“The hunt for the seediest hotel in London (part one)”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Stress Less Budget Rooms
Ranked #665 of 824 Speciality Lodging in London
Southampton
“The hunt for the seediest hotel in London (part one)”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

When working in London I used to get bored of the usual faceless, nationwide chains offering the exact same rooms, views, meals and reminders of how we can all save the world by drying off on wet towels throughout the stay.

This is when I decided to set a budget and try to find at least one 'interesting' hotel to stay at when working in the capital; 'Stress Less' is certainly worth a mention. Now I did stay at the one in Leyton and eventually found it down a very long road. It looked like any other house and I stayed at the top of the stairs in an attic room that meant if I got up to quickly from the bed I would knock myself out. However, it is the Stress Less in Hoe Street that deserves the plaudits!

For those that are not familiar with London, this Stress Less is in Walthamstow E17. It is at the end of the line on the tube and has excellent bus routes. Walthamstow itself can be a bit intimidating but it is a friendly enough part of East London and has pubs, cafes and restaurants to keep you topped up. There was a fair amount of regeneration going on when I was there so I expect there to be a lot more to do at night now. The good news is that if you are a businessman with sore shoulders that is after a massage, the ground floor of this establishment seemed to be one that would offer you a happy ending to a stressful day!

The picking up of the key was hilarious as my Mandarin was as bad as the "receptionist's" English. But after a lot of pointing I was giving a key and told to go through a door, up some stairs, and through another door to the room. The room was a double. It had an attempt at a curtain over the main road. There were also cupboards, a sink, a bed, another bed in a box, some dumb bells, some plugs from the 1950s and a toilet/shower that you had to hold your breath to squeeze into. If you can imagine a documentary about squalid living you can imagine this room. My first stop was Argos to buy some towels as there were none provided (except one that looked like it had been used to suffocate a rat). I had to share the room with some mould on the walls and ceiling, but it was friendly enough. The decor was based on bodily fluids, which did give the room a somewhat Dickensian charm.

On the whole I could not recommend this place to anyone except those seeking a bit of a thrill and adventure. I don't think I could stay for longer than two nights without the 'novelty' wearing off, or possibly catching some Victorian disease!

One best avoided unless you want to relive a couple of scenes from 'Mona Lisa' (the film, not the painting!)

Room Tip: Buy a gas mask. Actually, probably best to hire a Bio Hazard Suit. And a stab proof vest.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Nick C

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Everything! Dirty sheets, no toilet paper, mould and vomit on the walls, no curtains... I had a small black bin liner covering half of a window! My wardrobe was broken, the hob and microwave were broken! Me and my mum booked for two nights but left after one night due to the shocking conditions with no refund! They may continue to change their name but the same poor housing remains! I have never felt so disgusted at a place! There's a reason the rooms are so cheap! I love hostels and have stayed in many but this is just a joke! They take your money up front BEFORE taking you to where you'll be staying... I should have known at that point to get out!! Please don't be fooled by the price! How environmental health or trading standards hasn't picked up on them I don't know! Its just awful my mum
was in tears at the smell and sight if the place!

• Stayed November 2011
6 Thank Shazzy5679
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I travelled to london this weekend and was ment to be staying at 37 colville road, leyton. On arriving me and my family had to wait at the doorstep whilst the owner sorted out what we think was a 'drug deal'. After ten minutes of waiting in the cold we was finally let in were we was greeted by an asian fella sat in his underpants in the living area on his laptop. He and the fella who showed us inside started to speak in their native tongue and started laughing which made us feel very uneasy. shortly after i asked to use the toilet and was horrified when i found human waste all over the down stairs toilet. As i returned to the living area there was a door leading to a downstairs bedroom so i looked in. The bedding was absolutly filthy and it looked like a squat. Me and my family left the address 10 minutes after arriving never to return. we had to return to central london to find our own accomodation with little money and little knowledge of the city. I wouldnt like my worst enemy to see what we seen !! Close the place down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed November 2011, travelled with family