“Excellent hotel”

Corinthia Hotel London
Ranked #13 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Stayed 2 nights in January. Went to relax and do a small amount of sightseeing and it was perfect for that. Located in Whitehall - it is 2 minutes from Embankment Pier where you can catch the Tate to Tate river boat which is a great way to do that trip. The hotel is also near the tube (Embankment and Charing Cross are steps away if you need them). Taxis on demand as you would expect. Gorgeous room - I was in whatever the standard one is. It had a very comfortable bed, fabulous bathroom and tea and coffee facilities. The hotel is incredibly soundproof. Service was very pleasant and mostly very efficient. I did notice that the staff (including the concierge desk) were younger and possibly a little less experienced than you would expect in a hotel in this price bracket but I had no issues with the service in any case - all very friendly and eager to please. Foodwise I had room service one night and it was excellent - best I have ever had anywhere. Ate in Massimo for lunch and it was also very good. The other restaurant also looked good but didn't have a chance to try it. Afternoon tea in the lobby area (which is beautiful) looked fantastic although I didn't get to indulge. The spa is amazing and definitely worth a visit but I would skip the spa cafe - had breakfast there one morning and it really was ruinously expensive (perhaps to be expected) and very average (not expected). You might want to note that children are allowed in the spa for an hour in the morning and again in the afternoon - check with the spa reception for details. I would highly recommend this place for a relaxing break if you have the time to relax in the hotel and enjoy the facilities.

Room Tip: Suspect they are all lovely - I was facing an internal courtyard and it was very quiet but I doubt n...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Tigs1
MathewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Thank you for your review & for highlighting our very central location. We take great pride in providing beautifully luxurious and comfortable rooms with the finest bedding & facilities, including the Nespresso coffee machine you have mentioned.

Regarding our younger looking members of staff, we certainly have a very diverse team who each brings with them plentiful experience, training & a passion for providing prestigious service; I am glad to hear that you found them friendly and eager to please.

We hope that you will visit us again & have the opportunity to experience our other restaurant, The Northall, and our traditional British Afternoon High Tea. It is unfortunate that the spa lounge did not live up to your expectations – this feedback is highly appreciated as we continue to develop our menus.

The ESPA Life swimming pool is open to children between 10am – 11.30am and again from 3pm – 4.30pm. We hope to welcome you back soon for another relaxing break.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,661)

Reviewed 11 January 2012

I stayed here following the recommendation of someone who stayed at my guest house. I'd planned a 2 night trip to London, but changed that to one night at the Corinthia when I heard about the 24 hour checkin, deciding to "sacrifice" the 2 nights for an upgrade in hotel..... This it turns out was not a sacrifice...... I checked in at around 10 am, and checked out around 8pm the following day........my stay was truly exceptional.. From the moment I checked in, to the moment I left....... I had booked a winter warmer stay, which included dinner.... However I was disorganised and by the time I got round to trying to book a table for dinner, there was no availability, so they organised our dinner to be served in the room.... It was lovely, including wine etc..... The room was so comfortable...... And felt really luxurious... Especially watching tv in the bath! The spa floor, absolutely blew me away..... So relaxing .....
Breakfast had a great variety and was delicious... (included in the price) though I wouldn't have wanted to pay the prices if it hadn't been included... I recall approx £7 for boiled eggs and toast!
All staff were so helpful and genuinely interested in how our stay was, something I have never experienced in such a large establishment. I think it would be very difficult to ever stay anywhere else in London without now being disappointed, as I'm not sure the Corinthia can be beaten...

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank LolaOxford
MathewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

I was so pleased to read that you not only had an exceptional stay here, but also that we surpassed your expectations. It is wonderful to see that our flexible check-in/check-out policy allowed you to relax for as long as possible. With the many benefits of the ‘Winter Warmer’ package & access to the incredible ESPA Life thermal floorincluded in every stay, a late check-out is a certainly a bonus.

Our restaurants are doing very well and have been rather busy so I am happy to hear that you were able to experience The Northall’s fine cuisine in the comfort of your room. We deliberately use many of the same suppliers for our room service menu, which is the same as The Northall; one of my favourites being Maldon Oysters in Essex who supply the restaurant’s wild rock oysters. We hope that you are able to experience The Northall’s ambiance on your next visit, or perhaps even taste our Afternoon High Tea.

I really appreciate that you found our team to be so helpful and genuine & that you believe Corinthia Hotel London cannot be beaten. This is fantastic to hear and we certainly aim to live up to this belief. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Many thanks for your kind review.

Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed at the Corinthia at the end of a fun but tiring three week jaunt through different cities. During our trip, we stayed at some really lovely hotels, but the Corinthia blew us away. They've really thought of everything (in fact, an employee told me they built a model room and different managers spent time sleeping in it, so as to tweak the details).

Our room was very well-designed. Foyer, large walk-in closet, very roomy bath, and comfortable furniture. Nothing was awkward, nothing was disappointing, nothing was missing. On the wall by the desk, there is every kind of electric outlet--so handy.

Loved the fantastic Whitehall location.

We also had some spa treatments; they were excellent. Their spa feels somewhat futuristic--you descend down through four levels of treatment and equipment rooms--the bottom level is very clean but dimly lit, and echo-ey, with a stainless steel pool and large, fiery-looking sunken sauna. For massage, Sinead is an excellent, knowledgeable therapist with strong hands that know to go exactly where they are needed.

We had a very good dinner in Massimo one night--the next night ventured out to Ottolenghi, which I'd been trying to try. (Did not disappoint!) There is also another restaurant within the hotel, as well as a bar. And the large, chic lobby is always available with plenty of comfortable chairs and small tables for drinks and snacks.

A great bonus? They have a "rolling admissions" policy--there is no set check-in or check-out time. Our flight didn't leave Heathrow till 6:30pm and it was so lovely and civilized to have a leisurely last day, without worrying about killing time/storing bags.

Can hardly wait to return.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank epilogue

I was delighted to read how much you had enjoyed your stay at the Corinthia London. A lot of thought and planning went into the design of our bedrooms, the majority of which are in excess of 45 sqm and we believe provide the most spacious and comfortable accommodation in London.
A stay at the hotel is not complete without a visit to ESPA Life at Corinthia. The Spa is a very special feature of the hotel, situated over four floors and offers some wonderful treatments. It is always a great motivation for our team to get a mention by name and I am sure Sinead will be delighted to hear your feedback.
We have pioneered a 24 hour check in /check out policy which means that whatever time you arrive or depart the hotel, your room will be available. We understand that our guests have varied travel plans and this policy really does help with the logistics of travel. I am really pleased to hear that you appreciated this and were able to take advantage of it.
We hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 10 January 2012

I had the pleasure of stay at The Corinthia few weeks ago. The hotel is brand new and trully luxury but still cosy and welcoming. I stayed in one of the superior rooms and it was absolutely stunning; spacious, sparkling clean and had all the little details that you could expect from a top luxury 5 stars property (charging almost £500.00 per room per night) I loved the floating remote controler for the TV on the bathroom! I decided to spend the whole day at the hotel (believe me; once you get in the hotel you don't want to go out!), had a georgeous english breakfast on bed and after I went to the SPA...The SPA is simply amazing, the best in town no doubt!I also had the chance to experience both Massimo and The Northall (restaurants) I loved Massimo, great seafood (amazing oysters selection) and reasonable value but I found The Northall quite standard and a bit over priced for what it is although it's cheaper than Massimo I would recomend to try this one. The Corinthia is a luxury property but still cosy and home feeling. The rates are high (very high) but the hotel is lovely and the service amazing.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank EventsOrganizer

Thank you very much for your review. It is a pleasure to hear that you did not want to leave the hotel and what better start to your day than to enjoy our beautifully cooked English breakfast in bed. A visit to our Spa, ESPA Life at Corinthia is definitely something that every guest should experience. Massimo Restaurant & Oyster Bar is our Mediterranean seafood restaurant and I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the restaurant. We hope to be able to welcome you back to the Corinthia London soon.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We spent the Christmas week at the Corinthia and we had a fantastic stay. From the moment we walked into the hotel lobby, then to our suite, we felt instantly relaxed... and almost didn't want to leave! :) we loved our room with a nice walk-in closet where we could leave our luggages and clothes all separated from the rest of the room, while easily accessible between wardrobe and bathroom. Staff team is fantastic, impeccable service and attention to details. We fell sick on Boxing day and ended up being in the room for most part of the day (we LOVED our suite!). Room service made us chicken noodle soup for dinner even it wasn't on the menu! We had 2 dinners at Northall and breakfasts at the hotel and food was just amazing. Although Northall has a fantastic team each with different responsibilities like a traditional 5-6 stars restaurants, we think the coordination will take a bit time to completely gel together seamlessly as it is a very young restaurant. Don't get me wrong, service is great and staff are nothing but only friendly.
The spa, definitely one of the best spas i have ever been at. We have been to many world class spas and ESPA is hands-down top of my list! From spa lay-out, design, ambiance, staff, service, EVERYTHING was perfect! We spent almost 2 full days at the spa using the facilities and various treatments. Incredible experience!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank r0ckerchic

I was delighted to read your comments following your stay at the Corinthia London. It is very encouraging to me and to my team to read how much you enjoyed the service we provide, which is such a vital element of a guest’s experience at the Corinthia. I am sorry to hear that you were unwell during your stay, but am happy to hear that we were able to provide you with something you wanted to eat even though it was not on the In Room Dining menu. It is these extra service touches that make the difference to a guest’s stay.

Thank you for your feedback about your experience of The Northall as it is important for me to hear this. We do have a great team in the restaurant and I know they will be encouraged by your kind words to strive to provide that seamless service that is so important.
I am very glad to hear you were able to enjoy ESPA Life at Corinthia also and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Fantastic location, particularly if you are wanting to visit all the tourist spots in London. We visited for my wifes 50th birthday. Hotel were great in organising our visit, the admin team were fantastic.
My wife used the espa spa, which is also stunning and had 2 treatments. Kindly they gave us a great upgrade to a lovely room. So why only 2 stars?
Dinner was just not good enough, we ate in the Northhall, and the food was only ok.....we expected so much more. Also my wife became very ill whilst we were at the hotel. Whilst i am sure they were not to blame and helped as much as they could, i was felt really let down with how they dealt with elements of her illness. In particular really surprised that despite writing a letter to the General Manager, we have still not heard anything back. Just not what you expect from a 5 star hotel costing this much money.
So as the heading says i really want to be so much more positive with the hotel, but just cant write a review that says that based on my experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
18  Thank pppp4040
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Corinthia for a week, right before Christmas. We were extremely happy and would recommend the hotel to everyone. As we were very jetlagged (traveling from the west coast of the US), we kept waking up at odd hours, starving. The Corinthia has 24-hour room service -- and by that they mean _full_ room service. The first two nights of our stay we were starving by 3 or 4 in the morning, and asked if our breakfast could be delivered early. A full cooked breakfast arrived, piping hot, within 20 minutes! It was served with a smile AND a lovely glass globe with an orchid bloom in it (little elegant touches such as that are found everywhere in the hotel). I think it's pretty darned impressive for a hotel to turn out a perfect 3-minute poached egg via room service at 3am.

The rooms are gorgeous -- the decor is modern yet elegant and inviting. The public areas of the hotel are also truly lovely, although we didn't have much time to enjoy them (our schedule was packed). Our first room was right by the elevators, and I was concerned about noise. Don't worry, promised the front desk clerk. Our rooms are very well-insulated. How right she was!! We couldn't hear any elevator-related noise at all (and I have scary bat-like hearing). In fact, if I was brushing my teeth and my husband was in the bedroom, we couldn't hear one another through the partially-closed partition doors that separated the two rooms. The only problem was the windows -- our first room looked out onto the street, and the windows are not well-insulated, so the traffic noise (delivery trucks really start doing their thing around 2:30am) bothered me. We ended up switching to an inner courtyard room, and that did the trick. No more 3am breakfasts after that. :o)

Something else that really matters to me, as a frequent traveler, is the gym. The Corinthia's gym is really something else. In addition to a very complete array of cardio and weight-training equipment, they also have a power-plate and a pully-system machine. Most importantly to me, they had everything I needed for a good mat pilates workout (balls, bosu, foam rollers, etc.). The gym is open 24 hours by secure access, and there are security camera everywhere, so I felt very comfortable as a woman exercising alone at 3am. I'm only sorry that our schedule did not leave me enough time to see or sample the spa facilities, which I am sure are extraordinary, if the rest of the hotel is any indication.

The hotel's location was perfect -- steps away from the Tube, and a brief walk away from the Old Vic. The neighborhood is safe and clean. The hotel staff are very, very helpful. Oh -- did I mention that check-in and check-out is rolling, to accomodate those flying in and out at odd hours? This is a hotel that seeks to anticipate guest needs in every possible way.

Room Tip: Rooms within the same category can have different layouts -- some have foyers and walk-in closets, o...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank LiteraryChick123

I was delighted to read your review of your most recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel London. Our In Room Dining menu draws on both our Northall restaurant and Lobby Lounge menus so that we provide a really appealing offering of seasonal British dishes. I am very pleased that you appreciated both the service and the quality of the food.

Our Courtyard facing rooms do provide very peaceful accommodation and we have pioneered a 24 check-in/check-out policy which means that your room is available whatever time you arrive or depart as we understand this is a great to benefit for many of our guests who are travelling.

Our gym is a first class facility with all the latest equipment and is an important part of the fitness concept we have developed within ESPA Life at Corinthia. Fitness at ESPA Life is devised and delivered by personal trainer to the athletic elite, Stephen Price and is all about helping you to gain optimal fitness in a way that suits your lifestyle. I do hope on your next visit you are able to experience the other aspects of ESPA Life and possibly enjoy one of our luxurious Spa treatments.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.