“Very nice property”

Corinthia Hotel London
Ranked #12 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Once you get past the sticker shock, which isn't limited to this hotel but London in general, you can enjoy your stay. I traveled with a group and although our rates were the same we found our rooms to be quite varied in size. Closets were almost non exsistent in some rooms while others had enourmous space. Telephones in the rooms were frustrating. They frequently went into the do not disturb mode and needed the hotel operator to turn it off. Another annoyance was the lack of an outlet in the bathroom. It made it very difficult to use a hair dryer.

The atrium is beautiful with its Baccarat chandelier and lovely tea service. Bed was comfortable and the room very clean. The Spa is very nice with some services priced as expected while others seemed out of sync. A deluxe manicure and pedicure was just average (no cuticle triming and a very short massage) but very expensive (155 GBP).
Just 2 blocks from Trafalger Square and within walking distance to Westminister Abbey, the Corinitha is a luxury property that is still working out some new hotel issues.

If I found myself back in London and could negotiate a good rate, I'd go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Arewethereyet?SF
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Thank you for your review of Corinthia London. I am sorry to hear that you experienced problems with our room telephone but I am glad to hear that our team assisted in amending this. As you mentioned, our bedroom offerings do vary in shape and size with the majority of them being in excess of 45 sqm; a large majority of these feature walk-in-closets, however, there are those without this feature which understandably would feel smaller in comparison.

Concerning the absence of a full plug outlet in the bathroom, unfortunately, we are unable to provide these for health and safety reasons within the bathroom environment. Because of this each of our rooms includes a mobile mirror which can be placed within a convenient distance to the plugs within the room. This mirror is kept in different locations within the room, depending on the room type and this should have been explained to you on arrival during our orientation of the room. I am very sorry if this was not the case.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our tea service in the Lobby Lounge and had the opportunity to enjoy our Spa, ESPA Life at Corinthia. I will certainly share your observations regarding the pricing with the team and many thanks for sharing this valuable feedback with us.

I do hope to welcome you back to Corinthia London again in the future.

Regards
Matthew Dixon

Write a ReviewReviews (2,613)

Reviewed 19 June 2012 via mobile

I have been looking for a great 5 star hotel near my office for years and today I found it.

This really is great

Rooms exceptional, great service and top restaurants and bars. You can't go wrong if you stay here

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Corinthia Hotel London & that you found us to be ideally located for your needs. I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Regards

Reviewed 18 June 2012

At 500GPB per night I just expected more. Yes the hotel oozes luxury and charm. Yes the staff are (generally) attentive to your every whim. Yes the spa is spectacular if you have the time to indulge.

But why am I marking it down? 2 reasons, which would not have bothered me in a hotel that was not claiming the Corinthia's level of excellence.
1: Air conditioning performance in room
I stay in many hotel rooms and this is the first where the controls have defeated me and the staff, and which was unable to be rectified. During the first night we set the temp to 22 deg, on auto. It just continued to blow and blow and blow cold air, directly onto the bed - making the room unpleasantly cold but unfortunately not cold enough to overcome the heat being generated by a doona that was better suited to extreme Arctic conditions. Turning the a/c off allowed the room to quickly overheat. And it had a mind of its own about coming on and off, regardless of whether turned on or off.
I spoke to the staff the next day about this, who advised me that evening that the engineers had checked it out and confirmed all was ok. Alas this was not to be the case, as we faced a second night with the same problem (although we had the doona replaced with a cotton blanket). The hotel sent up a member of staff to check on the problem, and after going through it with us he agreed the 'auto' control was not working, most likely because the thermostat was located away from the vent of the bed, in a part of the room that was warmer, and which would never cool. Hence the thermostat or would never reach our desired temperature, while we slowly froze. Another hot night without a/c. By this time we gave up and resigned ourselves to our fate on subsequent nights.

2: Breakfast quality, seating, attention and availability
The quality of breakfast is not as good as that enjoyed at most 4 star hotels, let alone 5 star or luxury. One type of eggs (scrambled), very very limited range of cold meats/fish and breads, and all in tiny serves. (And in case management read this and suggest we could have ordered from the menu, my response would be that we found that too confusing - could we order from the menu while choosing from the buffet as a supplement, or was it one or the other. The menu, which is the size of a broadsheet, is too complex)
The staff had perfected the art of looking but not seeing, hence once seated it became very difficulty, for example, to order a coffee. Staff walked by us repeatedly without us being able to attract their attention. And when we were able to place a coffee order it took an interminable amount of time, and on two different meal occasions having to ask at least twice.
If you do have breakfast there, avoid sitting on the lounge/bench seats. For some reason in recent years a feature of design has been seating which is too low for, and too far from, the tables. Select the individual seats if you prefer comfort.
ANd finally, having an early check out on Sunday morning I thought I would get down to breakfast early, and was quite surprised to find they did not start serving breakfast till 7, later than other days. Granted some people may sleep in, but I was disappointed to find a luxury hotel who could not cater to people who left early no matter what day. Yes I could have ordered room service, but it never entered my mind that they might open later. Mea culpa.

As I said at the start, I could put up with these things in a hotel of a lesser standard at a cheaper price, but the Corinthia should not miss the mark on these levels of comfort

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
18  Thank Mariner59
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

I very much understand why you have marked us down. From experience we know that one of the factors guest most have comments about is the temperature of their bedroom and it was disappointing we didn’t solve the problem for you the first time we went to the room. I believe that in our set up of the hotel all thermostats were in the correct position but I am going to be reviewing this with our Chief Engineer.

I appreciated also reading your comments about breakfast. We have this week simplified our breakfast offering on the a la carte menu so that guests can continue to have as much choice as possible but find their dishes as quickly as possible. At the same time we have made some significant improvements to the layout and appearance of the buffet which is always one of the key factors in making the offering attractive and visually appealing.

I would not like to think that it is your fault concerning our later time for starting breakfast on Sundays. We should have taken the opportunity to let you know this when you arrived at the hotel so you could have been pre prepared for making the appropriate arrangements for an early departure on the Sunday morning. I am sure if you return you will see marked improvement in these areas.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

Had an overnight hotel & theatre break at the Corinthia.
It's brilliantly located a short distance from Trafalgar Square, Westminster & the bridge across to the London eye.
When you first get there, it is very stylish but not overly stuffy. Our room was an executive room with a small balcony overlooking the central courtyard. It had a large bathroom & dressing room. The hotel gave us a complimentary bottle of wine for our anniversary which was a lovely touch. Breakfast was either choose 'a la carte' English or buffet.
The real 'wow' factor came from the spa. We used it twice & it is the most sumptuous we have seen. The real highlight being the 'VITALITY POOL' basically a small swimming pool sized jacuzzi. The best we've encountered anywhere.
If there are negatives (& I'm being picky), hotel prices are very expensive & they claim there are no check-in & check-out times. But 2 people came to our door on our day of leaving to see if we'd left & both before 11.15.
The staff were actually lovely & if you want a classy hotel brilliantly located & don't mind paying a few pounds extra (it's better than the Royal Horseguards across the road), then this is for you.

Room Tip: Make time for a visit to the spa even if you're not normally spa users (we're not!).
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SUPERNELLO
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. We are ideally located for those who enjoy the theatre as well as sightseers and business travellers and the hotel is well connected to several transport links.

Congratulations on your anniversary and I am very pleased you chose to celebrate this special occasion at the hotel. Our Executive Rooms are very spacious and do provide extremely comfortable accommodation with added touches of luxury such as walk-in wardrobes, in-built bath tub TVs and standalone rain showers in the beautiful marble bathroom. The Northall is a spectacular venue for breakfast and there is always so much choice. I hope you were able to take full advantage of this.

ESPA life at Corinthiais our award-winning international spa. This pioneering, next-generation spa is spread over 3300m2 on four floors and provides fully integrative lifestyle solutions and luxury spa treatments. Facilities include 17 treatment rooms, a private spa suite, nail studio, indoor pool, vitality pool, amphitheatre sauna, ice fountain, marble heated lounges, private sleep pods, a state-of-the-art gym and Daniel Galvin hair salon. I am so glad you were able to experience this and feel fully relaxed before you returned home.

We do offer a unique 24 hour check in and out service. This works best when we have requested the check in and check out time of our guests prior to arrival. This way we can accommodate the travel plans of all our guests. However, I do apologise that you were disturbed in your room on your day of departure as this should not have happened and I will be following up on this with my team.

We shall look forward to welcoming you back to Corinthia Hotel London soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I have chosen the hotel last year for my regular stays, as the 24hrs check-in/-out policy is very convenient for me. Due to my job I am travelling a lot. I am depending on the flight timings and it was a very pleasant and refreshing surprise to find finally a hotel which offers every guests’ dream: check-in whenever you arrive at the hotel. I was impressed and happy to finally found “my” hotel.
I was always wondering why there weren’t more hotels with this brilliant idea.
But since a couple of months the policy is not quite working anymore. More and more often it is not quite possible to check-in at the requested check-in time although mentioned during making the reservation.
For these occasions I was offered breakfast, coffee in the lounge, using the spa or a room to rest for some time. Alternatives are offered, but that is not what I am expecting at all. It is not what is advertised as a unique selling point on the website. Well, I guess there I have my answer, why not every hotel is using that policy. Thinking about it, it does not work in general. If all rooms are booked and late check-outs are guaranteed, how can guests check-in early?
Another unpleasant situation is the waiting time before being able to get to the desk on some occasions.
The receptionists are in general very friendly and helpful, but you can see their desperation handling the non-stop ringing telephone and the waiting people.
It is a pity as it is a beautiful property, very friendly staff and a great location.
I actually don’t want to search for another hotel, but I sincerely hope that changes are going to be made.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
10  Thank Andrew1971W
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Thank you for your review of Corinthia London. I am sorry to hear that you have found our flexible check-in/check-out policy to not be working quite as efficiently as on previous visits to the hotel. As you quite rightly say, this policy does require great organisation and adaptability between all our departments, however, I believe we are highly capable of providing our guests with this feature and it is important for us to have such feedback so that we can improve. We are very dedicated to successfully providing this unique offering to our guests as we understand how convenient it is; I will certainly be looking into how we can become more efficient in this area. I also appreciate your feedback regarding your recent experience of our Reception area and I will certainly make sure that this is resolved. Again, many thanks for sharing this valuable feedback with us and we look forward to providing you with a fantastic experience on your next visit.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Impecable service as you would expect from an establishment of this standing. I highly recommend that you stay here, if that is not possible then go in and try the afternoon tea. I say everything.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank FirstStrategy

Thank you for your kind recommendation of Corinthia London. It’s a pleasure to see you enjoyed our service and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

This was truly a 5 star hotel experience. Before we even traveled I corresponded with the concierge, Justin, several times making inquiries. He answered all of my questions and took care of my requests perfectly. When we arrived everyone treated us as if we were honored guests. We were celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary and upon entering the room we were greeted with a chocolate cake and a bottle of champagne with a card from the manager. The room itself was huge as well as the bathroom and wardrobe. The cleaning staff made the beds daily and provided turn down service each evening which was a nice touch. We had breakfast in the room one morning and also made several requests during our stay that were always attended to quickly. The hotel has an onsite spa called ESPA. My wife and I both had a massage and highly recommend this to anyone staying at the Corinthia. They have a pool/sauna/steam room/whirlpool area that I used a couple of times and it was very well taken care of and a nice advantage to a hotel if you have an extended stay. The concierge Justin, helped us with reservations several times including on the night of our anniversary as well as two sets of theater tickets. Each of the restaurants and the theater seating were very nice. He even arranged for the hotel car to drive us to dinner. In summary, the manager and entire staff of the Cornithia Hotel have built a wonderful 5 star hotel that everyone should experience. We will be going back.

Room Tip: We were in room 329 which is a courtyard room. The wardrobe was a room of its own. The bathroom and...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nceahuck

It is wonderful to hear that you received a truly 5 star experience at Corinthia London – this is most definitely the sentiment we strive to provide for our guests. I was pleased to read that our Concierge & Front of House team looked after you well and that you enjoyed the welcome gifts upon arrival; we appreciate how important these occasions are to our guests and we are delighted you chose Corinthia London to be a part of your special celebrations. I am glad that you enjoyed our ESPA Life at Corinthia spa and their massage treatments- this is certainly a great way to relax. Many thanks for this very nice review and I do hope to welcome you to Corinthia London again in the future.