“theexpatwife reviews corinthia london”

Corinthia Hotel London
Ranked #14 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Tokyo
“theexpatwife reviews corinthia london”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

In August we had three lovely nights at the Corinthia Hotel in Whitehall Place, London. One of London's best kept secrets, many people don't seem to know about it. The hotel, fully renovated just a few years ago sits in a building dating back to 1885 and the Empire days of Queen Victoria. White Stucco fronted and very imposing, just minutes from Trafalgar Square and the River Thames, it offers a state of the art spa, three restaurants, and four bars. This is my third stay in the hotel and I really love it.

It is classically contemporary, a timeless and extremely elegant design. Marble floors and columns, silver and gold gilted ceilings, extravagant crystal chandeliers, and lavishly adorned with luxurious furnishings and fabrics. All the times I have stayed here, there has been someone famous, the last time I was here, Rhianna and Denzel Washington were staying too. This time someone not so famous, the lady that narrates for the US television show 'Desperate Housewives'.

In the lobby they serve afternoon tea, I had it last time I visited and it was a very elegant and refined affair. This time we actually did not eat at the hotel, except for room service, as we had restaurant bookings elsewhere, but I have eaten at some of the hotel restaurants, and they were very sophisticated, and beautifully decorated.

There is a courtyard atrium in the middle of the building which they have made full use of with open fires and deep cushioned teak sofas and chairs. It was a lovely to spot to have a drink, and is where we meet some of our London friends. Most of them did not know about the hotels existence, and they were really impressed.

The Northall bar is very glitzy. The hotel has an art deco feel going on everywhere. They also serve breakfast in here. Last time I stayed we ate at The Northall restaurant. It was British cuisine, simple and elegant food, and absolutely stunning in terms of decor. Double height ceilings, curved walls, tan leather chairs, silk curtains, and muted tones.

The other restaurant, Massimo, I have yet to try. We did sample the Basoon bar though. There was a three piece jazz band playing, and had a real jazz den feel with very low lighting, and dark leather seating. It was a really nice bar. I highly recommend the Corinthia hotel, it is in my opinion one of the best hotels in London at the moment. Third visit and I still left feeling impressed, glamorous, and wowed! I will definitely be staying again on my next visit to London.

We stayed in a deluxe junior suite and it was beautiful. Silk wallpapers and throws, ultra comfy beds, 3 TVs. The spa is amazing, definitely one of the best in London. On my visit last year they had the fires lit in the spa even though it was summer, however, this time they were never lit. I really missed that aspect, it gave the whole spa experience a drama and surrealism. I'm not sure why they aren't lighting them anymore.

This review is taken from my blog theexpatwife.com. Please visit to see more photos of the hotel, spa, and room.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank theexpatwife
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Thank you for you glowing review of Corinthia Hotel London. As you mentioned the hotel has a fascinating history dating back to 1885 when the building was originally The Hotel Metropole. The government then acquired the property in 1936 when it was converted into the Ministry of Defence building. Corinthia London then returned it to a hotel in 2008 and it was opened in April 2011.

Afternoon Tea is served in the Lobby Lounge underneath the soaring ‘Full Moon’ chandelier. We offer a selection of finger sandwiches, fancies and dessert, which can be enjoyed with a glass of Laurent-Perrier champagne. Afternoon tea can also be experienced in The Courtyard if the weather allows. The central space provides an outdoor area for guest to relax in or to sit and have drinks. I am glad to hear you were able to enjoy the space with your friends

The Northall Restaurant offers views over Victoria Embankment Gardens towards the River Thames and serves seasonal British cuisine made from locally sourced produce from around the British Isles. The adjoining Northall Bar beautifully displays the respectful regeneration of the building and breakfast is served here with a light bar menu throughout the day. It is the perfect place to unwind later in the day. Massimo restaurant and Oyster bar is our Italian restaurant. The design can be attributed to David Collins who has created a stunning venue that combines English architectural references with classical Mediterranean styling. You must try it when you next visit.

I am glad to hear you have experience Bassoon Bar, which always has a fantastic vibe. Inspired by a 1920s Art Deco music room, Bassoon Bar is an intimate space featuring a 7 meter long piano bar. We have regular performers creating a relaxing entertainment for the evening and I recommend you keep an eye out for our Signature Sessions. ESPA Life at Corinthia is our award winning spa and I am pleased to hear you have experienced this. Covering an area of 3300m2 and spanning four floors, the spa contains plenty of relaxation areas providing perfect opportunities for a quick sleep in the quiet surroundings.

I hope you have enjoyed your recent visit to Corinthia Hotel London and that we may continue to welcome you back.

Kind regards
Matthew Dixon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We stayed here for two days....our first visit in London. Great location with the Trafalgar Square close by. Very close to the embankment station as well as Charing Cross. We also enjoy the short stroll to Covent Garden and Liecester Square for eating out.

We had the afternoon high tea after we checked-in. Took a awhile to get a waiter to serve us though. The room was excellent and very clean. Although the housekeeping forgot to replenish the coffee pods but was able to get more when asked.

The toiletries contain nutmeg, don't know about other people but we both had allergic reactions to the shampoo and body wash. My husband woke up late one night covered in rashes, when he contacted reception for assistance they could not understand the term 'anti histamine' and directed him to a pharmacy that was closed!! My husband had to spend £40 on a taxi looking around for a late pharmacy.

Another downfall, we had breakfast in the hotel on our last day. The food wasn't that great for the price that they are asking. The bacon was quite chewy and dry. The eggs were dry as well. Much more variety of food is needed.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for you review. Corinthia Hotel London is very centrally located at the heart of culture, politics, business and entertainment. I am pleased to hear you were able to explore the local area as well as our offerings within the hotel. Afternoon Tea in The Lobby Lounge underneath soaring Baccarat Chandelier is a memorable experience and I hope you enjoyed the wonderful selection of sandwiches and quintessentially British cakes. We strive to provide efficient and welcoming service and I am very sorry that you experienced some delay in service.

I was most concerned to learn that you experienced a reaction to our bathroom products and the inconvenience you and your husband experienced as a result of the response of our Reception team. I have addressed this with our Front of House Manager as I fully appreciate this must have been very frustrating especially when prompt and accurate assistance was required. I am sorry too that our breakfast offering disappointed and have spoken with our Executive Chef to ensure we are monitoring the variety and quality of the food in this area. Thank you for taking to time to provide your valuable feedback as it is only with this we can continue to improve the service and product we provide. I do hope we are able to welcome you back to the Corinthia London on another occasion.

Kind regards
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed here for our anniversary weekend, what can we say..totally blown away by the decor, hospitality, location, food and comfort of this hotel. The spa is a must, set over 4 floors, totally the most elegant spa that we have come across..its amazing. The little touches (esp. the flowers) were spot on,the staff and management professional and friendly-oh and the oysters and seabass in the northall restaurant left us speechless! Would definitely recommend to couples, families (the children have time slots where they can enjoy the spa too) or anyone looking for a piece of heaven in London.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
I greatly enjoyed reading your review and would like to thank you for choosing to spend such an important occasion with us at Corinthia London. I was pleased to read that you were blown away by our hospitality and the hotel’s locations, décor and fine dining. As you mentioned, our 4 floor ESPA Life at Corinthia spa is very elegant and a must if you are visiting the hotel – particularly as its gym and thermal floor spa is complementary to our hotel guests. I’m glad you enjoyed the oysters and sea bass in The Northall – the restaurant sources the very best of British produce to serve to our guests and it certainly shows in the quality and flavour of their dishes. I do hope you will be able to join us at Corinthia London again in the future – it was a pleasure to have you stay with us.

frome, somerset
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We have stayed a few times recently and every time has been great.

The Corinthia is simply the best place to stay in London. Check in was efficient and all the staff are friendly and nothing is too much trouble.

The room was luxurious. The bed was one of the most comfortable ive ever slept in and what sets The Corinthia apart from other London hotels is that it is very quiet. You dont get people shouting on the corridors at 3am here! The bathroom is incredible, with the best rain shower and of course you get bathrobes and slippers as standard. Another great touch is the nespresso coffee machine in every room. This just adds to its class. The hotel is in a great location in the centre of London, with Embankment tube stop a minutes walk away.

There is everything you could possibly want at breakfast and breakfast is served in a stunning room.

I can not fault this place and i am hard to please!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your fantastic review of Corinthia Hotel London. I am pleased to hear that you were impressed with our team and the hotel’s location, décor and amenities. I’m glad you enjoyed the Nespresso coffee machine – we recognise that it is the finer details which can truly add value to a guest’s experience. I’m very happy to learn you enjoyed Breakfast in The Northall and do hope you will be able to enjoy it again soon, should you return to Corinthia Hotel London. I hope to welcome you again in the future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2012

The hotel is indeed stunning... the lobbies, spa and other common areas in particular. The rooms are nice too, tasteful decoration, relatively spacious, with luxurious bathrooms. We loved the location on a quiet street just minutes away from Trafulgar Square and Embankment station, and a short walk from Covent Garden, the London Eye, etc.

We used the spa frequently. They have restricted hours for children but I’m guessing only enforce it when they either have paying spa guests or when the children are little and rambunctious. In any case, they didn’t make a big deal about my 13 year old being there outside the limited specified hours (policy restricted under 14s).

The service at check in was very welcoming. Otherwise the staff were courteous, but not particularly warm.

My few complaints would be that the AC in my room wasn’t great (whereas it was fine in the adjacent room), and that there weren’t adequate drawers for clothes.

Room Tip: I had asked for a room on the exterior but was given one on the interior courtyards, which was very...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
I am glad that you found Corinthia London to be a stunning hotel in a great location. As you mentioned, we are very centrally placed making it easy to get around London and walk to many of the city’s key sights, should one wish.

It is wonderful to hear that you made good use of our Spa ESPA Life at Corinthia. As you mention the Spa has allocated two time slots daily for children under 14 to enjoy the pool in order that we are catering for the needs of all our guests.

I am pleased that you experienced a warm welcome and apologise if, at times, the team were not as warm as you would have wished. I do hope that you were able to communicate the AC issue to our team as we have a fantastic team on site that can rectify such issues.
I hope to welcome you to the hotel again in the future.

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I just got back from five nights spent at the Corinthia Hotel. I cannot express how much I enjoyed myself. I nearly teared up when it was time to leave. I stayed in a Deluxe King Room, overlooking Whitehall Place (which was at my request--I don't really like inward facing hotel rooms). I'm not a super light sleeper, but I did leave the window open for the entire visit and I didn't find it all that noisy. Your mileage may vary.

I entered the room into a kind of vestibule. To the right, was the bedroom itself, with the bed, TV console, a round table with two chairs, two bedside tables and some built-ins. To the left was a generously sized bath with a separate (huge) rainforest shower, deep soaking tub (with a wall-mounted TV at one end) and double sink. Straight ahead was a large walk-in closet.

Everything was decorated to the highest standard--marble, wood and chrome in the bath; sophisticated, muted colors in the bedroom (with jewel tone accents). The room had a Nespresso machine and the necessary fixings for multiple varieties of tea and coffee. The electrical design was really smart. They had a wall of outlets all intended for electrical plugs of different shapes and sizes (and voltages, I'm guessing, though I didn't need to test that). The room's lights were controlled by panels either on the wall or bedside, and you could choose various schemes (full light, mood lighting, reading lights, etc.), depending upon your needs. Room availability (Do Not Disturb, Please Make Up Room) was also managed by electrical means. The wireless internet was free and speedy.

The minibar included several different hard liquors, a couple different kinds of wine, soft drinks, designer chocolates and various nuts from Harrods (among other goodies). Each night, as part of the turn-down service, chocolate was left on the pillows. The television selection was good, but skewed towards European programming. Americans looking for familiar channels will be disappointed. The only U.S. station was the Discovery Channel (why would you fly all the way to London to watch TV anyway, though--go out and soak in the culture!).

The hotel has everything you need--a hair salon (which I didn't frequent), a spa (which I certainly did--more on that in a minute), three restaurants (Lobby Lounge, Northall, Massimos), and a bar. There is also a small flower shop/Harrods boutique.

I didn't plan on it, but I ate every meal at the hotel. Breakfast was delicious. There was an extensive buffet set up with hot and cold entrees, as well as an a la carte menu. Northall was elegant and featured a modern, mixed menu. I highly, =highly= recommend the duck. Though the filet was excellent was well. I didn't eat at Massimos (though I have no doubt it upholds the high standard of the other restaurants), but you're really missing out if you don't have high tea in the Lobby Lounge. They offered a superb selection of finger sandwiches and pastries, and if you're a bit of a tea novice (like me!), the servers were only too happy to offer suggestions.

The ESPA spa is outstanding. I had a massage, facial, mani-pedi and visited their osteopath twice. He's a genius. I got off the plane after my eight hour flight, virtually unable to move my lower back. He used acupuncture, massage and stretches to get me back in shape. I don't know what I would have done without him. The facility itself is nearly all underground, which I'll confess made it feel a bit cave-like at times. But it, like everything else, is beautifully appointed and the thermal floor with its pool, sauna, steam room, vitality pool (super powered Jacuzzi stations all in a single large pool) and heated chaises was the height of luxury.

The location is unbelievably convenient. The Embankment tube stop is virtually across the street, Trafalgar Square is perhaps a couple of blocks away. Parliament, 10 Downing Street and Westminister Abbey are all less than a 10 minute walk and the Covent Garden theatre district is perhaps five minutes more than that (though there is a theatre directly across the street).

What truly sets the Corinthia apart, however, is the standard of the service. The woman who checked me in walked me to my room to show me around. After one visit to the Northall, the staff knew me by name and were always highly solicitous of my needs. All the therapists at the spa were friendly and helpful, and truly seemed as if they cared about my well-being.

I can't recommend the Corinthia highly enough. The next time I return to London, that's where I'll be staying. They showed me an awesome time.

Room Tip: If you're planning on using the spa (particularly the pool and/or thermal floor), there's a...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank KMarieR
Thank you for your glowing review of Corinthia Hotel London. It is wonderful to hear just how much you enjoyed your stay and that you were impressed by our room and bathroom offering. As you mentioned, we also have a rather luxurious minibar and turndown service. Thank you for your feedback on the TV channels available and this is certainly something we will consider for the future. As you said, there are many wonderful things to see and do in London – many of which can be reached by foot from the hotel.

Corinthia Hotel London does indeed feature London’s second Daniel Galvin hair salon, which is a unique offering. I would certainly recommend visiting Daniel Galvin at Corinthia on your next visit. Our two restaurants offer fine dining and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed Breakfast at our British restaurant, The Northall. The Lobby Lounge also offers breakfast, lunch and dinner, yet is celebrated for having one of London’s finest Afternoon Tea services. I am very happy that you were able to experience our High Tea service. ESPA Life at Corinthia is London’s largest hotel spa and is designed to deliver complete serenity and relaxation from the exciting city that surrounds it. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the treatments and that you visited Bhart Shemar, our in-house Osteopath.

I hope you will visit us again soon and that you will have time to enjoy the spa again, as well as our restaurants. On your return, I would greatly recommend trying Massimo Restaurant & Oyster Bar, as well as experiencing ESPA Life’s Bamboo Joint-Release Experience.

New York
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This hotel is just gorgeous. I was travelling for work and always stay in a 5 star property. This one was truly over the top. From the beautiful lobby and restaurants to the bright, clean, modern rooms. Really this property exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
I am pleased that you had such an enjoyable time at Corinthia Hotel London. Thank you very much for your wonderful review, I was glad to hear we exceeded expectations. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.