my arrivel David was already waiting for me to welcome me an help me with my suitcase.
When the door opened, I stepped - from the hurried Mile End Road - into another world. The house already exuded a magical atmosphere in the hallway. I felt like Alice in Wonderland! Each room in wich I looked, was even more beautiful than the room before. The decor of each room is tantamount to a composition. Many wounderful things like armchairs, mirrors, floor lamps, pillows, soft toys ... have been collected to settin up an artwork. You can feel how much love David has invested in the creation. But David loves not only beatiful things, he also likes to chat with his guests. He is a witty conversationalist an knows much about foreign people, antiques and
politics. But he also knows all the cool locations for eating out in London and likes to give a recommendation.
But best of all was the super comfortable bed, where I slepped wonderfull. In the golden bathroom I felt like a princess as well!
I very much enjoyed my stay at 40 Winks with David and hope to come soon again.
Christin from Germany

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Christin W
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Hi Christin,

Thank you so much for the lovely review!!!! It was a pleasure to have you here, and hope to see you back here again soon.

Have a fantastic weekend.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This review is long, long. LONG overdue; to be honest, I have had trouble crafting the words to describe such a magical place - and I don't toss around the word "magical" often because I find it silly in most contexts, but it's the only way I can begin to describe 40 Winks and David Carter's truly genius command of interior design.

I have always appreciated high quality design for its visual appeal, but never before have I experienced design that crafted the way I felt. 40 Winks made me feel as if I was a tuning fork being ticked on a table top after a lifetime of storage in a dark, dusty drawer. I'm well aware of how fantastical this sounds, but this is my review and that's that. This place is inspirational.

But enough about that. Let me dive into the experience.

40 Winks is quite simple to get to on the Tube, which I only found out after getting a $200 cab from Heathrow. Oops. It was my first time in London and I packed FAR TOO MUCH. When you arrive, there is a small, stylish sign out front that offers only a glimpse into what lies on the other side of the door. Once inside, you are wrapped into a dark, whimsical hallway with grand mirrors, a line of neatly placed shoes (no shoes, please!) and various objects for the eye to snake through. David was incredibly welcoming and I found his personal style so captivating, I wanted to wildly clap with delight. The jackets! The hats! The shoes! Loved it all.

We had a lovely chat in the kitchen over gin cocktails in teacups, where he regaled me with tales of Bedtime Story Nights (do the research, I wasn't there and only have the capacity to try to capture my experience staying at 40 Winks). He also reminded me that this is not the place for people who like to hide in their rooms while traveling - it's a space to converse with some truly interesting minds as they sweep through East London on fashion shoots, writing assignments and all colors of creative endevour.

Walking upstairs to my room, I couldn't help but whisper, "Wow," under my breath. I felt like horribly uncool, but the statement escaped my lips. It's such a visual and tactile playground, one can't help but snake through the hallways and staircases making statements like that.

I could really go on and on and on, but this is really a place you MUST see for yourself. I stayed for a week, traipsing about London and Paris armed with a mental itinerary of chic destinations for dining, shopping and meeting the wonderful characters of London - all provided by David Carter. If you don't stay at 40 Winks at least one night, you're doing yourself a disservice.

I cannot WAIT to come back for a visit to see David and show those I love this beautiful boutique hotel. I know I'll never stay anywhere like it again, and I like that.

Room Tip: This is good for people traveling solo or with a significant other. It's cozy, as it should be...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Shelby206
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Hi Shelby,

Well worth waiting for!!!! What a fabulous review!! Thank you so much for that.

Hope to see you sometime later this year.

All best,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

It's the first time I am the only guest in any hotel ! In fact, in 40 winks, you could be almost the only one to enjoy the greatest part of this magical house. I felt like Alice in wonderland, surprised, sometimes intrigued, and inspired.

In addition, David has a great sense of hospitality and loves creating high quality relations with his guests.

I recommend the experience to anyone like uncommon stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank delphine b
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you Delphine for the lovely review!!!! It was a pleasure to meet you too, and I hope to see you back here again in London soon.

Have a fantastic Summer.

Neustadt an der Weinstrasse, Germany
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This is a highly individual place close to a bus stop and two tube stations with good working wireless lan in your room. The welcome was a bit strange when you are asked if you are staying in the right place (especially after having payed in advance). The breakfast was basic continental and nothing to lift up your heart. Having a shared bathroom for the overnight price being charged does not really make it good value for money. But if you are out for the extraordinary this is the place to look for

Room Tip: The owner requests no street shoes.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Flugwiesel
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
It is always a bit odd when someone writes an anonymous review several months after they visited, but while our reviewer may have found us 'peculiar and highly individual', this is exactly how we found him. Quite why he came to stay with us is a mystery... although judging from his comments it was possibly our proximity to public transport and our good wifi. It certainly wasn't for the reasons most of our guests come here such as the extraordinary design, the good conversation or our ability to enchant and inspire them. The fantastic shops, markets and restaurants in nearby Shoreditch and Spitalfields were not of any interest to him. Instead he chose to spend one of his two nights in London sitting on his own in the cinema, just a couple of minutes walk away.

40 Winks is a very individual hotel with its own pecularities, but this is exactly the point!! It is what makes it so special, and explains why we continue to be rated as one of the best hotels in the world by magazines such as Vogue and Conde Nast Traveller. We have many guests who regularly return to us, and have made many friends around the globe. They come precisely because we are offering something different. While we did our very best to make this guest feel welcome here, the other guests we had staying at the time felt very uncomfortable when he was around, as, I must confess, did I. He is very different from the type of guest we typically have staying both in his appearance and his manners, and I am sure he will be much happier staying somewhere else the next time he decides to visit London.