“Awful” 1 of 5 bubbles

La Pergola
Ranked #17,103 of 22,199 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$30 - US$59
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Rugeley
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

It take a lot for me to write a bad review, in fact any review. I regard restaurant reviews as often a vehicle to be anonymously spiteful, mean and petty. In this case I do so as a warning.
I took my wife to London for the weekend. It was the first time for her and I was determined to make an effort. After a long first day visiting the Tower, Tower Bridge, HMS Belfast and London Bridge we saw a show (the Commitments). Everything was great until I decided to visit La Pergola, near our hotel on the Cromwell Road. It was awful. Doors wide open, no music, tawdry and worn, my soup was cold and tasteless, my wife's seafood soup at nearly 9 pounds was old and frankly, rubbish. Her pasta was dying on the plate and cold, my steak fatty and full of gristle, covered with a mush of tomato-gluten. Vegetables cold and flaccid. A screaming kid in a corner behind us provided the cabaret as its mother ordered chips. One orange juice and one beer later - 60 pounds. No detail of prices on a bill, just a slip with 60 quid written on it. Utter rubbish. Do not touch it with a bargepole.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Dave M

St. John's, Canada
“Better Italian in this area”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This restaurant was close to our hotel and my husband wanted Italian so we gave it a try. It is a small restaurant with paper napkins and tablecloths. Service was OK and the food was mostly so-so. Their is a large menu with fish dishes being the main items. We were not interested in seafood so I ordered a vegetable fettuccine and my husband had spaghetti with meat sauce. The meal came with garlic bread which was excellent unlike the rest of the meal. The sauce on the fettuccine was very salty and I could not eat most of it. The so called meat sauce on the spaghetti was almost invisible, perhaps a magnifying glass could have located it. I would suggest going elsewhere for Italian, the Theatre District would be a good choice.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dianne228
London, United Kingdom
“nice and simple”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Helpful and friendly staff, not rushed whilst choosing food. Food arrived in good time and was tasty and had a nice flavour. I'll be going back.

Visited August 2014
“Don't eat here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

So many lovely restaurants to choose from but we ate here because it was late and was opposite our hotel. Nice people but tasteless food. Should have looked on tripadvisor first as reviews are correct. Avoid this place.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“not made welcome”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We chose the fixed meal and all had veal Milanese which was OK but not exciting, just served with a mixture of English -type vegetables .Service was OK but not very interested. The owners are not making the most of the good position of the restaurant, and the 15 per cent service charge is a cheek!

Visited May 2014