“not made welcome” 3 of 5 bubbles

La Pergola
Ranked #17,124 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$30 - US$60
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“not made welcome”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We chose the fixed meal and all had veal Milanese which was OK but not exciting, just served with a mixture of English -type vegetables .Service was OK but not very interested. The owners are not making the most of the good position of the restaurant, and the 15 per cent service charge is a cheek!

Visited May 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Oh dear!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

There were some positives. My steak was nice and cooked as ordered. My husband's veal was ok. And my daughter enjoyed her pizza, although made with a thick crust, tomatoes (rather than tomato sauce) and cheddar cheese, it was not much like any Italian pizza that I have ever encountered before.

But the restaurant was tired and fly-blown. The waiter barely spoke English. The wine was an eye-watering £7.95 for a large glass. The same price, incidentally as the prawn cocktail which was my starter. There was nothing particularly wrong with the prawn cocktail but it was very basic of its type and for that price I would have expected something rather special. And while on the subject of price, the menus published on the site are way out of date. Prices have gone up by about 50%.

The potatoes which came with the main course were supposed to be roast. I think they had seen the inside of an oven at sometime in their lives but when they arrived they were soggy and cold. We asked about the veg and were told it would be a selection. What arrived was a couple of bits of broccoli. That was it.

When we asked to see the dessert menu, the waiter said they were not doing any desserts. No desserts on a Saturday evening! What kind of restaurant does that?

As an earlier reviewer has already said, the lesson here is look at Tripadvisor BEFORE you go, not afterwards!

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Frances J
Lawrence, Kansas
“OK for an inexpensive dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Quaint little restaurant with average food and servers that have trouble speaking English. The value was good for a meal but otherwise I would skip it.

Visited March 2014
London, England, United Kingdom
“Horror meal”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

This was a truly awful meal. We went there thinking we would get a quick meal between museums at lunchtime. As a family of four we were sat by the door which meant constant cold winds as the rest of the restaurant was filled with coach trips who traipsed in and out the whole time, leaving the door open. Atmosphere was non-existent, service was poor, food was inedible. We went for pizzas, thinking they couldn't get these wrong. They did. When our kids can't eat pizza you know it's bad. I couldn't recognise anything I tasted on any of the pizzas. They were horrendous. Do NOT eat here - a shocking waste of money.

• Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do you have Money to waste”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We have been La Pergola last night as a family. It looks like an authentic Italian restaurant from outside. Staff are overall helpful but I think the issues comes with the owner and chef who is not good at all. Couple of things which put us off from this restaurant:
1-service is too slow.

2-My wife ordered vegetarian risotto but she was served basmati rice with vegetable yet they confirmed that this is risotto. What a disaster! I can eat almost anything but even I couldn't work on that dish. Most likely they ran out of risotto rice and instead they cooked rice with vegetable and served us assuming that we were alright with that being non-Italian!!!

3- one of the waitress served us was lovely but can't speak English at all and it was like pulling a teeth to complete the order given that my wife is Celiac and check some of our orders would certainly be gluten free.

4-this restaurant is a member of "taste London" so it's 2 for 1. However our lovely waitress was unaware of that and I had to explain to her with a great English conversation! Eventually they discounted risotto which was left uneaten anyway.

5- I ordered a glass of red house wine. Guess what they have charged £ 7.95...it was a smooth nice wine yet I would have buy a bottle for that price!

Overall it was a bad experience and I wouldn't recommend anyone to go this restaurant again however we haven't tried pizzas and they may be all right with your own risk...

• Visited December 2013