“Disgusting! We were scheduled for two nights, and checked out after one might.”

Hostel Strand Continental
Ranked #342 of 557 London B&B and Inns
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I was in London two nights, after a trip around a few countries. A friend booked this place and wanted us all to stay together. I get there, I did not want to stay. But we agreed to just stay the night. They gave us a room on the 5th floor, and there is no elevator (walk up). The rooms are the worst and most disgusting part. The rugs are filthy! The bathrooms are dangerous! The staff is not very helpful.
Thankfully, we checked out and moved to a 5 star hotel across town, and for just 40 pounds more a night.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank CeeeeP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Baginton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2011

This hotel is the perfect place to stay for a weekend if you're seeing a show. We paid £75 for a double room, which is an amazing price for the location. Staff were friendly and helpful, even allowing us to leave our luggage after we'd checked out. The phrase "you get what you pay for" is pretty accurate here. The only downside was due to other guests banging doors and shouting. Hardly the fault of the hotel. Don't listen to the negative reviews. Great location, great price and we will definitely be coming back to this hotel in the future!

• Stayed December 2011
7 Thank AmyLouiseD
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I stayed here with my son for just one night basic,clean and extremely friendly.The Lyceum Theatre is right opposite 30 second walk! People made us extremely welcome, made a fuss of my 6 year old son even giving him milk before bedtime. We paid for a private room felt safe, sheets were clean and sink in room was clean. Furniture basic but everything was fine for just one night. Indian restaurant is open to the public within the hostel and worth trying out. I'm returning Christmas 2011 with my son, other reviews for hostels in London are too scary. I fully recommend this one and I'm a fuss pot.

Room Tip: Definitely check out their Indian Restaurant
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank JulesandJoey65
oslo
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Stayed at this place one night and that was one too many. The place is delapidated and dirty. Smells of stale cooking. The whole place needs rehabilitation or demolition. No fire extinguishers or signs on bedroom doors.Window was not possible to open, even though escape was right outside blocking view.Dirty room with jumble sale furniture and bed linen.The towel provided was unfit for a dog.Curtain was hanging like a rag .Door lock was pitifull and pathetic.Breakfast was a joke ..Staff didn`t want to know , when queried.They also tried to cheat me out of £10 deposit for key when returned. Communial toilet and bathroom are a nightmare.This is no hotel . its a doss house. 4 D standard ...Disgusting , dirty, dangerous and degrading..Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Find a hotel , not this place. You dont need to take pets here , there are enough creatures crawling...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank peejayb54

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Reviewed 11 August 2011

I have just returned from a one night stay in Hotel Strand Continental with my mum. We went to the Lyceum at night, and whilst everyone else was busy catching taxis, we simply walked a crossed the road and into the hotel/B&B - I couldn't have asked for a better location.

The room was clean (i dont know how people can complain about dirty bed sheets) and although it wasnt ensuite with a shower and toilet on every floor, there was a sink provided in each room. The room was reasonably spacious with plenty of drawers and a wardrobe and soap is provided. However the curtain didnt seem to close properly, leaving a large gap at one end. The one thing I missed most was probab;y my bed, as the bed there was uncomfortable and the pilow was very thin offering no support.

A continental breakfast is provided in the mornings and if you are up early enough you can grab a nice seat by the window. I advise you to bring your own box of tisues as there aren't any supplied.
Also if you have trouble climbing many flights of stairs, this hotel really isnt for you - the lift doesnt work.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here and, if we were to stay in london again overnight, we would probably choose here. It is low budget, great location, andno less than I expected considering the price.

ps There is no room service, childrens activites, spa or fitness centre, so I just put 'Not sure'.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Koolkat8910
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Having read previous reviews I was a little wary of my stay but have now decided that people have completely unrealistic expectations! Yes there are no ensuites but this is made clear on their website or on other booking sites - besides, the toilets and shower rooms are not far away and were clean (although soap in the toilet would have been good! There was, however, soap in my room so it wasn't too much of an issue). The rooms are basic but with plenty of storage and sink and mirror. No tv? So what, it's a basic hostel. What did you really expect? The sheets were clean and the furniture was new. Granted the walls could have done with a fresh lick of paint and the carpets should probably be replaced, but it was clean enough. And as a previous reviewer has said, it would not be possible for them to install a lift (although carrying heavy luggage up to the 5th floor was not pleasant). I didn't try the breakfast or the restaurant so can't comment on these. £55 for a private single room is a little steep given what you get, but the location is fantastic. The only downside of my stay was being woken very early by other inconsiderate guests who repeatedly slammed their doors (why the people next to me were constantly going in and out of their rooms every 30 seconds is beyond me) and talked loudly, but that's not the hostel's fault.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank spivvycarl
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2011

A few earlier reviews were clearly malicious and probably libellous; theyshould be completely disregarded. Of course it's basic: lots of stairs, and structurally impossible to install a lift. But excellent location, very reasonable price, helpful and efficient service and management, recently upgraded furniture and fittings. I would happily stay there again if I had reason to be based in that part of London.

Paul