“Average experience”

Cantina Laredo
Ranked #443 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: Cantina Laredo offers something completely new, a sophisticated approach to traditional Mexican cuisine. Our ethos at Cantina Laredo is to blend old with new by using contemporary and traditional techniques to bring a modern twist to the authentic flavours from all regions of Mexico. The menu is a culinary exploration of Mexico's regional cuisines in search of Mexico's most incredible flavours. Traditional and contemporary techniques combine to produce an intriguing menu that pays homage to authentic Mexican flavours. Emphasis is on the bold and intense flavours with simple presentation using high quality ingredients. Dishes are authentic, but not traditional with a modern approach to recreate classic dishes and invent new ones. The menu has been designed to create a sophisticated, yet informal and relaxed dining experience. There is no set procedure on ordering, dishes are designed to be shared at the table or enjoyed individually.
Reviewed 31 August 2012

The place is normally fully booked but, frankly, it must be because of the location and not the food. The food is hit-and-miss - the salads and the pumpkin soup were very good, while the fajitas were undercooked. The service is OK. I think there may be better options for a dinner.

There are newer reviews for Cantina Laredo

Reviewed 28 August 2012

We have been on a 10 day trip to Europe and stopped in London for a couple days. Out of the 4 restaurants we dined at in London this was the only real disappointment. It was expensive but only because the food wasn't good. I have happily paid a lot more for a great meal and this wasn't even close. I don't think I've had worse chicken fajitas. It seemed as if they assembled the dish on a not hot enough cast iron pan just seconds before it reached the table. The end result was undercooked onions and peppers (the ratio of onions to peppers was 5 to 1) and barely grilled, under seasoned chicken. Fajitas should come out sizzling with carmelized onions and peppers and well grilled/seared chicken. Also I ordered the refried beans which were soupy and bland rather than thick and flavorful. Even the fresh, table side guacamole was just ok. I don't know why this place has so many good reviews. Our meal was a big letdown.

1  Thank Ronni J
Reviewed 28 August 2012

If only I had listened to the negative comments on here and not the positive ones. As far as I'm concerned the negative ones were spot on. Poor service, depressing decor, average/tasteless food and all within a pretty high price range. We had the starter platter which was ok but should be for £20. Everything after that was bland and sloppy (fajita's & seafood enchilladas). I am glad I didnt fall for the 'top shelf guacamole' gimick as I saw other people having it and it didnt seem worth £7. On the plus side, the food did LOOK amazing! all very well presented.

1  Thank ibizaH
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We went in for pre-theatre meal, as TA reviews posted on front door looked great. Restaurant 3/4 empty but we were seated at a table in last corner next to the loos. We politely asked to be re-seated as we did not like the table but were told by the surely waitress that all other tables were booked. As the restaurant was almost empty and it was just 6.15 pm we questioned this but were told we had to wait for another table.
Instead we left the restaurant and went for a lovely meal at the nearby Suda Thai (see my review).
Would I return or recommend? Definitely not. There are plenty of other restaurants around that appreciate our customs.

3  Thank Trolli
Reviewed 25 August 2012

There is now a new must see for all travelling or living in London. I have travelled the world and been in nearly every kind of restaurant going. This is by far the best experience I've had dinning. The service is second to none with a knowledge dontof food, wine a more important tequila! I never thought there was more to tequila than a slammer or with a slice and salt. Also frozen margaritas are worth going to London for. Now to the best bit. This is now officially THE best place for a steak in the world. This title was held by Balducci's Cape Town until last Saturday night. The filet steak is now the heavy weight champion of the world! There is a Guacamole chef that will make you the guacamole at your table that makes you think that you've been eating swamp mud up until then. As for value for money, I can tell you all now that we can all afford to go there twice a week. Go see Big Ben, Leicester square and now Cantina Laredo . If you can only do one thing it's the Restaurant! PS I don't do deserts but my friends had a apple pie and a chocolate brownie on a hot slate with cinnamon ice cream that i will be ordering every time. Thanks for reading and do your self a favour and try it.